The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

18 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Regardless what Button thinks, feels and says, you sign Tryamkin. If a better player becomes available, great. But at least he's signed, has the opportunity to prove himself, and/or, to be traded. You simply don't toss aside an asset like him based on what Button thinks.

Exactly. Unless he's probably just  interested in seeing his Leafs steal our free asset. 

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Craig Button was recently on Donnie and Dhali saying that there is no way the Canucks should move to sign Tryamkin in the short run.  He feels Nik is a depth defenseman and does not have the talent to play top 4 minutes.  He says better players will become available this summer due to cap issues the expansion draft and free agency creating opportunities. He feels the Canucks should wait and they will get a better player than Nik.

I was surprised to hear him saying this.  Not sure if he is right.  But he was absolutely clear on his opinion. No ambiguity at all.

fans can get overexcited. Tryamkin is worth a contract in the $1.5 to 2.5 mil. If he doesn't work out another club will take him. No matter what he has to beat out other contenders. He never should have gone home. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

So I gotta say, I kinda agree with Button here. 
Ehile it would be cool to sign him, we could just as easily sign someone else, possibly better.    
And we wouldn’t have to do it before the Expansion Draft. 

Tryamkin camp obviously wants to get this done ASAP, and will be putting pressure on the Canucks to get it done.   
That means he needs to be protected in the expansion draft.  

Id wait him out, or sign someone else. 
lots to pick from 

25 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

So I gotta say, I kinda agree with Button here. 
Ehile it would be cool to sign him, we could just as easily sign someone else, possibly better.    
And we wouldn’t have to do it before the Expansion Draft. 

Tryamkin camp obviously wants to get this done ASAP, and will be putting pressure on the Canucks to get it done.   
That means he needs to be protected in the expansion draft.  

Id wait him out, or sign someone else. 
lots to pick from 

As far as I'm aware, he's exempt from the expansion draft. If we sign him, his contract will not start until July 1st, which is after the draft.

I believe to be exposed in the expansion draft, the player must be under a current contract when the draft runs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

• Thanks 1

"Seattle will have a window of time between when the expansion draft protected lists are finalized and when the expansion draft takes place in which they can sign not only unprotected UFAs, but also unprotected RFAs. The current team CANNOT MATCH. It’s not like an offer sheet." 

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2021/2/18/22284590/seattle-expansion-draft-series-article-1-the-rules

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

"Seattle will have a window of time between when the expansion draft protected lists are finalized and when the expansion draft takes place in which they can sign not only unprotected UFAs, but also unprotected RFAs. The current team CANNOT MATCH. It’s not like an offer sheet." 

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2021/2/18/22284590/seattle-expansion-draft-series-article-1-the-rules

I'm not 100% sure on how this applies to Tryamkin, but Seattle is free to give offers to all UFAs and RFAs.  It's still up to the player to accept the offer, but it's not like we can just choose not to sign a player and wait for after the expansion draft and side skirt the issue. 

6 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'm not 100% sure on how this applies to Tryamkin, but Seattle is free to give offers to all UFAs and RFAs.  It's still up to the player to accept the offer, but it's not like we can just choose not to sign a player and wait for after the expansion draft and side skirt the issue. 

The CapFriendly expansion draft simulator has Tryamkin in the exempt category so if that’s correct he wouldn’t need to be protected despite his RFA status. Any non-exempt RFA or UFA who is left unprotected would be fair game for Seattle to sign.

At least that’s the way I interpret it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Hamonic signed with us for 1.25m.  Does anyone expect Tryamkin is better than Hamonic? Is he better than Myers or Schmidt? I don't think so but if anyone disagrees please speak up. If he is not better than these guys he is a depth signing on this team.

If he is a depth guy,  if you sign him at 2 to 2.5 you may be passing on the chance tosign a much better player at that price sometime this summer as it all plays out.

If you think he can be a legit top 4 that is fine but if you don't think that why would you jump to sign him at 2 to 2.5 when waiting could produce a better asset?

