The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I like the idea of not talking Edler anymore,.  And I’m sick and tired of people wanting to hang on to drying up Canucks as Ceremonial Figure Heads just in case we win a cup with them and it feels like a Cinderella Moment.

Lets get on with establishing this new D core, we are 2 pieces away from that.

Tryamkin is one of those,..

and if we get lucky in the Draft Lottery,.  Owen Powers, and the next 2 D men available will be better than Joulevi, and they will stack up nicely in the next wave from the farm.

Zadorov signed,   for Jake and Joulevi would bag it like a Chik Fil a sandwich.

Boom.

I was discussing this elsewhere...I could see some logic after the ED, in re-upping Edler and Hamonic for not much more cap than Myers, and then moving out Myers for a decent trade return. Then allocate that cap space elsewhere (3C?).

Bring back Tryamkin and you're looking at:

Hughes, Hamonic

Edler, Schmidt

Juolevi, Tryamkin

Solid guy and a puck mover on each pair.

Rathbone, Bowey/Chatfield as spares, with Woo waiting in the AHL as injury call up (and yes, a Powers, Clarke etc coming up in a couple years).

Wouldn't even preclude your proposed Zadorov trade.

But yes, otherwise, it's getting harder to see where Edler fits next year if we bring back Hamonic (as I hope/feel should).

Alternately we'd be looking at:

Hughes, Hamonic

Schmidt, Myers

Juolevi, Tryamkin

... minus the trade return from Myers and no likely 3C upgrade with the cap space as in the first scenario... I'm not remotely sure which avenue would be better :lol:

At least it won't be a boring summer! :towel:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I was discussing this elsewhere...I could see some logic after the ED, in re-upping Edler and Hamonic for not much more cap than Myers, and then moving out Myers for a decent trade return. Then allocate that cap space elsewhere (3C?).

Bring back Tryamkin and you're looking at:

Hughes, Hamonic

Edler, Schmidt

Juolevi, Tryamkin

Solid guy and a puck mover on each pair.

Rathbone, Bowey/Chatfield as spares, with Woo waiting in the AHL as injury call up (and yes, a Powers, Clarke etc coming up in a couple years).

Wouldn't even preclude your proposed Zadorov trade.

But yes, otherwise, it's getting harder to see where Edler fits next year if we bring back Hamonic (as I hope/feel should).

Alternately we'd be looking at:

Hughes, Hamonic

Schmidt, Myers

Juolevi, Tryamkin

... minus the trade return from Myers and no likely 3C upgrade with the cap space as in the first scenario... I'm not remotely sure which avenue would be better :lol:

At least it won't be a boring summer! :towel:

No it won’t!  it’s actually exciting! and to think we might get hockey back on the table once everyone is vaccinated,  a Sept/Oct start would be fantastic.

we have room to get better,  it’s easy to see , and we will.

I have a feeling that 3rd C position might get shared with whoever is 4th C,

I wonder if it’s a position that Podz had experienced playing before. (Thought he did in the WJ’s?)

MacEwan was a centre in Junior.. and did very well with it,  those bigger men don’t like to stop and start so much,. Center position keeps their edges warm and gait long.

I think Myers is starting to look really good again, and if he can have 2 more mates ready to shoulder down on opposing forwards, I think his game rises again.. his puck prowess excels.

but just thinking of Zadorov is exciting too..

and the possibility of 3 fluid skating D men over 6’5” ..  the whole team grows 2 inches and 15 pounds heavier.

ps.  Perhaos we can look at Edlers present money distributed into Hamonics upgrade, Tryamkins contracts and possibly Zadorov’s as well.?

Hamonic is presently 1.25 

add 1.25  for 2.5m per.

that leaves 4.75 to distribute between Tryamkin and Zadorov.

we need to find a bridge for Quinn.

Jakes 2.25 + Joulevi’s .975 + an expiring forward. 
(will Loui retire I wonder)

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

I like the idea of not talking Edler anymore,.  And I’m sick and tired of people wanting to hang on to drying up Canucks as Ceremonial Figure Heads just in case we win a cup with them and it feels like a Cinderella Moment.

