The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can we Compare the Canucks to the Avs?

Rate this topic

Makaramel MacKhiato

1 minute ago, Makaramel MacKhiato said:

Discussing with a friend the other day, and it seems like the trajectory of the Canucks is eerily similar to that of the Colorado Avalanche's 6 years ago. So I decided to make a bit of a comparison of similarities between the 2 teams:
image.thumb.png.b1de7751044d1389036ab328b8007061.png

*I find that one of the MAJOR differences between the 2 teams is that we have a legit starter in Demko. 

** I also should note that Devon Toews won the cup in his 2nd season with the Avalanche... 

Do you think we could be closer to winning the cup than we think!?

If we could buyout OEL and fully dumperoo Garland and Myers, while getting a great 3C and bringing Tanev back to partner with z Hughes we could be very very very good. 

I personally don't see the similarities. The 2021-2022 Avs team were an absolute juggernaut, I don't see how the Canucks can replicate something like that. It takes years of great management in order to build up enough depth to construct that kind of roster. I don't believe it is out of question for the Canucks to build a contender but it is going to take a few more years of building for us to get there. I don't think we are particularly close yet.

• Cheers 1

We are still comparing Makar to Hughes?  We might have our own MacKinnon and Makar in Pettersson and Hughes (although anyone would rather take the former), but who is Rantanen and Kadri?  Kuzmenko and Miller?  Who is Toews and Byram?  Hronek and Hirose?  What about Nichuskin and Burakovsky...? Beauvilier and Boeser?  That team was stacked to the t**** and we cannot compare.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Toews said:

I personally don't see the similarities. The 2021-2022 Avs team were an absolute juggernaut, I don't see how the Canucks can replicate something like that. It takes years of great management in order to build up enough depth to construct that kind of roster. I don't believe it is out of question for the Canucks to build a contender but it is going to take a few more years of building for us to get there. I don't think we are particularly close yet.

I don’t think Canucks will contend for another 5 years but is it possible that this team “gets it” next year and becomes the next Dallas, Minnesota, Seattle or Carolina? Yes it’s possible but not likely.

• Cheers 1

I'm not sure about all of the various similarities, but I have noticed the marked similarities in the career paths of MacKinnon and Pettersson so far. While they are different players from a playstyle perspective, their trajectories have been very similar thus far.

• Vintage 1

Mackinnon>>>>EP

makar>hughes

rantanen>>kuzmenko

Landeskog=Miller

their #2 3 4 defenceman prolly = or as good as hronek and better than anything we have outside of hughes/hronek

their supporting cast of kadri nush burakovsky is prolly than what we have in our top 6 boeser garland 

i dont see any similarities

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

If we could buyout OEL and fully dumperoo Garland and Myers, while getting a great 3C and bringing Tanev back to partner with z Hughes we could be very very very good. 

I’m thinking now that there is no other way without a buyout… which will affect the team most in a couple years, but not as bad as having OEL playing for the team and his salary.

1 hour ago, Makaramel MacKhiato said:

Discussing with a friend the other day, and it seems like the trajectory of the Canucks is eerily similar to that of the Colorado Avalanche's 6 years ago. So I decided to make a bit of a comparison of similarities between the 2 teams:
image.thumb.png.b1de7751044d1389036ab328b8007061.png

Main differences: Vancouver has a franchise goalie in Demko... BUT also have cap trouble...

** I also should note that Devon Toews won the cup in his 2nd season with the Avalanche... 

Do you think we could be closer to winning the cup than we think!?

Maybe compare to the 2012/2013 avalanche… they were 27 th in defense. We have a long way to go.

Colorado trading an overpaid winger and a defenceman who can't play defence for an excellent second line center is something that is going to be difficult to replicate.  You're looking at the equivalent of OEL and Beauvillier in exchange for Hischier. 

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Wise Guy said:

We are still years away from undoing the damage the Green regime has done to this team, granted, we are finally headed in the right direction but success is still a long ways off.

You are being overdramatic about Green. We've also already had quite the turnover on players. Looks to me like Rick Tocc has let the players know what he expects of them.

Plus we have assistant coaches that know how to teach defence. I would not be surprised if Boeser, Garland, Hoglander, Rathbone, and Myers are gone in the offseason.

I think we're stuck with OEL. In the end we will see how things pan out.

• Cheers 1

AVs lucked out time with McKinnons cap hit. They basically had 10 mil player who was on 6 mil contract and were able to use the money to acquire the players like Toews.  They were also able to convince Landeskog to sign for below market. That’s two major pieces in their core enabling the team to add pieces needed to get them over the hump. You might find some similarities in players but cap structure is where the difference lies.   

56 minutes ago, TiTaniuM said:

AVs lucked out time with McKinnons cap hit. They basically had 10 mil player who was on 6 mil contract and were able to use the money to acquire the players like Toews.  They were also able to convince Landeskog to sign for below market. That’s two major pieces in their core enabling the team to add pieces needed to get them over the hump. You might find some similarities in players but cap structure is where the difference lies.   

Well I say it's better negotiating from the management side than luck. 

We are not close but not as bad as other teams think.

We find a way to move Myers,Trade Bear, Brock and he a pick plus a 3c.

Hirose steps up play as good as we hope plus Johansson comes in plays great and McWard is decent we should have a very solid D. 

Saying that if they happen we will be a playoff team that's hungry. 

We signed a couple d that can step in and play with injuries. 

Demko stays healthy and our scorers score we will be better but just don't see us being as good as that AV's but you never know.  

Year after Pearson and Poolman gone plus then buyout OEL and we have more then enough cap room to sign EP and Hronek.

Edited by cripplereh

Don't forget Girard, Toews, Manson, Kadri and Manson...plus Newhook and Byram.    Sakic did a masterful job...now that cap constraints are also affect them, support players likely get moved...that said it's at another level then what we currently have. 

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Before this tread gets out of control....read this..........Go back 45 years and only two teams have won the Stanley Cup without a top-three draft pick on their roster - and we don't have one!

Can you win a Stanley Cup without a Top 3 draft pick? (sportsnet.ca)

Maaaaaan.

I hate this but it so true. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Before this tread gets out of control....read this..........Go back 45 years and only two teams have won the Stanley Cup without a top-three draft pick on their roster - and we don't have one!

Can you win a Stanley Cup without a Top 3 draft pick? (sportsnet.ca)

Time to break another record....:ph34r:

• There it is 1