Edler

Gudbranson

Del Zotto

Stecher 

Pouliot

Hutton

Juolevi / Hughes

Biega

Juolevi and Hughes have really created a dog fight amongst those 3 middle players. I believe one of them with have to be dropped if either Juolevi or Hughes make the team out of camp. I'd be $&!#ting my pants if I was Hutton. Personally, I think he should be the one to go. Maybe he can turn it around next year but I don't see it happening, regardless of how hard he's been working out.

Personally I think Juolevi will and should start in the A but may end up playing half the season in Van.

hahahaha Gudbranson over Stecher.... not a chance

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RetroCanuck said:

hahahaha Gudbranson over Stecher.... not a chance

Those weren't in any particular order. Just how I think the D we could see on the team next year are currently grouped.

I think both Stecher and Gudbranson have a lot to prove if they are going to make a case that they can be regular defensemen on a top team.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, dank.sinatra said:

Those weren't in any particular order. Just how I think the D we could see on the team next year are currently grouped.

I think both Stecher and Gudbranson have a lot to prove if they are going to make a case that they can be regular defensemen on a top team.

Ahhh all our D have something to prove

15 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I agree I think they need to move a D. The problem is who. Definitely won't be: Gudbranson, Tanev, or Edler. I think MDZ will be moved (if a team even wants him) but not until the trade deadline. Pouliot I don't think they will move, he probably won't get anything. Stecher is highly unlikely, RH D and has more value to us. Hutton is the one guy that's a prime candidate but his value needs to be brought back up first.

I think Juolevi starts down in the A. Someone will get injured in the first week (or two) of the season, and he'll probably be the first call up. 

IMHO Hutton has to up his physical game to stick with the Canucks. It will be interesting to see his weight come September. I think he can play at 210 but his mindset wasn't there for most of the season. His offense has to be viewed as a bonus. His d-zone coverage has to be more physical.  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, stawns said:

I think the AHL is a better place to devlope, personally.  He won't get as much time to train as he would in the NCAA, but he'd be in the ballpark and he would get a lot more games in.

Yeah the AHL wouldn't be bad either. And he would be there for call-ups.

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

IMHO Hutton has to up his physical game to stick with the Canucks. It will be interesting to see his weight come September. I think he can play at 210 but his mindset wasn't there for most of the season. His offense has to be viewed as a bonus. His d-zone coverage has to be more physical.  

I agree. He needs to be more assertive defensively. Offensively he's downright terrible at shooting but he's not bad as more of a passer/playmaker. He should really work on his shot. 

On 2018-06-29 at 1:34 AM, stawns said:

I think the AHL is a better place to devlope, personally.  He won't get as much time to train as he would in the NCAA, but he'd be in the ballpark and he would get a lot more games in.

I am fine with either option. Hughes can sign if he chooses and work his way up from

the AHL. I would be surprised if he stayed down long. 

If the college route is picked, he will sign ala Macavoy and come in at the end of the year. 

Both options are positive. He can avoid the CHL route.  The NCAA and AHL are both excellent ways to develop young guys. 

13 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Extra weight isn't good if it's pure fat. ;)

Im hopping Juolevi goes to Utica and quietly dominates, while Hughes makes the Canucks and gets a lot of attention. With the spotlight on Hughes I think Juolevi will be more comfortable when he gets called up to come in and play his game. 

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I am fine with either option. Hughes can sign if he chooses and work his way up from

the AHL. I would be surprised if he stayed down long.

So I'm picturing camp and the preseason, watching MDZ, Hutton, Pouliot, and Hughes playing for LHS D positions.  Saw that Hughes was outplayed by all three and sent to Utica.

Then I realized it was pure fantasy and started laughing.

• Wat 1

7 hours ago, Baggins said:

Extra weight isn't good if it's pure fat. ;)

My numbers could be corrected but I think Hutton broke in at 185 pounds and his weight went up to 215. I agree that is a lot of weight in a short time. I suspect the thought process was that he needed to be bigger for puck battles and heavy play in front of the net. His challenge, IMHO, is how he transitions his conditioning. If he can improve his muscle and stay in the 210 area I have hope he can improve his play. I have not given up hope on Hutton. That said the d-depth could overtake him.   

7 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

So I'm picturing camp and the preseason, watching MDZ, Hutton, Pouliot, and Hughes playing for LHS D positions.  Saw that Hughes was outplayed by all three and sent to Utica.

Then I realized it was pure fantasy and started laughing.

If Hughes is sent down it will be for adjusting to the pros and to build up strength. 

It is hard not to see both Hughes and  OJ as our most skilled d men. Would think that a OJ Trymakin pairing and Hughes Guddy pairing would combine enough strengths from each partner to be effective. 

That three year deal is russia could be bought out...

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast

On 6/25/2018 at 9:56 PM, doobiedoodoo said:

Everybody will be talking about Hughes now. This just might give OJ the breathing room to develop.

A blue chip defensive prospect in the system = more competition for spots = more pressure, no? This also applies to guys like Hutton, not just Juolevi. 

The real winners post-draft are guys like Virtanen who saw little added competition for winger spots. 

• Wat 1

21 minutes ago, guntrix said:

A blue chip defensive prospect in the system = more competition for spots = more pressure, no? This also applies to guys like Hutton, not just Juolevi. 

The real winners post-draft are guys like Virtanen who saw little added competition for winger spots. 

Development of previous picks has already got competition for wingers spots pretty intense this year and more so next year.  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

My numbers could be corrected but I think Hutton broke in at 185 pounds and his weight went up to 215. I agree that is a lot of weight in a short time. I suspect the thought process was that he needed to be bigger for puck battles and heavy play in front of the net. His challenge, IMHO, is how he transitions his conditioning. If he can improve his muscle and stay in the 210 area I have hope he can improve his play. I have not given up hope on Hutton. That said the d-depth could overtake him.   

Players have to be very careful when bulking up.  If it comes too fast, it can have a detrimental effect on their game.  They have to train the right way and be patient.  I think you're in the right ballpark on his weight gain.  Hutton hasn't been the same since.

Virtanen had the same issue in his 2nd year.  Incidentally, he's back up to his original target weight after his rookie season (229) but he did it the right way the 2nd time and his hockey fitness is fine now.

When I hear all these young guys like Juolevi talk about needing to get stronger, I just hope they do it the right way.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2018 at 6:38 AM, Boudrias said:

The fact he was criticized for his conditioning last season tells me it wasn't muscle he put on.

6 minutes ago, Baggins said:

The fact he was criticized for his conditioning last season tells me it wasn't muscle he put on.

I would be very much surprised if most of his weight increase was not muscle. But bulking up with muscle does not automatically improve cardio conditioning, and can very easily degrade speed and agility, which is what seems to have happened here.