100%... Time to move on... If he really wants to sign for 1M full NTC then sure but not paying money when we can start getting Olli or Rathbone more time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

We need a show me deal so adding years may not be smart. Right now w don't know really how good he is

At the same time, if we make the playoffs with him next year i think we could be looking at a much higher deal. Tryam at 2.5 for 2 years after next will still get a lot of teams interested in his potential. It will not be hard at all to trade him if necessary 

6 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

We need a show me deal so adding years may not be smart. Right now w don't know really how good he is

37 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

At the same time, if we make the playoffs with him next year i think we could be looking at a much higher deal. Tryam at 2.5 for 2 years after next will still get a lot of teams interested in his potential. It will not be hard at all to trade him if necessary 

As some one who has watched him a fair amount over the past 4 years, I can say this:

This organization has seen nothing like him since the days of Harold Snepts,  

But this young man will

prove to be far better,.  And is everything this Team needs to help solidify a D core that takes us deep into the playoffs in the future.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

As some one who has watched him a fair amount over the past 4 years, I can say this:

But this young man will

prove to be far better,.  And is everything this Team needs to help solidify a D core that takes us deep into the playoffs in the future.

This for sure, i would much rather take a chance on a longer deal then risk a 4 million dollar deal next year. He very well may always be a bottom 4 defenceman but he will anchor that bottom 4 for years.

As ive said before in this thread, teams make the playoffs because of their top end talent, but they win a cup by having a deep bottom end that can bring intangibles like tryamkin can. 

Imagine someone like marchand or Tkachuk beating on hughes and petey in the playoffs, tryamkin will be able to police them better than almost anyone in the league and that is extremely important past the 2nd round as we should all remember.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

But this young man will

ckvu sports page promo Don Taylor hair - YouTube"Reminiscent of a young Bob Dailey......."

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

I'd rather go 1.5 per

10 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

I'd rather go 1.5 per

Not going to cut it based on his salary in the KHL and the offer that was on the table previously. 1.5 is just wishful. It’s likely to be in the 2-3 range with the term dictating which side of that 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Not going to cut it based on his salary in the KHL and the offer that was on the table previously. 1.5 is just wishful. It’s likely to be in the 2-3 range with the term dictating which side of that 

I really think that if we get him at 3X2.5 we will be wishing it was longer by the end

• Cheers 2

18 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Just a little info I dug up on Tryamkin's last 4 years in the KHL

20-21   Playoffs         +4           21:00 TOI            5 games           2 PTs

20-21   Regular          -3           20:50 TOI           60 games         15 PTs

19-20   Playoffs         +1           22:40 TOI             5 games          2 PTs

19-20   Regular         +10         19:50 TOI           58 games        12 PTs

18-19    Playoffs         -1           21:30 TOI             9 games           2 PTs

18-19    Regular        +12         20:30 TOI           41 games          11 PTs

17-18    Playoffs           0          21:50 TOI             6 games            0 PTs

17-18    Regular        +12         21:10 TOI           51 games          25 PTs

So, what I can see about these stats is first of all................

#1. Tryamkin plays alot of minutes.............looks to be 1st pairing minutes in all KHL season's since his return

#2. Tryamkin's minutes go up in every year in the playoffs, even in his last year, where the coach knew he was leaving at the end of the season

#3. Tryamkin is a plus player in the playoffs, so IMO, he ups his game

#4  Tryamkin had a weak team in the playoffs

#5  Tryamkin's coach plays Nikita more in the Playoffs as the competition improves

It appears to me, that Tryamkin does pretty well in his +/- considering his team is a very average team, and even in the playoffs, he handles his increased ice time well, and tends to improve his stats with that responsibility.

Note* I will now make an assumption based on Nikita's point production in the regular season and the playoffs, but with that little of points, Nikita is being used to shut down the opponents #1 line, and in doing so, has still remained a positive player, in terms of +/-

To underline what the numbers say..........Nikita Tryamkin plays tough minutes against first line KHL players and comes out as a plus player in those instances. I think this should dispel any mis-understanding about Tryamkin's last 4 years in the KHL.

About time you took a step deeper into the darkness Jan ;)

I can feel the force in this one darth vader star wars gif GIF

• Like 1

My amended wish list:

Myers Schmidt

Hamonic Hughes

Zadorov Tryamkin

Rathbone / Woo (rolling aces)

We can theoretically sign Hamonic Tryamkin and Zadorov by sharing the money from Edlers 6m

Zadorov comes to us as an RFA (his rights) for Joulevi and Virtannen 

mix an match’em ..

I don’t read too much into L & R positioning,  that’s for face offs and special teams..  players in this day and age can make adjustments accordingly, and they do.

it’s the same as having offensive minded D men getting their position covered by a forward..  if these guys are vocal on the ice,  this stuff happens.

