The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Captaincy

Rate this topic

Slegr

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Roy or no Roy, Sakic is easily one of the greatest players of all time. In my top 3 favorite players. He could just get it done in any kind of game. Unstoppable.

I also think Sakic was one of the best centers the games ever had.   Try and find players that scored 100 at 37...what he did in the dead puck era, was just top level too.    If he didn't get his hand stuck in snowblower (threw broken fingers and major hand surgery), he wouldn't have called it.   Truly too bad, had a shot at Howes record up until then (second leading scorer).  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I also think Sakic was one of the best centers the games ever had.   Try and find players that scored 100 at 37...what he did in the dead puck era, was just top level too.    If he didn't get his hand stuck in snowblower (threw broken fingers and major hand surgery), he wouldn't have called it.   Truly too bad, had a shot at Howes record up until then (second leading scorer).  

Yeah that was one of the all time just wtf kind of injuries.  He was still a point a game guy at 39 and who knows how long he could have kept it going.

• Upvote 1

Even if Petey signs long term next summer, I’m thinking he shouldn’t be captain. Too much of the “let’s wait to see if the team is good enough for me” attitude. It’s not becoming of a team captain. Seems like it’s down to Hughes or Miller now.

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

Even if Petey signs long term next summer, I’m thinking he shouldn’t be captain. Too much of the “let’s wait to see if the team is good enough for me” attitude. It’s not becoming of a team captain. Seems like it’s down to Hughes or Miller now.

None of them should be captain.

Too many independent contractors on this team 

This sounds a lot like Hughes :huh:

Captain from 1979-1982.

The smooth-skating defenceman took over from Lever beginning in the 1979-80 season. He was only 22 years old at the time, but he was named captain for a team that was beginning to climb out of the NHL’s basement.

Perhaps he was a good luck charm for the Canucks, as they made the playoffs in each of his three seasons as captain. What wasn’t good luck was that he broke his ankle right before the Canucks’ Stanley Cup run in 1982. That allowed Stan Smyl to establish himself as the leader of the Canucks for years to come.

Let’s hope for everything but the broken ankle obviously.

Can anyone name this captain?

Edited by DeNiro

I think RT prefers JT but management likely wants Hughes. Helps with re-signing later as well. He’ll become more invested in our team and definitely needs to re-sign.

JT would be the perfect Captain but I understand if they go Hughes. 

Petey should be stripped of his A. The guy has demonstrated he is not invested here and will leave if the team does not meet his expectations. That’s not leadership. 

They won’t do that because they want to try and keep him.

Edited by grandmaster
  • RoughGame 3

47 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This sounds a lot like Hughes :huh:

Captain from 1979-1982.

The smooth-skating defenceman took over from Lever beginning in the 1979-80 season. He was only 22 years old at the time, but he was named captain for a team that was beginning to climb out of the NHL’s basement.

Perhaps he was a good luck charm for the Canucks, as they made the playoffs in each of his three seasons as captain. What wasn’t good luck was that he broke his ankle right before the Canucks’ Stanley Cup run in 1982. That allowed Stan Smyl to establish himself as the leader of the Canucks for years to come.

Let’s hope for everything but the broken ankle obviously.

Can anyone name this captain?

Kevin McCarthy. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1