He bailed on us not the other way around.  I expect he will wait to see how it all plays out before he re-signs in Russia - as that is his only option for next year if we don't sign him. So I think time is on the Canucks side not the other way around.

Is he a top 4 or a depth guy? That really is the question.

For me I think he is a depth guy with physicality which is a nice add at the right price.  That is how I remember him playing for us a few years ago on a worse team than we are today. But IMO he is not a sign him regardless of price type of player. Up to 1.5m. Ok. Not more.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

Hamonic signed with us for 1.25m.  Does anyone expect Tryamkin is better than Hamonic? Is he better than Myers or Schmidt? I don't think so but if anyone disagrees please speak up. If he is not better than these guys he is a depth signing on this team.

If he is a depth guy,  if you sign him at 2 to 2.5 you may be passing on the chance tosign a much better player at that price sometime this summer as it all plays out.

If you think he can be a legit top 4 that is fine but if you don't think that why would you jump to sign him at 2 to 2.5 when waiting could produce a better asset?

He bailed on us not the other way around.  I expect he will wait to see how it all plays out before he re-signs in Russia - as that is his only option for next year if we don't sign him. So I think time is on the Canucks side not the other way around.

For me I think he is a depth guy with physicality which is a nice add at the right price.  That is how I remember him playing for us a few years ago on a worse team than we are today. But IMO he is not a sign him regardless of price type of player. Up to 1.5m. Ok. Not more.

• Come on Jack! There is no one here...absolutely one that knows either way...........we can only go on his record............this is his record

Just a little info I dug up on Tryamkin's last 4 years in the KHL

20-21   Playoffs         +4           21:00 TOI            5 games           2 PTs

20-21   Regular          -3           20:50 TOI           60 games         15 PTs

19-20   Playoffs         +1           22:40 TOI             5 games          2 PTs

19-20   Regular         +10         19:50 TOI           58 games        12 PTs

18-19    Playoffs         -1           21:30 TOI             9 games           2 PTs

18-19    Regular        +12         20:30 TOI           41 games          11 PTs

17-18    Playoffs           0          21:50 TOI             6 games            0 PTs

17-18    Regular        +12         21:10 TOI           51 games          25 PTs

So, what I can see about these stats is first of all................

#1. Tryamkin plays alot of minutes.............looks to be 1st pairing minutes in all KHL season's since his return

#2. Tryamkin's minutes go up in every year in the playoffs, even in his last year, where the coach knew he was leaving at the end of the season

#3. Tryamkin is a plus player in the playoffs, so IMO, he ups his game

#4  Tryamkin had a weak team in the playoffs

#5  Tryamkin's coach plays Nikita more in the Playoffs as the competition improves

And give it a rest on the turning his back on the team......................do you want to be judged the same way? So no one ever lets up on you?

Be careful what you wish for!  And judge others like you would want yourself judged.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

10 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:
  • Come on Jack! There is no one here...absolutely one that knows either way...........we can only go on his record............this is his record
And judge others like you would want yourself judged.

What's next partner, you gonna yell all in CAPS? Lol.

Look, I like Nik and hope he can be an impact player. Button thinks he is a depth guy who the Canucks should wait on signing as he thinks better players will be available in the summer. 

That's all.  It's a discussion. No need for hysterics, 

Meh.

Some posters think he isn't worth resigning, the grass is always greener

Some think he is a 6/7/8 depth guy

Some think he has top 4 potential

Some think, that paired with Hughes, Canucks might have the most dynamic D pairing in the league for the next 5 years

Who really knows?

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Look, I like Nik and hope he can be an impact player. Button thinks he is a depth guy who the Canucks should wait on signing as he thinks better players will be available in the summer. 

First, I do not bold print for any other reason than to make sure you see it, Some people scan over things and don't actually read everything..........

Secondly, and most important is to get the message to you that your point of him leaving is getting stale. I mean, you are entitled to your opinion, but it gets beat to death, and it has been well documented as to why he left.............Plenty of blame for all parties. I just don't think it is part of conversation. And as I say that, you again are entitled to your opinion, but if you are going to point fingers, make sure to judge yourself. I know I have made a enough mistakes to last a lifetime. I mean who cares why he left, do you dislike Tanev for leaving? Or Toffoli? More importantly, would you have them back? 

