The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

wow.... thats new info. Well, maybe something is up. My guess is both Jim and Louis agent found no trade market at all for Loui. Maybe mutual termination is a thing and Loui can be set free to sign wherever he wants. 

Good point Jimmy.  Loui could sign with another team (say 2.5-3m) and really not be out of pocket (and much happier to boot).  Maybe he signs with Dallas?

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Nice work JB! Had just noticed that he's now listed on our team at CapFriendly.com

We are looking good for next season. Just need to move Eriksson and we're in great shape. Maybe someone can pull a Tonya Harding on his knee and he can just sit on LTIR for the next 3 years???? :P

Just heard today that LE bonus is paid July 15th, not July 1st so maybe they have something in the pipe for July 16th

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I've been critical of JB, especially how he has handled the cap but you can't ask for a better deal than this.  Players still got to perform but JB is swinging for the fences in his final year.

I think Benning is quietly pragmatic, and silently premeditated,  I would t say that he is swinging for fences, because these recent acquisitions come at fair cost and ample term..   I think he has loaded a gun, pointing at targets, and pulling the trigger.

Some of those targets now will be at underperforming players.

• Upvote 2

This is exactly why I said I would reserve judgement on the Miller trade till I see the finished product. I have a feeling Jimbo knows Tryamkin is coming back, possibly as soon as this spring. We are a very different looking team next year. Add Tryamkin and wow, slow clap JB. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Chemistry?  I am sorry man.  To be perfectly honest.  They have zero chemistry.  Boeser is great and Petey is out of this world, but they have zero chemistry.  Goldobin and Petterson had chemistry.  Goldobin is not a good player though unfortunately.

I disagree.  

• Upvote 4

Just now, captainhorvat said:

Rousell and Ferland.... aint nobody gonna f#@k wit us! Well done Jimbo!

Benning's two best free-agent signings by far. Hopefully this one works out like the Roussel one did.

Kept the money down without giving up too much term, at 27 years old, 4 years pretty much gives us the remainder of his prime.

Great contract especially considering people were expecting something stupid like 5x5 on July 1.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

If Eriksson is being traded you know that a good prospect is going with him. There is no way Eriksson goes anywhere unless the team is getting a prospect they want. I just hope that prospect isn't Jett Woo.

It would suck, but I’d send Lind.. can’t see Jim sending Woo..?

11 minutes ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

Not sure why people think Boeser will be traded. He ain’t gonna leave his bff Petey. Had a feeling there’s barely been any news on Ferland because he’s been waiting to come here. Hoping 4x4

Yeah Boeser's going nowhere.  He is one quality stand-up kid who's been nothing but a straight-shooter (literally) and upright both on and off the ice.

9 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Every body needs to chill about cap space Jim will figure it out. 

mark wahlberg relax GIF

Still two months until training camp, three months until the season.  Sure they want to get things done now to have it settled well before camp, but don't think we're done yet.  Timing sure indicates something happening to lose cap once Loui's paid.  Hopefully a JB presser shortly to get a bit more insight.

• Cheers 4

Wow. Did not expect this signing at all. 

But I am pleasantly surprised that we got Ferlund! 3.5 mil for four years? That's a pretty good deal, I'd think. Don't know how Ferlund couldn't have gotten a better deal elsewhere, for longer term, and perhaps more money. This is great news. The concern like other posters have suggested is what about Boeser's signing, and who are they going to move out that's going to clear some cap space - Sutter, Eriksson? Those are the only two players that we have that are just so heavy with their salary. 

I'm excited about the move obviously. But wondering how they're going to get under the cap with this signing, and Boeser not even signed yet. Are we either going to waive those veterans, and bury them in the minors, or there's a trade in the works for those veteran players, but we'd have to sweeten those deals by giving up either prospects or even more draft picks. 

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

If Eriksson is being traded you know that a good prospect is going with him. There is no way Eriksson goes anywhere unless the team is getting a prospect they want. I just hope that prospect isn't Jett Woo.

Or more draft picks. You can bet there will be some compensation.

Maybe they have a deal pending for Tanev or Sutter.

Maybe Boeser has decided to sign a two year deal for 3 mil.      LOL