The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Senators trade Alex DeBrincat to Red Wings for Dominik Kubalik, Donovan Sebrango, conditional 2024 1st-round pick, 2024 4th-round pick

Yzerman cooking, buy low on Debrincat. He's not the type of forward I'd want to build around but that team lacks a pure goal scorer, and it didn't cost much. I like Kubalik though to be honest and the prospects may never play in the NHL but the first is hard to give up, surprised by that. Yzerman wants to go for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

So I guess signing a contract in this era means nothing in today’s NHL.

It’s pretty disgusting that this is becoming more common. 

The NHL certainly has changed. RFAs has more control than ever because teams can't afford to let high profile players on their roster sit and definitely can't let them walk before they become UFAs. 

Maybe it's not so bad that Canucks are drafting more European players. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Yzerman cooking, buy low on Debrincat. He's not the type of forward I'd want to build around but that team lacks a pure goal scorer, and it didn't cost much. I like Kubalik though to be honest and the prospects may never play in the NHL but the first is hard to give up, surprised by that. Yzerman wants to go for it.

That's odd considering he traded Filip Hronek for ASP and another pick.  Why would he do that if he's going for it?

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's odd considering he traded Filip Hronek for ASP and another pick.  Why would he do that if he's going for it?

I figure he didn’t want to commit on Hronek long term. Perhaps didn’t see that sort of fit with the D-core too. Redwings also have some pretty nice D prospects even before drafting ASP. 

Johansson(2019 2nd) and Wallinder(2020 2nd) both put up 25+ seasons each in the SHL as under 21 year olds. They also have  Tuomisto(2019 2nd) who had a great year in the men’s league in Finland. Tuomisto and Wallinder are making the NA jump next year, could surprise or may take time to adjust like Johansson. 

And finally Edvinsson(2021 6th overall)who just finished his first year of NA and will perhaps make the jump next year in the NHL. 

All these D are big, young, high draft picks on the cusp. 

Overall redwings have one of the best D-core prospect pools in the league. They could afford to move Hronek. They likely didn’t want to re-sign him at the price he was looking to get. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think he's doing a it of retooling on the fly as we sort of did - trade one decent player for picks (a bit like how we dealt Bo for picks/prospects) and then pay that pick/prospect forward to get a decent player. All comes down to not wanting to re-sign the star - same thing we did with Bo.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think he's doing a it of retooling on the fly as we sort of did - trade one decent player for picks (a bit like how we dealt Bo for picks/prospects) and then pay that pick/prospect forward to get a decent player. All comes down to not wanting to re-sign the star - same thing we did with Bo.

Except Detroit doesn’t have any elite players left after trading Hronek. He was their best player and was keeping them in the middle of the standings with his great play. Yzerboy knew he had to move Hronek in order to tank for a higher pick in hopes of finding elite guys in the draft. 

• Wat 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Seems like the Redwings did an actual retool/rebuild on the fly. 

They’ve revamped their roster and have a whole bunch of youngsters on the way. 

Having a top 5 prospect pool definitely helps. 

Detroit sucks pucks. Yzerboy gets the axe soon. 

• Wat 1

8 hours ago, JamesB said:

The Sens did not get a lot for a player of Debrincat's calibre, but something is better than nothing.

Kubalik is a middle-6 winger with a reasonable cap hit, but he is a UFA after this year.  And middle-6 wingers do not have a lot value in the current market, as Canucks fans know. 

Sebrango looks like a longshot to ever be an NHL regular. He is only 21, so it is early, but his performance in the AHL was underwhelming last year and he spent half the season in the ECHL.

So, basically, it is Debrincat for the lower of the Boston and Ottawa first round picks in 2024 and a 4th round pick.   If Debrincat returns to being a 40-goal scorer this trade will look good for Detroit. But overall, I see this a pretty close to a fair value trade.

Yes we know what the middle 6 market is, but we also how hard it is to move capspace.

However, In the past few years, there was a big change how UFA were perceived.  Of course, you want all stars players locked up with term, but the others?  That flexibility of letting a middle 6 player walk is gold for cap management.  5 years ago, GMs didn’t want to touch a rental player with a 10 foot pole.  Now, they don’t want middle 6 players like Garland and Boeser who has term left.  Pretty big shift in philosophy.

IMO, the “biggest” return for the Senator is they get to use that Debrincat money in someone else, whether it’s a trade or UFA signing next summer.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

One of the most one dimensional players in the league.   Sens won this one

1 dimensional or not, he does his job well.  His job is to score goals, and he does that very well.  If that prospect and those picks don't amount to much, then the Sens acquired a 15 to 20 goal guy for a 30 to 40 goal guy.  

As small as Debrincat is he has proven to be very durable, having missed only 4 games during his six years in the NHL. All 4 of those games missed were due to having COVID during 2019-20 season. He's scrappier than you would expect for a guy his size and also has a good work ethic.

Detroit has the strangest forward Group 

trading Hronek but acquiring debrincat, signing compher and holl 

holl sucks

compher and copp aren’t good enough for the roles they will be asked to play 

Line up looking mighty mid 

30 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Detroit has the strangest forward Group 

trading Hronek but acquiring debrincat, signing compher and holl 

holl sucks

compher and copp aren’t good enough for the roles they will be asked to play 

Line up looking mighty mid 

It’s a strange group for sure.  

Some nice pieces and I get what he’s doing cornering the market on overpaid 3Cs in Compher and Copp. They’re luxury UFA pickups but the best you can do without giving up assets while Kasper and Danielson cook. 

They’re a classic team where fans look at the prospect pool with rose coloured glasses.  Pop that D prospect pool + Kasper into the line up at their ceilings and you’ll drool.  

As Canuck fans I think we know how unlikely and messy that progression can be.  If it happens, sure, maybe Stevie Y is cooking a contender but I think even he knows he’s got some work to do as it stands.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Caboose said:

Wow Pierre Dorion looking like a real idiot here.

Nope.  He got something, and didn't waste his cap space either.   Yzerman is losing some lustre.   Just as I predicted when he left TB.   It's a lot harder to look like a great GM, when you're dealing with a rebuild.   Debricant is a small guy who just maybe, maybe was padding his stats with a HHOFer.    Won't be the first time i've seen that.     The only thing that Dorion did wrong, was been fooled into thinking Debricant is a play driver in the first place.   In that regard, you're right.   

JB also cut bait with Schmidt, this is the same sort of thing, just a higher profile forward.    Would you sign Debricant for that to play for the Canucks?   Maybe you're right.     Dorion has done a better job than JB ever did.  

• Cheers 2