The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

8 hours ago, Darkstar said:

Madden is such a warrior. I selfishly wish that he would turn pro next year, because I honestly think he can make the team in 2019. It's better for his development to stay in the NCAA for another year though.

No way, he has so much maturing to do physically. I know people will point to Petey and say look at what he's done but Petey has skill from another planet and Madden is even less phyically developed than Petey.  I mean he's 150lbs and plays and in your face kind of game, he's no Gaudreau out there

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

No way, he has so much maturing to do physically. I know people will point to Petey and say look at what he's done but Petey has skill from another planet and Madden is even less phyically developed than Petey.  I mean he's 150lbs and plays and in your face kind of game, he's no Gaudreau out there

I think he'll play the 4 years in Northeastern. When he was drafted Brackett said one of the reasons was that he would be growing in that program while he bulks up. Also NCAA players have more time in the gym.

30 minutes ago, westcoastsniper said:

I think he'll play the 4 years in Northeastern. When he was drafted Brackett said one of the reasons was that he would be growing in that program while he bulks up. Also NCAA players have more time in the gym.

He won't play 4 years at Northeastern unless the Canucks have given up on him and don't offer him a contract by his Junior year. If he goes 4 years by his choice then it will be because he wants to become a free agent after his senior season and sign elsewhere.

10 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I know that. I never said he should turn pro. Madden needs 2 years in the NCAA for his development. He won't do 4 there unless if he wants to sign elsewhere.

I was able to watch Madden and team USA play Sweden yesterday. Sorry for the late post, I got busy with family stuff.

Sweden was running the game for 50 minutes. Their forwards were outworking the American defense and Sweden's defense (both their defensemen and overall team defense) was smothering the Americans. There weren't any American forwards who did much except maybe Farabee. Anytime any forward had possession in the offensive zone they would try to do too much and get swarmed. That was how it felt for most of the game. 

Madden wasn't overly noticeable, but he always seemed to be around the puck and making smart plays. It seemed like Sweden always had a stick in the way for whatever play he tried, but that was the whole team. He seemed to be one of the harder working forwards along with Farabee, but his skating style makes it look like he's always casual out there. He made a couple of nice toe drags in tight to find space and is pretty agile when he has a second to collect himself. I talked about this play in more detail in the Hughes thread, but he completely beat his man with a toe drag to the inside and almost scored far side in the 3rd period. He also made the diving defensive play in overtime to disrupt a 2 on 1. 

One thing I noticed was that while he was usually pretty good about engaging in board battles, he was usually the first to disengage as well. Whenever possible he would back out and end sometimes end up losing body position. From there, he'd revert to trying to fish the puck out with his stick while someone else engaged physically. He doesn't measure in as a very big guy, but he's always upright which makes him look bigger than he is. He got hit pretty hard a couple times as well, including the penalty he drew in the 3rd that led to a goal.

Overall, I was content with Madden's game. He didn't look out of place, which is a great sign as a 3rd rounder. He's a pretty smart player with skill, but it's fairly obvious that another 2-3 years of building muscle will be best for him. That could add an brand new element to his game, which is already pretty complete and fundamentally sound. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

What a tournament for Madden so far! Kid looks great

What a 3rd round pick. JB and staff continue to impress. I had initially read this article about Weisbrod which made me nervous about the leadership of this team. Written by JD Burke on Canucks Army

https://canucksarmy.com/2016/03/28/why-canucks-fans-are-concerned-about-john-weisbrod-s-influence/

The focal point of the concern was Weisbrod's influence on the Jankowski pick in Calgary. Many years later, looking at the list of players taken after the 21st pick, it looks like Weisbrod did a pretty good job. If that's his biggest blemish, we're in pretty good shape. 

JB, Brackett, Weisbrod, Gradin, Delorme are doing a hell of a job. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Treenanay said:

Tyler Maddens works hard for his first of the game!

Tyler Maddens 2nd of the game!
Gets named player of the game as well! Great game by Madden. Great defensive and offensive ability, and his skating and stick handling is just as good. He is definitely looking like the real deal.

You could say drafting Madden was a WISE choice.

• Haha 2

I watched Madden play against Finland. Sorry for the late post again. 

Madden looked a lot more involved in this one when compared to their game against the Swedes, as did every American forward. Their team had a lot more time and space and were able to play their game. Madden was around the puck again and the difference between Sweden's defense and Finland's meant he won more races to loose pucks. They were able to create a lot of turnovers by pressuring the defense and wingers in the offensive zone and maintain possession in the zone, as evidenced by Madden's first goal. He again tried to split the defense with a toe drag off the rush, but ended up getting a lot closer to getting a chance than he did previously. I noticed that he played one or two shifts as a center, but didn't finish there. 

Overall, Madden and the American forwards played a much better game than against Sweden. However, I can't stress enough how much better Sweden's defensemen and defensive system were than Finland's in this game. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, tas said:

will canucks fans build madden up with expectations of epic proportions, only to shred him mercilessly when he fails to meet them?

stay tuned for cole cassels 2.0.

Cassels couldn’t skate like, or have the elite puck skills and vision of Madden.  Big difference.  

• Upvote 2