The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

14 hours ago, John_Guest said:

So everybody including Jim and Travis who were thinking of finding a scorer to play with Bo and Pearson were just wanting him for the playoffs the following season?

Are you sure? Because to me it would make more sense that they were hoping to keep him, at least until they were secure in the knowledge they had a better choice from within.

It was a need they wanted to fill. 

Still is unless Jake or somebody coming up shows they can fill it. 

I agree with you, They wanted to keep TT and stated they wanted a player like him before BB got injured

I also think it was inexcusable to be up against the cap, while being at the bottom 6 of the league for so many years, with a payroll of a Top 6 team

How can you improve on your Top 6 and D with so much tied up in a Bottom 6?

I believe Management and Ownership lost their patience and jumped the gun a year too early a few years ago. They could have got character cheaper  vets  on shorter contracts and received the same results as the expensive, name, longer term, vets, until they wanted to play their Drafted players

The team would have had to face the consequences of their negligent spending eventually (Why i was never excited about any of those signings), the flat cap didn't help, however, the flat cap isn't causing the issues. It's only amplifying them. The Canucks have nobody to blame but themselves though. I was not a fan of past signings but am with the recent ones (most likely no money to spend now, with the 'I got to have that' attitude, when money was available) 

We lost TT with a recent decent cap hit because of past overindulgence, hopefully those days are behind us, as it is the Top 6 and D  we need cash for

I think we will be ok, I just don't think we are as good as we could be right now

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I agree with you, They wanted to keep TT and stated they wanted a player like him before BB got injured

I also think it was inexcusable to be up against the cap, while being at the bottom 6 of the league for so many years, with a payroll of a Top 6 team

I believe Management and Ownership lost their patience and jumped the gun a year too early a few years ago. They could have got character cheaper  vets  on shorter contracts and received the same results as the expensive, name, longer term, vets, until they wanted to play their Drafted players

The team would have had to face the consequences of their negligent spending eventually (Why i was never excited about any of those signings), the flat cap didn't help, however, the flat cap isn't causing the issues. It's only amplifying them. The Canucks have nobody to blame but themselves though. I was not a fan of past signings but am with the recent ones (most likely no money to spend now, with the 'I got to have that' attitude, when money was available) 

We lost TT with a recent decent cap hit because of past overindulgence, hopefully those days are behind us, as it is the Top 6 and D  we need cash for

I think we will be ok, I just don't think we are as good as we could be right now

It appears you are looking at this with a bit of hindsight. CAP is an issue now but when Erickson was signed the Canucks were looking at a yearly increase in CAP limits. 

Even last year in pre-Covid the anticipated CAP limit was going to $84 million. Canuck management has always had the luxury of an ownership that supported their spending. TT hurts but considering the circumstances it is what it is. On the other side of the scale we have JT Miller for a 1st rounder.  

18 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

We lost TT because of Covid and a flat cap. End of story. It's also making it nearly impossible to move contracts that would normally be much easier to move. Sutter traded and a $2m rise in cap is $6m. More than enough to sign TT or comparable.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Upvote 1

At the moment, the Canucks do not have a top 6; it's more of a top 4 with Miller, Pete, Boes and Bo. Losing  TT is a big drop in talent.

Imo, Pearson would be a very good 3rd LW, but is not good enough to consider him a 2nd liner. 

This is a huge season for Jake.  If he can step up his game and be consistent, he will be a good option in the top 6.  He has a lot to prove, and I really hope he is up for it.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

At the moment, the Canucks do not have a top 6; it's more of a top 4 with Miller, Pete, Boes and Bo. Losing  TT is a big drop in talent.

Imo, Pearson would be a very good 3rd LW, but is not good enough to consider him a 2nd liner. 

This is a huge season for Jake.  If he can step up his game and be consistent, he will be a good option in the top 6.  He has a lot to prove, and I really hope he is up for it.

I do too, and I think he will be. He had better be, because Podz is going to be here sometime in 2021, challenging him for that spot.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

We lost TT because of Covid and a flat cap. End of story. It's also making it nearly impossible to move contracts that would normally be much easier to move. Sutter traded and a $2m rise in cap is $6m. More than enough to sign TT or comparable.

Lol we lost TT because we were Always at or near the top of the cap like the Top 6 teams, while being at the basement for over 1/2 decade as I stated , and left little options available End of story;)

Anyways, it is what it is now, hopefully they realize the mistakes now, and there will no longer be an over indulgence of spending on the Bottom 6 anymore

Will be glad when we get value on our cap spending in a few years hopefully

24 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Lol we lost TT because we were Always at or near the top of the cap like the Top 6 teams, while being at the basement for over 1/2 decade as I stated , and left little options available End of story;)

Anyways, it is what it is now, hopefully they realize the mistakes now, and there will no longer be an over indulgence of spending on the Bottom 6 anymore

TT is not that big of a deal. Pearson's deal is gonna expire, so chances are, we aren't gonna keep him in the long run. If we had signed TT, being that he's on the other side of 30, the fans will still complain about spending too much money and too much term.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Between mid-November and the end of January there was a 33 game span where Pearson scored 33 points.

