The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

I think Bo was talking more about the gong show state of the team during his tenure here. But I gotta say it hurts because Vancouver was not even brought up by the reporter. 

I guess the combination of the extension talks souring and seeing his jersey thrown on the ice did make an impression on him.

Nevertheless my opinion on him as a leader for the team has taken a hit.

Edited by DSVII

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Too many hypersensitive people around here. The guy just had a great game. The interviewer set him up find out a) what it felt like to be going to the playoffs and b) how having the NYI fans behind the team was so helpful going into the playoffs. She was asking for an opinion about going to the playoffs with the Islanders in front of a rabid crowd. In terms of his experience in Vancouver, he NEVER experienced that fan excitement in Vancouver, because the one year they actually played in the playoffs, it was 17 games in front of empty stands in Edmonton. Nine and a half years is a really long time to go without experiencing the excitement that comes with making the playoffs. In Bo's opinion, his current situation is way better than Vancouver's, so why wouldn't he be eager to finally get that opportunity?

Besides, even if he did mean to take a shot at Vancouver, who cares? He owes us nothing and we don't owe him. But remember this: For nine and a half years Bo dedicated himself completely to the Vancouver Canucks with loyalty and character. He worked hard to be a good player and gave us a lot of great moments. It is stupid to ignore all that just because he correctly said his current situation was better than Vancouver. It IS better, and Bo is showing the Islanders the same loyalty he showed the Canucks. In other words, he was being what he has always been: a guy who puts the team first.

Now all of this might seem like I am a Horvat apologist. I am not. I never felt he was assertive enough as a captain and he was a less than committed forechecker. I was also frequently annoyed that he didn't stick up for his teammates in scrums. The absolute last straw for me was when Max Domi laid a vicious crosscheck on Dakota Joshua after Joshua had scored. Horvat was standing right there and didn't so much as look at Domi, much less let him know that he'd crossed a line. Then I remembered that he and Domi are old buddies and Domi was best man at Horvat's wedding. Oh. 

I am now completely ambivalent about Horvat, as I am about most Canucks who have moved on. I am just relieved that management apparently decided that he was not the captain they were looking for and did not commit to $68M over eight more years.

I’m with you on this better to take the high road enough getting butt hurt let’s just move on with class and don’t allow our haters to make us stoop to their level.

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

Not sure if people realize how bad the reputation of the Canucks is outside the bubble of local fandom. 
All the PR nightmares this year, openly dangling players and coaches jobs. 
The incoherent direction the team has taken and the constant losing.

Outside of the Vancouver fandom we are a bigger butt of jokes than the Yotes. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Not sure if people realize how bad the reputation of the Canucks is outside the bubble of local fandom. 

Yip. The truth hurts, but F'em all. We have our issues but a half century with no cup and we have the right to be little bitches. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

You’ve literally been shitting on him since the trade now you’re crying that he took a minor shot back? :lol:

2 Assists tonight too as well as 69% (nice) on FO, so much for shitting the bed as usual eh Sam? ::D

You should cheer for the Islanders now lol

They are about to get blown up this Summer..

They've put their money into the wrong guy and would have done better hanging onto their 1st round pick and doing what the Canucks have done.

The Isles have 9 forwards between 30 and 38 years old,  only one of those contracts expires this Summer.

I said the same about the Sharks 2 years ago, actually started trade proposal to target BBurns who I thought we could grab with good retention.

You need to look at the situation that Horvat chose to go to,   It was a poor decision, he’ll never see a cup with the Isles.… but Bo loves money.

He was pumped here,.  And it worked out great for us.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • There it is 1
  • elephant 1

16 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

His comments were fair. The Canucks are finishing another miserable season. Would be a lot more fun playing on a team in a playoff race.  People shouldn’t read it as a dig at the city, maybe the organization but with the year we had both on and off the ice that is again fair. 
‘He was also somewhat done dirty by the current group of management. It is a big boy game so that shouldn’t bother him too much but he is human. 

Also people are making the same mistake with Beau that they are with the club. Only looking at the hot streak and saying this is what we have. He is a small, speedy middle six 18-22 goal scoring winger that provides some forecheck. That is it. Tocchet has been quite critical of his game and he makes too much for what he brings. He should be on the trade block if we bumped up his value along with Garland and Brock. 

The Isles are clinging to a playoff spot by 1 point tied with Florida. Odds are they make the playoffs as their last two games are the Caps and Habs. The Pens have the Hawks and Columbus. Florida has the tough finish with TO and the Canes. As much as I believed Horvat really overpriced himself I hoped he made the playoffs when traded. That said, I hope the Isles fall flat on their face and miss the playoffs now. There was no need for Blovat to even mention Vancouver in that manner. For a guy we all considered to be classy, it was rather classless.

I don't see how he was done dirty at all. He asked for far too much and was traded as a result. Horvat left Vancouver on pace for a 50 goal season. With two games left he's still 2 short of 40. I don't think he should be casting any stones.

• Thanks 2
  • elephant 1

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Yes and deservedly so.  It was the same for the Oilers, years ago.  Hopefully this leaky boat will be fixed

and headed off into a more satisfying direction in the upcoming years.

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Yes and deservedly so.  It was the same for the Oilers, years ago.  Hopefully this leaky boat will be fixed

and headed off into a more satisfying direction in the upcoming years.

It's going to take a wholesale cleaning of management and bringing in a group capable of acting like professionals, similar to Burke after the Keenan debacle.

6 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

I remember the islanders fans chanting “ We Don’t Need You “ after Tavares was traded and had to play in his old building. I could see that chant in Vancouver next season 

Busch Beer GIF by Busch

Bingo !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

He's not exactly wrong

But, no need to say that

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well nothing surprising in fans being unhappy about no making the play offs year after year and ingeneral sucking. 
Wonder how the Isle fans were treating their team, for all the years they didn't do anything? Or did they have any fans hanging around applauding them during those days?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

WOW!! I really wouldn;t have expected such a comment from Bo...quite classless... and I always wanted us to keep him instead of JT but from what I see of team improvement and a seeming change in Miller's attitude it seems there was something amiss with Horvat that we were not aware of. Anyways I now hope he continues to suck with the Isles and suck be has...for a 8.5 Million man especially

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • elephant 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

He had no needs to add the comments he did, showed his class right there. I've heard a couple of players saying how it's a pleasure once again to come to the rink and now we know why. It's also clear why JR/PA decided to keep Miller and get rid of Horvat, fans it's a new era, better to have  a Miller and Kuzmenko that a disgruntled Horvat :gocan:

Well I'm sure many fans will be waiting for his return next season to give him a warm Vcr welcome ...yeah right. I know I'll be there enjoying every moment

Hope you give him hell... what a clown. 

• Like 1