The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

1 hour ago, shad0w4life said:

Jv? He's been on for so many goals against....

So all of these goals against are simply because he's on the ice? 1 player out of 6? I thought this was a team sport...

it's not like we were destined to have great defense this year either. Maybe a little improved but not great, yet you want to blame a forward for goals against? Sure, he can be a part of it but maybe try and be a little more realistic about it rather than lazily throwing around some random stat? If you can prove JV's a poor player than do it. I'll listen. Seriously, but you need to actually prove it and not just give me 1 sentence in order to pretend you know what you're talking about.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/1/2019 at 1:55 PM, -AJ- said:

Not as many as Bo.

What a terrible captain we have....

/s

Bo ice time 578 minutes

JV the second coming of McDavid 337

Also seems like Bo started seeing his +\- go down much like EPs did when JV was on his line.

Not sure why he gets a free pass but JV is probably the  most overrated player on the team. He's not putting up points and that's what he was drafted for

11 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

Bo ice time 578 minutes

JV the second coming of McDavid 337

Also seems like Bo started seeing his +\- go down much like EPs did when JV was on his line.

Not sure why he gets a free pass but JV is probably the  most overrated player on the team. He's not putting up points and that's what he was drafted for

JV was drafted to be McDavid?  Bo is great.  JB is playing really well now. 

Edited by Alflives

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 12:12 PM, 5Fivehole0 said:

How the hell is a guy like Goldy suppose to show his worth when he gets 8 minutes

He is supposed to play in those eight minutes in a way that shows he deserves more minutes. There are a lot of holes in Goldobin’s defensive game, and in his less than enthusiastic forecheck, let alone terrible giveaways and poor judgement in regard to offensive risks taken.  He has gradually improved his all around game in Utica, but he has a long way to go to regain Green’s trust.  Green gave him many opportunities - hell, he really needed Goldobin to succeed, but it was just not happening. Offensively, he is an effective AHL player, but he still struggles with the above mentioned issue in Utica- but in fairness to Goldy, at least now he makes an effort at puck recovery or back-checking when he screws up. Another of Green’s issues with Goldy is, in my opinion, okay you did the things I want from two games ago, but not in the last game, how can he be trusted until he does the right things every game?

Edited by Ray_Cathode
Spelling
  • Cheers 1

from December 11, 2019 Sport-Express

CSKA (Moscow) show some interest in Vegas forward Valentin Zykov and Vancouver forward Nikolay Goldobin. 

"Currently we are interesting in two forwards -Zykov and Goldobin" according to president of CSKA Igor Esmantovich.

24 year old Zykov played 8 games this year in NHL and have 2 assists, 24 year old Goldobin played only one game . 

Watching NG last night and honestly, he will never play in the NHL again.  He had so many scoring chances last night and flubbed all of them.  Nothing personal, I just don't see him even remotely able to battle on the defensive side of the puck.  If he wants to go to Russia just let him go.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Watching NG last night and honestly, he will never play in the NHL again.  He had so many scoring chances last night and flubbed all of them.  Nothing personal, I just don't see him even remotely able to battle on the defensive side of the puck.  If he wants to go to Russia just let him go.

Yes, but if he could do anything to help the Comets make a long(er) run in playoffs, that would be more than enough reason for the Canucks to keep him until his contract expires.  Playoff experience like that is invaluable to our prospects.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Yes, but if he could do anything to help the Comets make a long(er) run in playoffs, that would be more than enough reason for the Canucks to keep him until his contract expires.  Playoff experience like that is invaluable to our prospects.

The only way he won't be there is if Benning gets an offer. Goldy is playing for more options to his career. He isn't going to bump anyone from the current Van roster. He will be moving at some point. Same as Baer. Good seasons and a playoff run helps their careers. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• 1 month later...

BUMP

Goldobin showing some moves last game. 

I think Goldobin has handles the whole situation of getting cut really well. He's seen an example up close and personal of going back to Russia and still decided to stick it out here. That takes character and shows his desire to play in the NHL. He's really helped Utica out as one of their best players this year. 