He's also bemoaned the fact his scoring comes in bunches but that was essentially half the year at 1st line production.

I also struggle to see him as a legit top 6 piece, but he has good chemistry with Bo. Unfortunately, Jake just doesn’t.
I think Jake’s best shot at the Top 6 is leapfrogging to the Petey line and having Miller player-coaching him every second of every shift.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Not sure where Jake's going to start but I think this training camp is really going to separate the boys from the men, the same way Gaudette came in last year and just blew away a lot of the veterans. Hopefully JV can bring that intensity but let's see - it'll be interesting to see who's ready and who's not. I'm hoping we've got at least a 20-goal scorer in Jake by now and maybe Covid is the perfect thing to put all the other life distractions at bay and force him to just focus on hockey...

• Cheers 1

On 12/28/2020 at 12:04 AM, ba;;isticsports said:

You're glossing over the fact that because of the COVID cap other teams are being very cheap. In the years we signed our bottom 6, not only was the cap on an upward trajectory but it was far easier to unload veteran players like Sutter, Beagle, Rousell etc. Not to mention, if it wasn't for the Louongo recapture we could have afforded TT as well.

Edited by Deets
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Deets said:

You're glossing over the fact that because of the COVID cap other teams are being very cheap. In the years we signed our bottom 6, not only was the cap on an upward trajectory but it was far easier to unload veteran players like Sutter, Beagle, Rousell etc. Not to mention, if it wasn't for the Louongo recapture we could have afforded TT as well.

JB has made some bone head moves Roussel from the start was not the player we needed we needed someone tough i mean really tough, The Louongo recapture was not his fault , But not signing TT was he could have made room. The Virtanen experiment is just about over ( should have been traded) Podkolzin will replace him. Ferland has had concussion problems for awhile and should have never been signed. It is about cap management and JB does a bad job at that.

• Wat 2

4 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

JB has made some bone head moves Roussel from the start was not the player we needed we needed someone tough i mean really tough, The Louongo recapture was not his fault , But not signing TT was he could have made room. The Virtanen experiment is just about over ( should have been traded) Podkolzin will replace him. Ferland has had concussion problems for awhile and should have never been signed. It is about cap management and JB does a bad job at that.

Make room how? Did you miss all those reports saying that Benning was the busiest GM in the offseason? Jim was pounding the pavement and nobody was willing to take on the players we needed to get rid of.

But of course, Virtanen is the problem. :rolleyes:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On January 3, 2021 at 7:27 AM, vannuck59 said:

You have written some bone headed posts and this one is a classic, with no connection to facts I mean really none. It's about dealing with reality and you do a bad job at that.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, dougieL said:

I'm desperately hoping for a report that Virtanen is in good (perhaps even great) shape.

I would think we should hear something in regards to this today. I recall him reporting to camp at around 218 pounds last time. I’d like to see a number around 205. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

I would think we should hear something in regards to this today. I recall him reporting to camp at around 218 pounds last time. I’d like to see a number around 205. 

I don't think Jake can get down to 205 lb.  I think 210 lb. or 211 lb. would be just right for Jake.  His legs are huge.  That is where he gets his power and speed.  I think Jake will be in his best shape this year as a pro.  He spent the off season with Tyler Myers working out with him in Kelowna.  I think this bodes well for Jake.

On 1/3/2021 at 11:35 AM, Deets said:

Make room how? Did you miss all those reports saying that Benning was the busiest GM in the offseason? Jim was pounding the pavement and nobody was willing to take on the players we needed to get rid of.

But of course, Virtanen is the problem. :rolleyes:

Virtanen is the reason I need to have dental surgery to remove my wisdom teeth. I have had it up to here with his Night at the Roxbury lookin' ass. Trade em Jimmy B.

• Haha 3
  • Wat 1

21 hours ago, dougieL said:

I'm desperately hoping for a report that Virtanen is in good (perhaps even great) shape.

The report that I just heard was that Hoglander was skating on Horvat's line and not Virtanen.  We shouldn't read too much into that but that's what I just heard.  I'm pretty sure that we're going to have a good team this year no matter how things shake out.  Having more quality players than jobs is a good thing in my opinion.  Go Canucks Go!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nux_win said:

The report that I just heard was that Hoglander was skating on Horvat's line and not Virtanen.  We shouldn't read too much into that but that's what I just heard.  I'm pretty sure that we're going to have a good team this year no matter how things shake out.  Having more quality players than jobs is a good thing in my opinion.  Go Canucks Go!

Hoglander if he's on this team is only in a top 6 role. I doubt Greener has the cajones to run Hoglander and Jake in the top 6. Pearson is a safe pick for LW. Despite a Hoglander, Horvat, Boeser line sounding perfect. Miller Petey Virtanen have flashes of brilliance too. Honestly, all that matters to me is Eriksson is not in the top 6. Hoglander, Jake, whoever. Just don't have Eriksson in the top 6.

• Cheers 1