The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Juolevi isn't as flashy but he is much more of a composed player. Calm cool and collected.

Safer and better pick IMO.

He is the smartest defenseman in the draft IMO.

Definitely safer and higher iq. I was hoping for the risk/reward player in sergachev who I think will become a top 10 d in the league. 

Either way I'm happy with the pick. 

• Like 1

lucic, eriksson, stamkos, ladd, brouwer are all on bennings gun sights hope he bags 2 of these guys  then picking a dman  wpnt even be a worry  im pumped we got juolevi hes gonna be a powerplay and offensive stud dman for us for next 10-15 yrs 

wander if benning has any trades on go for a few more draft picks and more cap space

goodbye  hamhuis, higgins, weber, bartoski, vrbata, vey  16 mill in wasted cap right here last yr 

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Definitely safer and higher iq. I was hoping for the risk/reward player in sergachev who I think will become a top 10 d in the league. 

Either way I'm happy with the pick. 

I think Juolevi will be a top 4 defenseman. The question will be can he be a #1?

Sergachev could be a stud or dud IMO. High upside and high offensive skill.

Good pick for MTL. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Juolevi isn't as flashy but he is much more of a composed player. Calm cool and collected.

Safer and better pick IMO.

He is the smartest defenseman in the draft IMO.

What I've found is that Dmen who have the fundamentals down (like Juolevi apparently does) tend to be able to play the game at the next level with relative ease, while Dmen who have more flash and dance, but aren't as defensively sound seem to have some issues.

The one area of our prospect pool that has looked weak for a long long time.

Suddenly we have another huge piece to the puzzle.

I wasn't sold on Dubois as a first line center anyways. I think we're better getting a center with true number 1 potential in another draft. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Hedman said:

Done with this team. Cya.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Like this pick, would have considered moving down to 7th and maybe still being able to get him (or take Sergachev if not) but I've said before I would be fine taking him at 5th overall. He could be a top pairing, all around D-man who can contribute offence. Not as sold on Tkachuck's ceiling as I am on Juolevi's but time will tell.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

What I've found is that Dmen who have the fundamentals down (like Juolevi apparently does) tend to be able to play the game at the next level with relative ease, while Dmen who have more flash and dance, but aren't as defensively sound seem to have some issues.

Juolevi's play style definitely fits in the new NHL. High IQ topped with high skill is highly coveted throughout the league.

I liked a lot of D in this draft for a lot of reasons but Juolevi I always thought as a sure fire NHL top 4 defenseman.

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Damn, that D actually looks sexy as hell!

If Jordan Subban can make the leap in the NHL as a Torey Kurg like OFD how cool would it be to see a Tryamkin/Subban pairing nicknames anyone? "David and Goliath"? 

Edited by iinatcc