The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[3-Way Trade] Bruins acquire Dmitry Orlov, Garnet Hathaway, Andrei Svetlakov; Capitals acquire Craig Smith, 2023 1st-round pick, 2024 3rd-round pick, 2025 2nd-round pick; Wild acquire 2023 5th-round pick

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Wild have to be the best run franchise in the league!

Billy G is slowing building a team

and culture there. Letting Judd do his draft thing and waiting for those Parise/Suter buyouts to burn out. When those are off the books look out, they have a long term plan. Looking good thus far.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

My question is, do the retentions still count at the draft? The season and playoffs have ended but the draft still technically is a part of the 2022/2023 season which we would still have Bo and as @Mike Vanderhoekhas said possibly Boeser and Myers being retention candidates. So while acquiring another 4th would be good for us, keeping retention slots around the draft would be wise. Like you said college free agents is another avenue. Better to keep our contract limit down so we can pick up a few diamonds in the rough (Jake Livingstone please!) very good points BTF, cheers to that. Will be interesting what we end up doing with our cap space, retention slots and contract limit. 

No, it would be retaining on the next season.  There is no more pay or days of the regular season left to retain after the regular season which is how they calculate the cap (# of days in the regular season).  All the retention for contracts expiring this season would be over.

The draft is not part of the season.  July 1st is just the arbitrary date when contracts expire and renew.

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

My question is, do the retentions still count at the draft? The season and playoffs have ended but the draft still technically is a part of the 2022/2023 season which we would still have Bo and as @Mike Vanderhoekhas said possibly Boeser and Myers being retention candidates. So while acquiring another 4th would be good for us, keeping retention slots around the draft would be wise. Like you said college free agents is another avenue. Better to keep our contract limit down so we can pick up a few diamonds in the rough (Jake Livingstone please!) very good points BTF, cheers to that. Will be interesting what we end up doing with our cap space, retention slots and contract limit. 

I think that since the regular season has ended, then the number of retained salary contracts won't matter at that time, but you better have a maximum of 3 by the time the next season starts.

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

i mean replace barzal with Horvat they'll just be back to where they were pre-trade. Horvat actually out produced barzal this season at EV. so they'll likely still be floating around the WC spot unless a team goes on a tear

Yes agree with this. With both Horvat and Barzal I think NYI should get into the playoffs. Without Barzal it is not as clear cut for them. 

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

Yes agree with this. With both Horvat and Barzal I think NYI should get into the playoffs. Without Barzal it is not as clear cut for them. 

ya definitely not a clear cut but i don't see them plunging out of the playoff race till the last day of the season like people are predicting

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I wonder if Minnesota has the first-mover advantage of this. Seems like they were the first to think outside of the box and now all of the bottom feeder teams have caught whiff and are piling on.

Is the influx of teams willing to take on cap retention as a third party broker creating more competition such that the return will be comparatively less than what Minnesota's been able to get for their past two deals? 

Washington definitely sellers at this point. From nhl.com:

The Capitals' 3-1 loss to the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday was their fifth straight, leaving them two points behind the Florida Panthers for the second wild card into the Stanley Cup Playoffs in the Eastern Conference. Tied with Detroit and one point behind the Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington (28-25-6) faces an uphill climb to qualify for the playoffs for the ninth straight season and might have to consider selling at the deadline if it continues to struggle.

The Capitals have 11 healthy players eligible to become unrestricted free agents after this season, including defensemen Dmitry Orlov, Nick Jensen, Trevor van Riemsdyk, Erik Gustafsson, Matt Irwin and Dylan McIlrath and forwards Lars Eller, Garnet Hathaway, Conor Sheary, Marcus Johansson and Nicolas Aube-Kubel.

3 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

It still counts at the draft.  The CBA talks of remaining term and it's only on 30 June that expiring contracts come off the books so the retained contract spot is still part of the ledger through the draft.  UFAs for example can't start talking to teams before free agency starts on 1 July.