Roaming, not just about your 5 g network.

dream a little,.   That’s a great looking cost effective D core, with room for Farm Prospect progression.

we could be one move away from this after Tryamkin signs

Edited by SilentSam

This year his net KHL salary. after Federal, Oblast and Ekaterinburg city taxes, would have been around US $815,000 to $840,000.

To break even with Canadian Federal, Provincial and City taxes, the Owners' salary clawback and Escrow, the gross would have to be somewhere around US $2.9 and $3.4 million.  If his agent is worth his commission, he'll start by asking $3.75 or thereabouts. Maybe less for longer term

Were not getting him for $1.5 to $2 million

(Does anyone know if Canadian based players pay US Federal and State taxes based on prorated games? e.g. if Edler plays 41 games in Canada and 41 in the US, does he pay US Federal taxes on $3 million?  And if, say, 6 games were in California, does he owe State taxes on 6/41 of that $3 million, and so on for each state?   Or would he file an 8840, claiming a closer connection to another country?)

Edited by Googlie

6 minutes ago, Googlie said:

This year his net KHL salary. after Federal, Oblast and Ekaterinburg city taxes, would have been around US $815,000 to $840,000.

To break even with Canadian Federal, Provincial and City taxes, the Owners' salary clawback and Escrow, the gross would have to be somewhere around US $2.9 and $3.4 million.  If his agent is worth his commission, he'll start by asking $3.75 or thereabouts. Maybe less for longer term

Its so insane how much money is taken off. And the highest tax bracket in Canada is only $216K per year which isn't even enough to get you a house in the Lower Mainland or GTA 

13 hours ago, SilentSam said:

No it won’t!  it’s actually exciting! and to think we might get hockey back on the table once everyone is vaccinated,  a Sept/Oct start would be fantastic.

we have room to get better,  it’s easy to see , and we will.

I have a feeling that 3rd C position might get shared with whoever is 4th C,

I wonder if it’s a position that Podz had experienced playing before. (Thought he did in the WJ’s?)

MacEwan was a centre in Junior.. and did very well with it,  those bigger men don’t like to stop and start so much,. Center position keeps their edges warm and gait long.

I think you are underestimating the importance of a very good 3C (defensively, offensively and physically).  The team needs to develop a much better third line to support the next phase of progression in the young core.  Next season, the goal should be not only to make the playoffs, but to win at least couple of rounds.  The core need to have as much playoff experience as they can get. I do not see any player in the prospect pool that can play at that level, so JB will have to look outside the organization.  I was hoping they would get a chance at Laughton or Lowry, as they were young guys that could be signed long term.  Maybe JB finds a trade in the offseason, but the salary cap it pretty tight.  There are a couple older vets (who are still good players) who might be had for a $ and term that would fit into the Canuck timeline.  Soderstrom or Brassard could do the job.

13 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I think Myers is starting to look really good again, and if he can have 2 more mates ready to shoulder down on opposing forwards, I think his game rises again.. his puck prowess excels.

but just thinking of Zadorov is exciting too..

and the possibility of 3 fluid skating D men over 6’5” ..  the whole team grows 2 inches and 15 pounds heavier.

ps.  Perhaos we can look at Edlers present money distributed into Hamonics upgrade, Tryamkins contracts and possibly Zadorov’s as well.?

Hamonic is presently 1.25 

add 1.25  for 2.5m per.

that leaves 4.75 to distribute between Tryamkin and Zadorov.

we need to find a bridge for Quinn.

Jakes 2.25 + Joulevi’s .975 + an expiring forward. 
(will Loui retire I wonder)

Zadorov will require a minimum of 3.5m (RFA) and Tryamkin probably 2.5m, which will added to the big contracts for Quinn and Pete. Holtby might go to Seattle, but the would have to use about 3m for a replacement.  For the good of the team Loui must go.

I do have a sense that Loui will retire before next season.  The organization has made a clear statement that he will not be playing on the team anymore.  I would think the owners are growing very tired of paying out $6m for nothing.  It wouldn't surprise me if Loui has been given a very ugly preview of next season (Utica). He get's his $1m bonus, which means he out by 3m.  Multimillionaire LE probably thinks returning to Sweden and avoiding a season in Utica is worth the 3m.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

To be fair, this is likely more about long term earning potential than what he gets paid here next year vs KHL. And I'm sure both he and his agent realize that.

He's not going to get more than $1.5-$2.5m here coming back IMO. But this is also why I'd be shocked to see anything longer than a 2 year term initially. Take a couple year term at bottom pair dollars and attempt to earn both a higher position on the roster and the corresponding higher (UFA years) salary in those two years.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1