The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

allvin's choices to lower cap?

Rate this topic

smithers joe

Not sure there is much there for option number 2 short of the core players. 
I think it is really 3 and 4 we will see this off-season. 
Next years first will be used to buy cap space to get a UFA 3rd line centre that will leave us with the question of how are we going to clear cap space for the following season to fit the $20M dollars being payed to Pettey and Hronek.

Edited by DrJockitch

Garland has the most value out of guys we'd be willing to move to clear cap. Trade him for any pick possible. Then offload Myers asap. Then wait out the rest of our inefficient contracts, which at that point won't be many.

Oh, and pray to Yahweh that Poolman and Pearson are never coming back.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Garland has the most value out of guys we'd be willing to move to clear cap. Trade him for any pick possible. Then offload Myers asap. Then wait out the rest of our inefficient contracts, which at that point won't be many.

Oh, and pray to Yahweh that Poolman and Pearson are never coming back.

would Yahweh listen to any prayers about OEL not coming back?

• Cheers 1

We have so many 3rd and 4th round picks, I wouldn't mind using a few of them as a sweetener to get rid of some of the big contracts. I also wouldn't mind retaining. 

At the end of the day for me, Garland, Beauvillier and Myers are the guys we should try and move. No point trying to move OEL, he's not going anywhere unless we buy him out or spend a 1st and both are bad ideas. Boeser is probably more valuable to the club if he stays now, I doubt we'd get anything good back for him at this rate when he's at his lowest value and he may really explode this year.

Surely 25 year old Beauvillier on a 4M deal is tempting for teams lacking depth offence. Garland is a tricky one but again, hopefully teams would be enticed by his gritty style and if we have to retain 1M, so be it. Surely there's a vague sort of market for Myers if we retained 1 or 2M as well.

In my books we need 2 of these contracts gone to pay the extensions, get a 3C and a solid top-4 defenceman, maybe even all 3. Graves, Mayfield or Gavrikov would be so ideal, but would set us back anywhere from 4-6M. A 3C can be found pretty cheaply, somewhere around the 2-4M range. There's 7M in extensions but a lot of cap off the books which equates to around 3-4M. So essentially we need around 10-12M in cap space.

Even if it costs us a 3rd and 4th or couple of thirds to move Myers and Garland, you do it because we add by subtraction and then go ahead and acquire a solid top-4 UFA defenceman and a 3C.

The more complex route would be to trade one of our guys for a relatively over-paid guy of a positional need, like a top-4 D-man (which is surely impossible or it would have happened by now) or a center.

46 minutes ago, Gurn said:

do not trade draft picks, do not retain money, do not buy out.

So tired of watching the future get butchered, to ice a mediocre current team.

This. Break the cycle of bad management.
Let Myers play out his contract unless he somehow gets any return at the deadline that does not involve cap back. 

Stay out of UFA market this year. 
Retention no longer than the upcoming season or maybe 2 if it is Brock and the return is excellent. 
Build up the system to feed the team instead of trading pics and prospects for players near big extensions when we have no flexibility. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The coming season is about steady the ship.

No impatient moves whatsoever.

If we want to trade our players not wanted, we have to wait til oppurtunity knocks on the door.

The seacond season from now is when the real window starts and by then we will see how good our prospects are and what areas needs bettering.

So maybe before next draft we will see some impatient moves if we don’t get the necessary players within ranks or through clever trades.

Edited by Timråfan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

do not trade draft picks, do not retain money, do not buy out.

So tired of watching the future get butchered, to ice a mediocre current team.

This, just ride it out. The season will be what it'll be. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

I, too, am tired of seeing this team handcuffed year after year with bad contracts/buyouts and a bare cupboard.

Garland I believe we can get a decent return,

Brock I think will be back in a much better space, I expect/hope for that to continue.

OEL let's see what the 1st quarter brings?

Meyers 3rd pairing at 1 mill.

3 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Retain a bit if need be.

Ideally have redundant assets traded for futures.

agree - it was mentioned at deadline - dredger tweet? that if Canucks retain 1.6 or so on Boeser "there was a trade to make." of course it didn't happen because the return was not sweet enough for nucks to retain, or, per their projections they could not afford to retain anything.

I believe if you want to give Brock away for a 3rd pick or later, several teams would be interested ---- Chicago, Anaheim, maybe the jets... Brock + Bedard on PP1, bump rocks numbers, then flip him or sign him

Edited by Canucks Curse

If they desperately need cap space, retain on short contracts like Beau or Myers will be ok, if it can help trades. 
Otherwise just take a step back and lets see how we do with a whole season of Hronek and a fiit Demko. 

• Upvote 1