From the CBA:

(A) For the remaining term of Traded Player's SPC, the Club from which the Player is Traded may agree to retain no more than fifty (50) percent of the Averaged Amount of such SPC's remaining term ("Retained Salary Transaction" and the particular SPC, a "Retained Salary SPC"). In each Retained Salary Transaction, the percentage allocation of the retained Averaged Amount cannot be altered from year to year.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I wonder if Minnesota has the first-mover advantage of this. Seems like they were the first to think outside of the box and now all of the bottom feeder teams have caught whiff and are piling on.

Is the influx of teams willing to take on cap retention as a third party broker creating more competition such that the return will be comparatively less than what Minnesota's been able to get for their past two deals? 

Not like they got much to begin with a 4th and a 5th rounder, but it is being aggressive to get more chips as currently a playoff team to be able to move a bad contract in the offseason if they choose to.  A stanley cup contender unlikely but who knows who might come out of the west this year.

Edited by amplified0ne

Wonder if Boston is done, Orlov can play top 4 minutes. Surely they're out on Gavrikov if they've spunked their 1st rounder?

Good to see we're open for business for cap but teams are only getting late picks unless they eat 50% of the cap.

Going to be a very complex last week...I hope deals don't fall through because of timing but I think a few will because of the 3 ways.

13 hours ago, Provost said:

I am not getting this, has Washington decided to throw in the towel or is another move happening?

Washington is 2 points out of a wildcard spot with aging players.

Are they going to be both sellers and buyers?

WSH knows their time is done.    The East is just too loaded.    Smart move that's a lot of futures.    Ovi likely spends the rest of his contract like the Sedins did.   It's a smart move really if winning a cup is the goal.    Odds of them getting another one is very very slim with their team the way it is right now.     

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Wonder if Boston is done, Orlov can play top 4 minutes. Surely they're out on Gavrikov if they've spunked their 1st rounder?

Good to see we're open for business for cap but teams are only getting late picks unless they eat 50% of the cap.

Going to be a very complex last week...I hope deals don't fall through because of timing but I think a few will because of the 3 ways.

Sounds like it's pretty quick to involve a team to play 3rd party broker.  The Wild were contacted during their game for the O'Reilly trade and the deal went through later that night.  For the Orlov trade they were contacted the same afternoon of the trade (dixit Russo).  Guerin had informed teams around the league that they were looking to get involved as 3rd team.  Would think that other interested teams have done the same.

It's primarily salary that is relevant in playing 3rd party broker more than cap space.  Giving up a few millions when a team has millions in deadline cap space available is not much of an issue if the team isn't in LTIR.  That cap space was going to be left unused anyway so might as well get an asset out of it.

The Wild projected to have some 15M in deadline cap space available before those 2 trades and still project to have around 11.5M per CapFriendly and it's going to continue to grow as the season goes along as they aren't in LTIR (ie they aren't at risk of missing out on college UFAs for lack of cap space).  Buffalo might not be sellers and project to have 80M so they could easily play along if they wish to.  It's probably more the retention spots the issue as only 3 are available and these aren't released until 30 June (or beyond if the player has term).  If a team has UFAs to sell they might not be in position to get involved.  Toronto, Florida played 3rd party broker as playoff teams - they weren't going to remove from their roster and had cap space to spare.

Edited by mll

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

WSH knows their time is done.    The East is just too loaded.    Smart move that's a lot of futures.    Ovi likely spends the rest of his contract like the Sedins did.   It's a smart move really if winning a cup is the goal.    Odds of them getting another one is very very slim with their team the way it is right now.     

I am not disagreeing that it could be smart in the end… really tough call to make though when in a playoff race.

I am literally the guy always saying GMs too often chase the illusion of being in a playoff race.  Two points with a game makes it a coin flip for your chances.

I don’t think we have ever seen it happen before where a GM punted on a year when they could easily be playoff bound for the same of some futures that are years away.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am not disagreeing that it could be smart in the end… really tough call to make though when in a playoff race.

I am literally the guy always saying GMs too often chase the illusion of being in a playoff race.  Two points with a game makes it a coin flip for your chances.

I don’t think we have ever seen it happen before where a GM punted on a year when they could easily be playoff bound for the same of some futures that are years away.

St, Louis has done it on more than one occasion.