The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Claim] Canucks Claim Brandon Mcmillian from AZ

HowYaDrouin

In regards to the waiver thing.

Maybe we're doing them a favour in lieue of a larger trade with them?

Ha who knows.

The pick up IS kind of questionable though really. Kenins almost certainly being sent down, Bonino certainly injured a few weeks. Trade almost a possibility.

Sooooo many tweeners on this team right now

Sounds like there are elements of both Mike Santorelli/Shawn Matthias, here. Santorelli also had a habit of fading in the back-half of seasons after phenominal starts,..worn-out by injuries or for other reasons. McMillian does sound like a heart and soul WD character-guy...as a random fill-in here or another good mentor for the kids in Utica. JB is bracing for the up-coming trading deadline and just aquiring some more depth, in all areas, so that he can be a dealer. He's been learning what other teams need & what he may need to part with. Stay tuned.

Exactly...Benning has player stats and scenarios plastered all over his office. He is a fanatic about following players who may become available and who the Nucks may want to target. He likely has numerous scenarios mapped out for this team depending on a thousand other factors. I am looking forward to seeing what he sees as the best moves to move this team towards his vision. It will likely involve numerous moves like this for depth, trade bait etc.

Hmmm so I guess they'll send Kenins down?

Or is Brendan on a two way deal?

Pretty sure a two way deal only determines what a player will Make in the NHL compared to the AHL. If you mean 'waiver eligible' - he just got picked up off waivers, so my guses is no

Definitely a depth maneuver. I see a lot of conjecture and it could really be any of the things mentioned. A depth move, a perceived better option than a current left winger, a potential trade in the works with current roster players are all possible. Be interesting between now and deadline day. For this team moving forward though I really want us to keep pieces like Mathias and Dorsett and if possible Richardson. Time for a slow changing of the guard.

He was picked up on waivers so he will most likely be reassigned to Utica. No guarantees for anyone to get a roster spot. Kenins has played well and will likely maintain the spot. Green will likely observe Mcmillian and give his recommendations to Benning and Willie. Or he might slot right into the lineup. Point is, we don't know.

Useless pickup, hope he's just a Utica fill-in because Kenins is here long term?

Should have snagged Dylan Olsen when we had the chance.

24 year old, 6'2" 223 left handed physical defenceman and former 1st rounder by Chicago in a deep 2009 draft. He was 0.5PPG in the AHL last year and this season has 8 points (2G) in 44 games (-7 though).

We seriously lack size and grit on our blueline and Olsen would have been a nice pickup and little project. Instead we get McMillan for some reason and now our waiver wire spot is probably dead last.

Definitely a depth maneuver. I see a lot of conjecture and it could really be any of the things mentioned. A depth move, a perceived better option than a current left winger, a potential trade in the works with current roster players are all possible. Be interesting between now and deadline day. For this team moving forward though I really want us to keep pieces like Mathias and Dorsett and if possible Richardson. Time for a slow changing of the guard.

We traded a pick for Dorsett, he wont be going anywhere. As for Mathias, I see him going for a late 2nd rounder at most. Personally, I feel we should keep Mathias because he is reminding me of a LA kings player, big body, hard nosed, and works hard. Now with Richardson, again what can you get? A late 3rd rounder? A guy like Higgins, Lack should be dealt. Most Canuck's will get at this years deadline will be draft picks unless they make the horrible decision of trading away Kassian,which will be dumb because Kassian can be a great 3rd liner in the future for us.

He was picked up on waivers so he will most likely be reassigned to Utica. No guarantees for anyone to get a roster spot. Kenins has played well and will likely maintain the spot. Green will likely observe Mcmillian and give his recommendations to Benning and Willie. Or he might slot right into the lineup. Point is, we don't know.

That doesn't make much sense... he has to be exposed to waivers to get sent down.

More likely that they need a warm body that costs nothing to fill in a roster spot during our injuries. We don't have a spare forward available right now. If Benning is able to pull the trigger on a lasst minute deal that moves out a forward, we can still ice 4 full lines.

Ah that clarifies everything. That's a very unique situation.

just a little more clarification, if anyone during the process (either arizona after we place him on waivers or anyone else that claims him when they place him on subsequent waivers) doesn't want to send him to their farm team after they claim him he doesn't have to enter waivers again, they just keep him. my statement was only if everyone in that scenario wanted to send him to their farm team.

Hmmm so I guess they'll send Kenins down?

Or is Brendan on a two way deal?

two way deal applies to your pay scale. If on a two way deal, he would get an NHL paycheque when in the NHL and an AHL one when sent down. A one way deal means he gets an NHL paycheque no matter

Archived