The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Alex Burrows to Senators for Jonathan Dahlen

Just now, cripplereh said:

awesome hockey deal a vet for them for a playoff run and a young gun for us who seems to be close to NHL ready so next year we shall see him in a Canuck jersey

two thumbs up for Benning again!!!

Both teams got what then want/need.  I hope Burr can be a catalyst for Ottawa and help them go deep.

Looking forward to seeing what Dahlen can do. Probably a year or two away from a legitimate chance on the Nucks just based on size but one more promising piece to address our forward issues. 

3 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

The kids got 21 goals and 15 assists so far this year.

36 points in 56 games playing Tier2 Sweden.

Only 19 but playing against men, that is pretty solid 

4 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

It's the 2nd league.

it doesn't make it any less impressive that a 19 year old is one of the best players in a men's league. I'm quite astonished at the return. I was hoping for a 3rd tops. I love Dahlen

Some additional comments.

1. I of course like this trade. This season is toast and Dahlen is a good prospect.

2. Still it is bittersweet (kind of the like the end of La-La Land). I am sorry to see Burrows go. It was the right move but he was the heart of the Canucks for a decade. To some extent, this is like the official end of an era, even more than than firing Gillis was or losing the Sedins will be. But at least Alex will be in the playoffs this year.

3. I said before that Dahlen is the equivalent of a second round pick (which he was). Just to temper the enthusiasm a bit, he is not the equivalent of a first rounder because with guys like him there is a always a big question mark or whether his game can transition to the NHL. Yes, maybe he is Filip Forsberg. But maybe he is Linden Vey (who we gave up a second round pick to get.) And we can think of small high-skill first rounders whose game did not transition, like Jordan Schroeder and Hunter Shinkaruk.

This is not a crazy trade for Ottawa, although I would have expected the Canucks to retain some salary.

What we need is two (or three?) more trades or prospects from deadline deals. Then we can be confident that at least one or two will pan out. With picks and prospects it is largely a numbers game and we need more numbers -- more solid prospects in the pipeline.

1 minute ago, Violator said:

15 years hes been in the organization 822 games guy was a &^@#en warrior for us helped get us to the cup sucks to see him go but that the way life is they come they go.

Once a Canuck always a Canuck.

The guy is gonna retire a Canucks. Either signing an one day tryout contract in two or more years and retire to have Ottawa or whomever having his right trade him to Van for future consideration and retire. Quote me on it.

1 minute ago, Nucks780 said:

Yeah but you're saying this is worst then the forsberg trade. 

How is it not? Erat had a year left on his contract and just came off a 58 point season already had 21 points in 36 games with nashville and then when he got traded he just didn't show up. He gave up. Burrows hasn't had a good season in the last 5 years and he is a UFA. Even with a year left on his contract this would still be an awful trade.

I'm glad Burrows got to have one last Superskills competition in front of the fans before leaving. I know some people here think it's a stupid event. But it means a lot to the players. I'm glad Burrows got to have fun in front of Canucks fans one last time. 

2 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Malloy is on 1040 right now talking about Dahlen

- Saying hes a shooter more than a passer

- Should round up to 200lbs

- Shoots exceptionally well, finds open ice, opportunistic

- Canucks got very good value

- Someone at hockey prospect.com had him at 24th overall

- very good at getting into open areas

- knows scouts that are very high on him.

This is why Ottawa fans are pissed.

The kid is going to mature physically over the next year. He's just under 6' and 180 lbs. (by comparison Burrows was 6'1 195lbs)

He's only 19 but already leading his team in scoring in a Mens league (tier 2 Sweden) with 41 points in 43 games.

He turns 20, 11 days before his eligibility expires to join the AHL next year so he's a plug n play kid for the farm this year which is a MASSIVE plus as it speeds up the rebuild. 

3 minutes ago, Violator said:

15 years hes been in the organization 822 games guy was a &^@#en warrior for us helped get us to the cup sucks to see him go but that the way life is they come they go.

Once a Canuck always a Canuck.

Could always re-sign him if he goes unrestricted.

Archived