The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

I hope Stecher's summer regime has consisted of an upper body heavy workout routine and him just pounding pucks at the net from the blueline. If he wants to be a viable option in the offensive zone he has to develop a threateninv shot. Until that happens he's as useless on the PP as Hutton or Tanev. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I hope Stecher's summer regime has consisted of an upper body heavy workout routine and him just pounding pucks at the net from the blueline. If he wants to be a viable option in the offensive zone he has to develop a threateninv shot. Until that happens he's as useless on the PP as Hutton or Tanev. 

Not gonna lie, if we want a good PP he won't be on it. I don't think he'll ever develop enough of an arsenal to warrant being on the PP. His strengths are compete and solid two way play. Then again, nothing is impossible. 24 years old isn't old by any means. His shot is gonna need massive improvements to become a PP guy. There was a time that we hoped Tanev would develop his shot and become a top 2 stud. Never came to be. A 5/6 guy (that can play top 4 with a stud lefty) that can kill penalties isn't too bad for a player we didn't draft or trade for.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Not gonna lie, if we want a good PP he won't be on it. I don't think he'll ever develop enough of an arsenal to warrant being on the PP. His strengths are compete and solid two way play. Then again, nothing is impossible. 24 years old isn't old by any means. His shot is gonna need massive improvements to become a PP guy. There was a time that we hoped Tanev would develop his shot and become a top 2 stud. Never came to be. A 5/6 guy (that can play top 4 with a stud lefty) that can kill penalties isn't too bad for a player we didn't draft or trade for.

Pretty much agree with you here.  The only thing that sets him apart from other dmen is his tremendous work ethic and energy, which makes me hopeful that he will continue to improve for the next few years.  Kids got a good attitude and can hustle mightily.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-stechers-forever-grateful-of-departed-linden-for-being-in-his-corner

Troy Stecher scored a two-year, US $4.65 million contract extension last month. The primary assist should go to Trevor Linden because salary arbitration was never in the cards for Stecher. Franchise loyalty was.

Troy Stecher scored a two-year, US $4.65-million contract extension last month. The primary assist should go to Trevor Linden because salary arbitration was never in the cards for Stecher.

Franchise loyalty was.

Linden, the former president of hockey operations for the Vancouver Canucks, was instrumental in the NHL club keeping Stecher — an undrafted and undersized defenceman — on its radar.

“Trevor did a lot for me early on when I first came in,” the 24-year-old Richmond athlete said Thursday. “He was somebody who was in my corner and supported me a lot.

“The Canucks were the first team that gave me a chance at development camp in my first year of college (North Dakota) and started the lines of communication.”

The disconnect that led to Linden’s dismissal July 25 will have a ripple effect in the locker room, but Stecher stressed players can’t get distracted by what happens outside of their sanctuary.

“You have to understand that it’s a business,” said Stecher. “There are always reasons behind it (dismissal), and it’s not your place to get involved when you don’t understand things from your own point of view.

“It’s one of those things where I’m just going to keep my distance, respect the decision that was made and wish him all the best.”

• 4 weeks later...

Troy Stecher about to embark on his 3rd season. I'm going to start counting how many posters still can't spell his name. I think there were 5 different posters who found it too difficult yesterday. Just 2 so far today. Is it really so hard to spell ? ( there are lots of mock rosters at the moment, so lots of chances to get it wrong )

7 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Troy Stecher about to embark on his 3rd season. I'm going to start counting how many posters still can't spell his name. I think there were 5 different posters who found it too difficult yesterday. Just 2 so far today. Is it really so hard to spell ? ( there are lots of mock rosters at the moment, so lots of chances to get it wrong )

OMG OMG OMG...SPELLING POLICE SPELLING POLICE!!!

I kid. I got roasted for asking that one poster to quit purposely spelling the name of boqvist wrong just to provoke. Hope you don't get crucified by the same fools lol. They can't even understand asking a poster to spell a name isn't the SPELLING POLICE. They have boring arse lives I guess lol.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Haha 2

On 10/10/2018 at 7:48 AM, reyezone said:

Stetcher with a very strong game against Carolina. He looks like he has improved his puck control while skating at top speed. Also a real nice job of walking the line to get a shot through on net

He did some of the best "line walking" I've seen in a long time.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I think we should move him at the deadline for whatever we can get. Hughes will make him irrelevant. Stecher is a nice feel good hometown story but he gets crushed by physical competition and has no exceptional skills to offset that deficiency. 

When we're contending again in a few years, I could easily see him in something like a Yannick Weber type role. A good, bottom pair guy who can play on the 2nd PP.

He's not really in competition with Hughes IMO and hence not 'irrelevant'.

2 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I think we should move him at the deadline for whatever we can get. Hughes will make him irrelevant. Stecher is a nice feel good hometown story but he gets crushed by physical competition and has no exceptional skills to offset that deficiency. 

I kinda agree but Stecher has such a compete in his game that I am willing to watch his season. 2nd year pro and still working into the league. His size is his biggest challenge. 

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I kinda agree but Stecher has such a compete in his game that I am willing to watch his season. 2nd year pro and still working into the league. His size is his biggest challenge. 

Agree with this. Hughes does probably make Stech irrelevant in a lot of ways, but I'd bet that Stecher is inspiring to teammates with the way he plays, which in itself adds value.

Stetcher just seems to get in done on a consistent basis. I see him being a value piece down the line. Still so much more room for growth at his age, and he seems to work harder than almost anyone on the team. This is the kid who biked from east van to the rink every practice in his first year and apparently pushes himself to the point of vomit with a regularity that no longer surprises his teammates. I simply dont see how he doesnt continue to progress.

I think he ends up as a solid #4 dman. There may be some 40 point seasons down the line for the boy tony.

• Upvote 3

On 10/23/2018 at 5:43 PM, -AJ- said:

Agree with this. Hughes does probably make Stech irrelevant in a lot of ways, but I'd bet that Stecher is inspiring to teammates with the way he plays, which in itself adds value.

Maybe JR makes Troy irrelevant.

On 10/23/2018 at 12:27 PM, Boudrias said:

Stecher thinks the game quickly though.  He's a good D man, who will (likely) have a spot on our team, even with the young guys coming up.