The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Article - Canucks’ Pearson on pace for career year thanks to remarkable turnaround

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

Pearson  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Baer was a solid second line player for us. Nobody complained when he signed that contract, and last year while healthy he was scoring at close to a 30 goal pace. The fan base was shocked when he got cut - even today JD Burke listed about 5 or 6 forwards on the roster who are not as good as Baertschi.

He has had a good attitude as well, going down to the AHL and tearing it up with 31 points in 23 games. I am surprised nobody picked him up, but it could also be because of the red flags around his health, lack of cap space around the league, and the extra year on his contract. 

Yep.   That and one out of five 2nd rounders play as many games as Bear has already.   He beat the odds with that trade, and it's well documented why he made both that one and the Vey one, we had a complete lack of tweeners in our pool/on the team at that point.   Sure his cap hit would be better on another roster and when he was called up didn't get traction - but he's still got a proper NHL pedigree.  Injuries and cap hit definitely play into the equation.  On the bright side the second half and the playoffs are a war of attrition.  When injuries on our roster come up then we have two guys playing in our top six last year waiting in the AHL to draw from. Same thing with LE who's currently making things easier for us with Leivo out.   And Myers when Edler was out took on his role and kept the crack in the damn from exploding.   Depth ... is something we finally have again. 

• Upvote 2

I am glad Benning saw the value in Pearson. 

To be honest, when the trade first happened I figured we were losing a horrible defenceman for a once-good-but-lost-it physical, 3rd line forward at best. Which really would have been a win regardless.

But for Pearson to now be on pace for a career year is simply outstanding. It is becoming increasingly difficult for Benning nay-sayers to have any kind of leg to stand on.

He and Bo have some great chemistry.

I hope Benning can sign him for another few seasons, for the right money.

I feel that a super digging high skill winger like Podkolzin, or Hoglander will be with them in the future, and holy smokes, two legit front lines.

Until then, expect to see musical winger on that 6th top wing slot.

The Audition Line.

Edited by xereau
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Rabbit said:

Benning won the JT Miller trade, but compared with Pearson trade, BN won much.

The cost of Miller includes a first round pick which is huge cost because of the draft history of BN.

The cost of Pearson is Gudbranson whom I see there is BN's previous trade loss. Now BN turns his trade loss to a win.

It is concluded that BN has improved his trading performance.

What/Who is BN

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/4/2020 at 1:42 AM, ruilin96 said:

Gudbranson for Pearson is the biggest steal of a trade JB has made in his tenure as a Canucks GM.

I love Pearson (always liked him even when he was with the Kings) but let's not pretend most of us wish we still didn't have McCann 

16 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I love Pearson (always liked him even when he was with the Kings) but let's not pretend most of us wish we still didn't have McCann 

which version? the poor attitude kid we had, or the one two trades later that grew up? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

The latter but hey kids eventually grow up 

Would we still have gotten Pete if McCann was still projected to take a top-6 center slot?

Also I'm sure the Bruins wish they kept Seguin instead of flipping him as they did but at the time those trades made sense (cohesion > individual ego).

Hoping J.B. can find another similar reputation trade for Sutter and Sven.

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

I'd say we recouped a good 70-80% of our value for that initial Gudbranson trade in eventually landing Pearson. It's still a slight net loss imo, but I give kudos to Benning for landing anything for that human pylon, let alone a top 6 forward with a decent contract. 

On 1/3/2020 at 9:34 PM, theo5789 said:

Don't forget the Diaz trade to NYR for their 5th which we used to draft Gaudette. The Hansen and Burrows trades looked like huge wins at the time of the deals and at worst we moved two potential expansion pieces for assets that could be protected (and we got Burrows an extension which ended up as a nice little retirement gift). We also got picks for Eddie Lack who became a dud real quick after the trade (which would be equivalent to some of our "worst" trades).

I believe while we did trade away picks, we also acquired picks and in the end we drafted a full allotment of picks over Benning's tenure. We may have given up some high picks, but Benning has more than made up for them with his draft record in the later rounds to make up for it. Cashing in on later picks is just as good IMO considering the odds of the picks anyway.

McCann might be only real NHL player that could've helped us and I have my doubts on him really wanting to be here. Kassian was never going to be a player for us. All the other "worst" trades had very little effect on us in the end.

The Diaz trade was one of Gillis' last trades.

• Thanks 1

I can admit it...I thought picking up Gudbranson was a good idea. Big tough D man...what’s not to like?  Ok, didn’t know he was going to play that bad. Pearson, I thought was a good trade...underperforming d man for an underperforming forward. This turnout has almost saved the first trade.  

On 1/3/2020 at 10:11 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Who is Gustav Forsling? What team does he play for?

Not fair! He’s having a solid season with 4 goals & 14 points in 38 games, with the Charlotte Checkers ( had to look this up as I had no idea if he was even playing anywhere) :)

4 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Not fair! He’s having a solid season with 4 goals & 14 points in 38 games, with the Charlotte Checkers ( had to look this up as I had no idea if he was even playing anywhere) :)

LOL...no doubt, I had lost track of him too, but that is kind of the point......pretty young and already been traded 2 times. 

Edited by janisahockeynut

On 1/3/2020 at 7:01 PM, Rabbit said:

Benning won the JT Miller trade, but compared with Pearson trade, BN won much.

The cost of Miller includes a first round pick which is huge cost because of the draft history of BN.

The cost of Pearson is Gudbranson whom I see there is BN's previous trade loss. Now BN turns his trade loss to a win.

It is concluded that BN has improved his trading performance.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable