The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Leipsic | #9 | LW/C

PuckYa

Leips had impressed me with his play thus far but that interview has made me a fan. Loved the honesty about beginning to work harder and seeing it pay off. Kid's gotta chip on his shoulder and ambition to prove his doubters wrong. In my opinon he's got fringe top6 talent waiting to be tapped into tbh. Definitely been fun to watch so far.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Webster6 said:

Leips had impressed me with his play thus far but that interview has made me a fan. Loved the honesty about beginning to work harder and seeing it pay off. Kid's gotta chip on his shoulder and ambition to prove his doubters wrong. In my opinon he's got fringe top6 talent waiting to be tapped into tbh. Definitely been fun to watch so far.

He is fun to watch. Pretty solid positionally for offense and can turn back up ice very quickly. The only negative I see is that he loses position defensively fairly regularly. Still looking for the fiestiness factor. Does not seem overly excited during scrums. Really like his vision as he regularly sets up his line mates. 

I think with BL there's always going to be a bit of 'take the good with the bad'. The way he plays, on the edge, constantly pushing etc is occasionally going to go past the line of that 'edge'. As long as the good outweighs the bad, he's got a spot on this team IMO. 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I think with BL there's always going to be a bit of 'take the good with the bad'. The way he plays, on the edge, constantly pushing etc is occasionally going to go past the line of that 'edge'. As long as the good outweighs the bad, he's got a spot on this team IMO. 

I thought he's been very good since he's been on the Canucks. 

He does play with an edge, so I agree with you that you got to take the good with the bad. But he will also need to tame his game a little as well (discipline it), so he's not almost always in the sin bin, cause that can really cripple the team, and puts a wear and tear on the PK units. 

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I thought he's been very good since he's been on the Canucks. 

He does play with an edge, so I agree with you that you got to take the good with the bad. But he will also need to tame his game a little as well (discipline it), so he's not almost always in the sin bin, cause that can really cripple the team, and puts a wear and tear on the PK units. 

I agree. I'm a bit concerned that he will be too wild and cost us a lot of PK time. So long as he can control his game (as Burrows eventually learned), I'm fine with his aggressive style.

I'm really impressed with his hands and skill level. Rarely bobbles a pass. carries the puck really well at high speed, good puck distributor and sees the ice really well. And pretty quick. I'd argue he's been our best player from the blue line out since getting here. Pretty stoked!

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, lmm said:

well that was fun while it lasted

Line (and team) misses an elite shooter. Can't really lay that at Leip's (or Horvat's) feet.

Only so much even good players can do playing with a MASH unit and bunch of kids playing over their heads and limping towards the finish line. These last couple weeks won't be pretty.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

Pittsburgh, TB for that matter, have several guys just like Leipsic!

I realize what turns the crank is not those guys?  But the point is players like Brendan surrounded by others like Petterson, Bo, Boeser who stir the drink > can become both valuable & productive players in the right environment!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Pittsburgh, TB for that matter, have several guys just like Leipsic!

I realize what turns the crank is not those guys?  But the point is players like Brendan surrounded by others like Petterson, Bo, Boeser who stir the drink > can become both valuable & productive players in the right environment!

Leipsic has been better than I expected. If he was 4 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier he would be a great addition to the team. (But, in that case, he would not have been available in the first place.)

As a natural LW, he will up against a lot of others guys next, even if the Sedins retire. Baertschi and Eriksson will be on the team, and Goldobin, Granlund and Gaunce will be fighting for spots on the left side. Archie can also play the left side (and shoots left). Also, it would not be a surprise to see Pettersson get a look at LW. (He is a left hand shot but has played mostly RW this year.) And Dahlen will be in the mix. The right side is not as crowded but it is still very competitive.

Lets hope a couple of those guys competing for LW spots emerge as legitimate top 6 "core" forwards (who "turn the crank" as Surfer says), in addition to Pettersson, who looks very likely to be an elite player. There is not really much advantage in piling up bottom 6 wingers and tweeners unless the core guys are there. .

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...