The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 5/3/2020 at 3:35 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

This is interesting about Tanev?

I presumed, and my observation was he gets squished a lot less with Hughes as the primary puck retriever. As much as Tanev is fast. QH offering the lightning quickness to get to pucks untouched. Get it & get it out! Rather than absorb the punishment Chris did retrieving pucks. 

I wonder what his blocked shot total was; down? My other observation is he spent a lot more time up ice, with Quinn having either retrieved, or even lugging it up himself. Greatly reducing blocked shots. We also got to see some offence. Hughes even calling Tanev under rated offensively?

Less shoulder and rib problems from absorbing punishing hits from fore checking forwards. Less fractured legs, swollen skate feet, bone bruising and battering from pucks fearlessly using his body to get in front of.  Less errant sticks and pucks breaking his teeth, or concussing in front of the net. 

I thought a great deal of his health was related to being partnered with Quinn  Hughes.  

Agreed that this also helps Tanev a lot. But I do recall many of Tanev’s injuries occurring while blocking shots.

• Cheers 2

I have been rewatch some of the Comets games and in a game against the Phantoms in January, Ollie took a guy down right a way after the Phantom's player ran Mikie.  As the season progressed, I thought that he got more comfortable with the Physical part of the game.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...

I still feel Juolevi 22, 6'3 will be a NHL #3 or #4 NHL D man in next 15 months.. Juolevi has had injuries the last 3 years slowing his development.

Last season he had a major knee injury only playing   GP 18 -- PTS 13  -   2019-2020 GP 45 -= PTS 25 .. Juolevi missed 13 games with knee acting up..

Juolevi is still young 22 and will develop into NHL #4 D man if he can shake injury bug..Has natural talent and will be NHL ready in 15 months..

Edited by wildcam

18 hours ago, austy said:

Would Olli make a canucks black aces squad? 

I'd have to think that they would go with Saunter or Chatfield first, then Rafferty/Brisebois/Joulevi.  Just based on who their call ups were this year.  Benning is probably very happy to have Joulevi train all summer in Finland in order to push for a roster spot out of camp next year.

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

I'd have to think that they would go with Saunter or Chatfield first, then Rafferty/Brisebois/Joulevi.  Just based on who their call ups were this year.  Benning is probably very happy to have Joulevi train all summer in Finland in order to push for a roster spot out of camp next year.

Agreed. The longer Juolevi can be kept out of action, the better. He may be “recovered” to the point where he’s able to play, but he’s a long way from being 100% when it comes to overall function and performance.

You don’t have to be a medical expert to understand the biomechanical connections between back, hip, and knee injuries, nor do you need to be a hockey expert to see how Juolevi struggles with his mobility, especially when it comes to his pivots and the explosiveness in his first strides.

There’s a big mobility issue right now, and IMO (and I’m not a doctor) it’s not one that’s really going to be fixed by just playing through these issues, and putting even more strain on the parts of his body that need to recover. He needs time (and expert supervision) to properly train, rehab, and strengthen those parts of his body, and he probably needs some form of bodywork and movement analysis (and from the best people money can buy), so that he can finally get his body where it needs to be.

Juolevi has an NHL brain (in that he sees and understands the game at a very high level). He does not, at this point (mostly due to the injuries), have anything close to an NHL body. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Agreed. The longer Juolevi can be kept out of action, the better. He may be “recovered” to the point where he’s able to play, but he’s a long way from being 100% when it comes to overall function and performance.

You don’t have to be a medical expert to understand the biomechanical connections between back, hip, and knee injuries, nor do you need to be a hockey expert to see how Juolevi struggles with his mobility, especially when it comes to his pivots and the explosiveness in his first strides.

There’s a big mobility issue right now, and IMO (and I’m not a doctor) it’s not one that’s really going to be fixed by just playing through these issues, and putting even more strain on the parts of his body that need to recover. He needs time (and expert supervision) to properly train, rehab, and strengthen those parts of his body, and he probably needs some form of bodywork and movement analysis (and from the best people money can buy), so that he can finally get his body where it needs to be.

Juolevi has an NHL brain (in that he sees and understands the game at a very high level). He does not, at this point (mostly due to the injuries), have anything close to an NHL body. 

Fortunately the body can be trained to get it to NHL standards. Hoping he can do it soon. 

• Cheers 2

On 5/3/2020 at 12:39 PM, DeNiro said:

I would hope a 28 year old who has played more than 100 games in the NHL would look better than a 21 year old with no NHL experience.

That doesn’t really mean much though. Biega would probably look better than some of our best D prospects, does that mean he’s always going to be a better player? Not likely.

The problems for Juolevi are fundamental and tied to his health. He struggles on his pivots - especially to the left and his acceleration from a standing start is not good - both are critically important for a D. Those are not problems for Rafferty or Brisebois, and neither of those were issues for Tryamkin either. As I have maintained from the beginning, Juolevi has to get healthier before we can even judge what we have. Those deficiencies of Juolevi are not age related - it doesn’t matter if he is 22 or 26, if a D struggles to pivot or a make a quick first three steps, he is going to be hard-pressed to flourish in the NHL. If better fitness for him can be attained through recovery, training and work on his skating, fine, I’d love to see it.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I actually hope he out performs both Benn and Fantanberg for the 3rd pairing LD position in this year's Play-in/playoffs and make his NHL debut. As good as Hughes is, I think we need another puck mover who can transition the puck out of the d-zone smoothly and safely, Olli could be the guy and this could be a great experience for him.

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I actually hope he out performs both Benn and Fantanberg for the 3rd pairing LD position in this year's Play-in/playoffs and make his NHL debut. As good as Hughes is, I think we need another puck mover who can transition the puck out of the d-zone smoothly and safely, Olli could be the guy and this could be a great experience for him.

A lot depends on trust from Green. Competition is always good. Maybe the point that he has matured on and off the ice might be the magic elixir missing from his O/A game. Many NHL playersare gym nuts but 4-5 times a week doesn't sound like OJ is a gym rat.

57 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

A lot depends on trust from Green. Competition is always good. Maybe the point that he has matured on and off the ice might be the magic elixir missing from his O/A game. Many NHL playersare gym nuts but 4-5 times a week doesn't sound like OJ is a gym rat.

Depends how you work out. 4-5 times a week can be a lot and if you're trying to build muscle you need time off to recover. Also he has personal trainers at his disposal which puts him at an advantage over the average joe.

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Depends how you work out. 4-5 times a week can be a lot and if you're trying to build muscle you need time off to recover. Also he has personal trainers at his disposal which puts him at an advantage over the average joe.

News flash … he's not competing with the average Joe

• Wat 1

he has matured on and off the ice.

He was the Fortnite bandit wasn't he?  Otherwise why add mature off the ice - aside from Fortnite no one said a peep about OJ's maturity level.  

41 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

News flash … he's not competing with the average Joe

Thanks captain obvious. Probably should step up his work out game and go everyday twice a day. No need for recovery days to build muscle or strength after 2 years of major injuries right?

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1