Craig Button is a hockey journalist...........his job is to express his opinion. What he does not say, is cost or whether we want to pay the asking price.............

Tryamkin's cost is his salary, nothing extra. Now in saying that, if Tryamkin wants 3+ million, he can go pound sand, and we should trade him, but if he wants to come in and compete for a job at a reasonable rate, then sure, lets see what he has. Like I said he is a defensive Dman with exceptional size. It is a quality you can not teach, and a very important one,  that we don't have. I posted the 4 years of his stats, because it illustrates what his coaches think of him. Yet curiously, you do not want to talk about that, or draw a conclusion about that.

Further more, as it sits right now, we have 3 very highly talented LHD plus Edler on LHD and 2 very expensive and decent RHD veterans, and Hamonic who is a UFA, but may still be a Canuck when this is all over. Tryamkin, can also play both sides, which lends himself to being a very versatile player. Sure, if Benning wants to wait and run the risk of Tryamkin getting Pssed off, then wait. Roll the dice, and bet on him going back to the KHL for 1 more year, and coming back a UFA only to sign with someone like Edmonton.

IMO, Hamonic is the questionable one, or maybe Myers, if the guy available is better, but that is like going hunting and letting a animal pass by only because there might be a bigger animal come through later........."might".

I honestly think, people do not give the KHL enough credit. It is the second best league in the world, with more Russian players that could come over, but don't, because of the language barrier. 

So, yeah sure, if you want to listen and quote Craig Button's, go ahead. But if you want to have any credit, don't spout off garbally goop. Join in the conversation, with fact, and openness to be convinced otherwise. If you want to explain Tryamkin's stats, as something different......please do, just don't ignore fact and spout BS.

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

EP Rinkside.   Daniel Gee.   Igor Eronko.  

KHL Diaries.   Patric C.    Canucksabbyfan2

and KHL.      

...are all good Twitter accounts that pertain to watching our prospects and or overseas hockey in general.

Canuckabbyfan2. is solid,    Lots of video on our prospects including Tryamkin.

Its the collective opinion I gather from reports like this, to form an opinion of my own.

Having an opinion without any related facts or numbers,  is really only a personal statement without real knowledge.

Too many times , especially in this thread, posters appear only to spew the emotional attachment or dislike they have for a player.

Even if you go back 100 pages of this 700 page thread, you will find decent information that has been shared , that might have you affirming a position you might have, or coming to a whole new conclusion on this player.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Meh.

Some posters think he isn't worth resigning, the grass is always greener

Some think he is a 6/7/8 depth guy

Some think he has top 4 potential

Some think, that paired with Hughes, Canucks might have the most dynamic D pairing in the league for the next 5 years

Who really knows?

To be honest Google,  I didn’t think Hamonic would resurrect himself with us..

Perhaps my keen and good expectations of Tryamkin, are as vastly underrated ;) 

13 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

You know why right? That isn't the benchmark price.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Hamonic was a special case and that wasn’t market rate at all.  Even with his personal limitations to only sign with a couple of clubs, I don’t expect him to be on the same contract going forward.

There “could” be deals to be had again this offseason, then again maybe not.

It falls in the probably not this offseason because Seattle will be taking a bunch of defencemen from teams that will need to replace those guys.  There aren’t just a bunch of spare NHL calibre D hanging around the league, you see guys way past their prime still hanging on because no one is pushing them out.

D are going to be more valuable this offseason because of supply and demand.

The timing of when we need a a Tryamkin decision due to the KHL and him needing to know whether he is getting a contract offer from us means we have to do it sooner rather than later.

Whether he is better or worse than Myers doesn’t factor into it as we aren’t planning on giving him a $6 million dollar contract with a bunch of term.

It will be a Benn type deal.

Pearson was the player we didn’t need to sign so soon, he is already under contract with us and couldn’t negotiate with other teams.  We could have waited on him with no likely downside.

• Cheers 3