The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

Gaudette wins Hobey Baker, has played four games for Canucks

Forward led NCAA in scoring with Northeastern, chosen over Donato, Borgstrom

NHL.com @NHL

4:42 PM

**** CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS POST......I AM NOT SURE HOW TO 'EMBED' ??  THE INTERVIEW.   TIA !

cut.jpg

Adam Gaudette won the Hobey Baker Award on Friday, given annually to the player voted to be the best in NCAA Division I men's ice hockey.

"Coming to Northeastern has been the biggest thing in my life," the Vancouver Canucks forward prospect said in St. Paul, Minnesota, the site of the NCAA Frozen Four. "It helped me to prepare to be a pro, and I can't thank the coaches and the staff enough for that.

"In saying so, my career at Northeastern has come to an end and I am excited to start my career with the Vancouver Canucks."

cut.jpg

NHL Now: Adam Gaudette

• 05:34 • 6:42 PM

Gaudette, a 21-year-old junior, led the NCAA with 60 points (30 goals, 30 assists) in 38 games this season. He was named Hockey East Player of the Year, Hockey East Player of the Month for January and February, and MVP of the Beanpot tournament. He is the first player from Northeastern to win the award.

Selected No. 149 in the 2015 NHL Draft by the Canucks, Gaudette signed a three-year, entry-level contract March 26. He has no points in four NHL games, including playing 13:04 in a 5-4 overtime win against the Arizona Coyotes in Vancouver on Thursday.

Harvard University center Ryan Donato, who has five goals in 10 games with the Boston Bruins, and University of Denver center Henrik Borgstrom, who made his NHL debut with the Florida Panthers on March 29, were the other finalists.

"I never thought I'd be in this position, but it's an honor, especially since the two other guys are great hockey players," Gaudette said. "I think it could have gone to any one of them."

Donato, a 21-year-old junior, had 43 points (26 goals, 17 assists) in 29 games this season, finishing fourth in the NCAA in goals. He led the United States with five goals in five games at the 2018 PyeongChang Olympics. Selected in the second round (No. 56) in the 2014 NHL Draft, he signed a three-year, entry-level NHL contract March 14.

Borgstrom, a 20-year-old sophomore, had 52 points (23 goals, 29 assists) in 40 games this season, tied for fourth in the NCAA. Selected by the Panthers in the first round (No. 23) of the 2016 NHL Draft, he was signed to a three-year, entry-level contract March 26 and has no points in two NHL games.

New Jersey Devils defenseman Will Butcher (Denver) won the award last year. New York Rangers forward Jimmy Vesey (Harvard) won it in 2016, Buffalo Sabres center Jack Eichel (Boston University) won it in 2015, and Calgary Flames forward Johnny Gaudreau (Boston College) won it in 2014.

cut.jpg

Congratulations Adam!

• 00:30 • 3:43 PM

Edited by redhdlois
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JamesB said:

Agree with these comments. And Adam has been unlucky not to get on the scoreboard so far. At a minimum, he is solid defensively and he provides quite a bit of energy. I see no reason for him to go to Utica next year. I have him pencilled in at 4C next year on the Canucks. He needs to add some strength and improve his face-off performance and he will  continue to work on his skating. But I like his 200 ft game. He is the kind of guy who can play effectively in the bottom 6 even if he does not have a good enough skill level to play top 6 at the NHL level. And he is potentially a shutdown/PK guy at the NHL level.  I actually rate Gaudette as a better prospect than Goldobin, largely for that reason.

I am all in favour of going the "young player" route next year, with Pettersson, Gaudette, Leipsic and Dahlen all getting a long look, in addition to Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen and Baertschi, who I assume will all be on the team. Guys like Gaunce and Goldy are going to need to make quite a bit of progress over the summer to make the team next year.

I have to disagree.

For me Goldobin has already done things that elevate him to a top 6 player. His vision, passing and the way he can finish is top class. If he can work on consistency, more speed and get a bit stronger he may well be a huge player for us.

I don't say any of that to detract from Gaudette, who has surprised me with his speed, positioning and high energy, already. He is just starting and may well make it to 2nd/3rd line centre in time but I am not sure he has the high end touch and flair that Goldy has.

What a crazy good year for our prospects.  Ep winning the scroring title, AG winning the Hobey Baker, Dahlen carrying his team up to the SHL, Demko making huge strides and gettimg his first NHL win, Joulevi playing extremenly well in FInland, Gadjovich making team Canada, Lind putting up huge points in the WHL, Jasek shining in his (brief) time in Utica.  It's one thing to have prospects with potential, another to have them excelling.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BCNate said:

What a crazy good year for our prospects.  Ep winning the scroring title, AG winning the Hobey Baker, Dahlen carrying his team up to the SHL, Demko making huge strides and gettimg his first NHL win, Joulevi playing extremenly well in FInland, Gadjovich making team Canada, Lind putting up huge points in the WHL, Jasek shining in his (brief) time in Utica.  It's one thing to have prospects with potential, another to have them excelling.

Believe in Benning. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I have to disagree.

For me Goldobin has already done things that elevate him to a top 6 player. His vision, passing and the way he can finish is top class. If he can work on consistency, more speed and get a bit stronger he may well be a huge player for us.

I don't say any of that to detract from Gaudette, who has surprised me with his speed, positioning and high energy, already. He is just starting and may well make it to 2nd/3rd line centre in time but I am not sure he has the high end touch and flair that Goldy has.

I agree that Goldy has more top 6 potential than Gaudette. However, Goldy can't, in my view, play effectively in the bottom 6. He is unlikely to ever be good defensively and is very unlikely to ever play shutdown or PK. And he will never contribute to the physical game or provide a high energy game.

So it is a tradeoff. Goldy might have a 40% chance of becoming a good top 6 forward, but a 60% chance of being nothing more than a fringe player.

Gaudette has less chance being a good top 6 forward (maybe 20%) but is very likely to at least be a good bottom 6 forward. So Goldy has more upside but Gaudette has less variance.

So there isn't a "right" answer. If I personally has to choose to keep one guy and let the other one go, I would choose Gaudette but I agree that reasonable people could go the other way.

• Upvote 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

It's what knuckleheads do, AJ. I didn't know that they had brains to lose. 

I just find it funny that most of the people who are so against Benning and what he does are the ones that want to  tank and build through the draft.

After this draft he will have built a top 1-3 prospect pool in the league while only bottoming out for 3 seasons.  That is a pretty damn impressive rebuild.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BCNate said:

I just find it funny that most of the people who are so against Benning and what he does are the ones that want to  tank and build through the draft.

After this draft he will have built a top 1-3 prospect pool in the league while only bottoming out for 3 seasons.  That is a pretty damn impressive rebuild.

Agreed. Well said, BCNate. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

But, if he hadda done more tearing down, he woulda had even more pickz and prospectz!

:unsure:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

His best game yet tonight.  Arguably one of the top performers, very noticeable.  A summer of regaining his lost weight and he's going to rock the youth camps/tourneys and power his way into main camp come September.

Is it ok to get excited now? or should I keep tempering my expectations :picard:

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

His best game yet tonight.  Arguably one of the top performers, very noticeable.  A summer of regaining his lost weight and he's going to rock the youth camps/tourneys and power his way into main camp come September.

You can see he can be a dynamic guy and take over the game.  All the elements are there, just needs to get physically mature and stronger to utilize those skills.

• Upvote 1