The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Artyom Manukyan | RW

thejazz97

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

In retrospect, for sure.  It wasn't at the time when you consider that Barry Petterson was a high scoring Center and Glen Wesley (3rd overall pick in '87) turned out to be a very good dman.  On paper, it looked like a really good trade.

BPs health was questionable, but he had put up good #s the season after his surgery.  Trading Wesley for crap was really bad. In the end, it was really bad luck with BPs health and an uniformed decision not to keep Wesley.

You seem to be saying that we received Wesley ?

Just for the record, we didn't specifically trade Neely. The final result, was that Boston chose Neely. The deal was lined up to RFA signing penalties of the day. The rules were that Canucks would have to give BB a 1st round pick plus a player ( chosen by Boston ) off our roster. Certain rookies were exempt, plus the Canucks could protect 4 players. We had players like Gradin, Smyl, Sundstrom, Tanti, Skriko, Lidster, Lanz, Daigneault etc.. Don't know who we protected, but things didn't work out very well for us. ( no-one expected the draft pick to be that high either ! )

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

In retrospect, for sure.

I thought it was an OK trade at the time too but Barry Peterson was never quite the same after his surgery and it didn't seem like we gave Glen Wesely a fair chance to adjust. I may be wrong on the Wesely part as that was ages ago and my memory is not as good as it used to be.

4 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I thought it was an OK trade at the time too but Barry Peterson was never quite the same after his surgery and it didn't seem like we gave Glen Wesely a fair chance to adjust. I may be wrong on the Wesely part as that was ages ago and my memory is not as good as it used to be.

Wesley was drafted by Boston, with a pick that went to them along with Neely.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Hate to derail this thread with some Artyom Manukyan talk but the KHL season starts tomorrow .  It will be interesting to see how he fares .

It will be interesting to follow his season. My first question is, what's his current weight ? Does the KHL post heights/ weights ? I'm told that size doesn't matter, but, 139 lbs seems just a tad fragile.

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

To much Kokanee Gold will do that. :lol:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Atom man isn't afraid to provide the "big body" net front presence or scramble for the puck in the crease...who know's...maybe he can turn into a player...

I really like him, Zhukenov (sp) and Lockwood for our small fiesty prospects. I feel like they all have a chance

• Upvote 1

On 2018-06-23 at 2:44 PM, hatedkid666 said:

I get that we cant complain about the other small guys we have drafter but c'mon, 139 pounds???? 

Which touches the ground first?

Manukyan or a feather?

Edited by Me_

On 2018-08-20 at 11:20 AM, SingleThorn said:

You seem to be saying that we received Wesley ?

Just for the record, we didn't specifically trade Neely. The final result, was that Boston chose Neely. The deal was lined up to RFA signing penalties of the day. The rules were that Canucks would have to give BB a 1st round pick plus a player ( chosen by Boston ) off our roster. Certain rookies were exempt, plus the Canucks could protect 4 players. We had players like Gradin, Smyl, Sundstrom, Tanti, Skriko, Lidster, Lanz, Daigneault etc.. Don't know who we protected, but things didn't work out very well for us. ( no-one expected the draft pick to be that high either ! )

There is another factor that should have kept us away from Peterson anyway - he had a tumour on his arm the size of a fist, if I remember correctly.

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

There is another factor that should have kept us away from Peterson anyway - he had a tumour on his arm the size of a fist, if I remember correctly.

That was one of his two surgeries the season before.