There were reports that Goldobin has added more defensive responsibility and urgency to his game, which are the main things he needed to get back to the NHL. I'm not sure if he's improved in those areas to the degree he needs to, but he's on the right track. 

Unfortunately, I don't think the vision that Green and Benning have for this team includes Goldobin. I would like to qualify him at the end of the year so he can play in Utica for us next year, but the best thing for him might be to look for a NHL spot elsewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I really like that kid. He’s stuck it out big time, didn’t mope from what I can tell. Really wants to be in the NHL. Gotta think someone will trade a pick for him in the offseason. Maybe, maybe not. But I do wish him the best. Always wanted him to make it as a Canuck

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

I really like that kid. He’s stuck it out big time, didn’t mope from what I can tell. Really wants to be in the NHL. Gotta think someone will trade a pick for him in the offseason. Maybe, maybe not. But I do wish him the best. Always wanted him to make it as a Canuck

In the offseason they may just get him for free, if Benning decides not to resign him.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

In the offseason they may just get him for free, if Benning decides not to resign him.

I see him re-signing Goldy and/or Boucher for Utica/depth. Both are RFA's.

Maybe not both for cap reasons but I can see one.

• Cheers 1

I think Goldy gets another shot at training camp.
He could be traded this summer, but a full year in Utica to really dig deep and play the way the Canucks want him too could end up being a great situation for him.

He's not a bad player, just seemingly lacked the maturity to develop a full NHL game.

I sincerely hope he makes it back up here.

• Cheers 1

According to TSN today, Ottawa almost traded for Goldy. Not sure what happened - Benning would be better off getting at least something for a player who doesn't seem to be in our plans.

As far as how Goldy has handled himself - all class. I want this kid to succeed... even if it isn't with us.

Edited by kloubek
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

According to TSN today, Ottawa almost traded for Goldy. Not sure what happened - Benning would be better off getting at least something for a player who doesn't seem to be in our plans.

As far as how Goldy has handled himself - all class. I want this kid to succeed... even if it isn't with us.

According to Rick Dhaliwal of The Athletic, the Ottawa Senators were "close" to a deal to acquire  from the Vancouver Canucks before claiming 

off waivers ahead of last week's trade deadline.

Dhaliwal reports two-to-three teams were interested in Goldobin, who has appeared in just one game with the Canucks this season. The Russian winger, however, is just off a point-per-game pace with the AHL's Utica Comets this season, posting 19 goals and 30 assists in 50 games.

Goldobin, scheduled for restricted free agency in July, appeared in 63 games with the Canucks last season, registering seven goals and a career-high 37 points. A first-round pick of the San Jose Sharks in 2014, Goldobin was acquired by Vancouver in 2017 in a deal that saw

traded to the Sharks.

Dhaliwal cites a source stating the 24-year-old "absolutely will try the NHL again next year," rather than making a move to Europe.

The Senators, who claimed Hawryluk off waivers from the Florida Panthers on Feb. 17, made four trades at the deadline, shipping out ,  and

from their NHL roster. 

Hawryluk, 24, has appeared in six games with Ottawa, posting three assists. He had one goal and three points in 15 games with the Panthers prior to be moving moved. He is also scheduled to become a restricted free agent in July.

Can't imagine what they would have been offering?  One of their 50+ picks in this year's draft maybe? 

Unless it was a higher pick, I think Goldy is more valuable in Utica right now helping them go as far as possible and getting our prospects valuable p/o experience this year and serving as a call-up if/when necessary. 

Edited by Fanuck
Added Article
  • Cheers 1

I think the most we can take from this rumour is that it's good that we are talking with Ottawa. They should have some cap room and could possibly be a destination for us to unload some cap. Maybe Baertschi would be of interest to them with only one year left on his contract. If Goldy could be the sweetener, then even better.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think the most we can take from this rumour is that it's good that we are talking with Ottawa. They should have some cap room and could possibly be a destination for us to unload some cap. Maybe Baertschi would be of interest to them with only one year left on his contract. If Goldy could be the sweetener, then even better.

Ottawa has 36+ mil in cap space with about a dozen guys coming off the roster. Heck I'd be happy with Goldy and Sutter for a 4th.