The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes closer to the Calder, Currently sits Number 1 in points

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

17 minutes ago, Sawdust said:

I hope he wins it. He’s amazing to watch and what he does is not easy the way he skates and evades checks and makes passes. I can see him being a top D man in the NHL for a long time.  He’s going to have to edge out makar in points and if he does that he should win it.

I wonder what his bonus is for winning the Calder?

6 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

1st in points by rookie as of today

8th in the league scoring for Defenceman, 7th in assists for defenceman with 30 and tied for 26 in league assists

What was holding Hughes back was he was not scoring goals he has increased that stat in the last little while and now sits 16th in goals by league defensemen at 8

8g 30a 38pts

Way to hit it over the fence JB... It's still going, just like JT Miller...  Another one, this is getting to be a habit, way to shut up the haters!

Stated elsewhere.

Makar: Incredible defenseman.  Edge in goals, 1 point back with like 9 less games played.  Without him last year; Colorado was still in the playoffs.  Plays behind MacKinnon and a stud forward core of vets.  One-ish year older than Hughes

While he's incredible.  Does he have the same impact on his team's season as Hughes?

Hughes, 9 or so more games played.  One year younger.  But single handedly has revitalizes the Canucks entire d-core.  Power play.  Penalty kill.  He's an enormous part of the reason this team's gone from drafting top ten for 3 consecutive years to leading their division.

I think unless he gets injured; Makar wins it.  He's just so damned good.  But if the points are close or comparable and they look at overall body of work, or importance to team success.  Hughes stands an outside chance of winning.

His importance to the season the Canucks are having cannot be discounted

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, joe-max said:

Can already see the headlines when he wins it, becoming the second Canucks winner in a row:

CDC: "Praise the Lord. the dynasty is here. We will never lose a game again."

HF Boards: "Boeser came only second. Benning sucks."

NHL.com: "Maple Leafs rookie Sandin snubbed. Ends up 17th in Calder race."

you couldn't have predicted that any better! :lol:

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Stated elsewhere.

Makar: Incredible defenseman.  Edge in goals, 1 point back with like 9 less games played.  Without him last year; Colorado was still in the playoffs.  Plays behind MacKinnon and a stud forward core of vets.  One-ish year older than Hughes

While he's incredible.  Does he have the same impact on his team's season as Hughes?

Hughes, 9 or so more games played.  One year younger.  But single handedly has revitalizes the Canucks entire d-core.  Power play.  Penalty kill.  He's an enormous part of the reason this team's gone from drafting top ten for 3 consecutive years to leading their division.

I think unless he gets injured; Makar wins it.  He's just so damned good.  But if the points are close or comparable and they look at overall body of work, or importance to team success.  Hughes stands an outside chance of winning.

I'd bet that, at this moment, you wouldn't find a single hockey writer/analyst who wouldnt say it was Makar's to lose.  However, I'd bet they'd all say Hughes has closed the gap as they head into the stretch.  

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Stated elsewhere.

Screw the Calder, your last sentence is right and the most important part, he's a shoe in to become the powerplay QB and quick minded smooth PMD we desperately needed and got.. 

• Like 1

In their last 10 games played Hughes has 14 points and Makar has 8.  So Hughes is trending higher than Makar and it’s most likely he will get more points in the balance of the games left than Makar.  However Colorado has 2 games in hand so that should help Makar close the gap a bit.

I would say based on the last 10 games and how well the Canucks are playing that Hughes will outsource Makar by season’s end.  Not sure he will get more goals, but I don’t think that will be the final determination on who wins.  Hughes could beat Makar by several points, maybe 5-7 points, so that should be enough to take it.  But it will be close.  Barring injury to either player it could be as close as one or two votes of a difference.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson