The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

16 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

A little transparency with the fans would be nice.    

As long as they don't know what is going on I don't mind some caution. Imagine the following statement two weeks ago: "Olli has developed hip soreness. The reason is unknown. Further test will follow to determine whether it is harmless or whether he will have to be shut down permanently and require surgery." CDC would have freaked out, called OJ the worst bust in league history, pooped in front of Benning's front door and sold house and home to live in Zimbabwe. Only to learn two weeks later that basically it was nothing, just precautionary.

panic omg GIFheart attack GIFexcited freak out GIF.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Considering OJ had a sore hip, why all the secrecy behind the injury?  What's the potential disaster JB was avoiding by not letting any information out?  This makes no sense at all.  If it's just a sore hip, we would have known from the start.  This is way more than just a sore hip.  Could this be some sort of hip disease?  

The team doesn't care if the fans, such as yourself, want to know more.  They neither owe you any information nor care if you want more.

Now it is a hip disease Alf?  Really?   Jeez.....you speculate like an insane person lol.

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

The team doesn't care if the fans, such as yourself, want to know more.  They neither owe you any information nor care if you want more.

Now it is a hip disease Alf?  Really?   Jeez.....you speculate like an insane person lol.

We kind of need OJ to work out, don't we?  That's why fans (crazy and fanatical ones like me) speculate.  A sore hip doesn't require a month of medical investigation.  There is definitely more here than just a sore hip.  Don't goalies often need hip surgery?  I think Demko had it done, no?  

40 minutes ago, joe-max said:

As long as they don't know what is going on I don't mind some caution. Imagine the following statement two weeks ago: "Olli has developed hip soreness. The reason is unknown. Further test will follow to determine whether it is harmless or whether he will have to be shut down permanently and require surgery." CDC would have freaked out, called OJ the worst bust in league history, pooped in front of Benning's front door and sold house and home to live in Zimbabwe. Only to learn two weeks later that basically it was nothing, just precautionary.

panic omg GIFheart attack GIFexcited freak out GIF.

So we're not freaked out already?  There is so much subterfuge here, that it's hard not to expect that OJ has some kind of hip degenerative disease.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

So would a little sanity among the fan base/media. There's a reason we can't have nice things.

fan = fanatic right?  Without the rabid fans we have in Canada, the NHL would not exist.  We are the beast, and need to be fed.  

They took every precaution & continue to do so. That's great to hear (and I think expected as this stage).

I think coming off two serious surgeries like Knee & Back, its not surprising there might be some wear & tear from getting back into the full swing of things.

Glad it seems to be (more or less) minor & he's getting going again. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

1 hour ago, Sergei Shirokov said:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/olli-juolevi-was-dealing-with-hip-soreness-canucks

Juolevi had hip soreness. Doesn't sound like it was serious. Probably poor conditioning and being forced to play a ton of minutes. 

If it’s not serious, why did he miss a month of play and have to come to Vancouver for evaluation?  Sounds pretty darned serious to me. 

Load management. They were probably playing him too much and it put stress on his body. They don't want to risk over exerting him and risking injury.

A result of poor conditioning I assume. All that time off with injury was a setback. 

The plan is probably baby steps in the hopes that he improves in the gym and on the ice over time.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

23 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Poor conditioning eh? Given the rumours about his affinity for training it’s not exactly good rumours to hear. I’d rather he be addicted to Fortnite.

Think more on the end of recovery...  major surgeries can take a long time to overcome, and definitely will effect conditioning, as it’s tough to go 150% on training when you’re rehabbing. 

still think Juolevi will be a solid 2nd pairing D, along the lines of a Matt Niskanen.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I understand why they proceeded with caution, but still, it seems really weird that they were so secretive about the whole thing. 

Why do they need to be so public about it? So people can jump to more conclusions being online doctors and suggesting his career is done and all that? He had soreness in his hip and they wanted to make sure it's not stemmed from something else. He's been through a lot the last couple of years and want to make sure he's diagnosed and treated properly to hopefully get him a long career to benefit him and the team. All the public needs to know or should care about is that he recovers from whatever is ailing him so he can continue his development and progress.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2