The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

13 minutes ago, MaxLapierreAwesomeFace said:

He was just on Instagram Live and someone commented "don't go to KHL".

Goldobin chuckled and said anything can happen, that's life. 

Someone asked if he keeps in contact with Tryamkin, Goldy said yes.

Someone tells him to tell Tryamkin to come back, Goldy said "hahaha don't think so, not for 2-3 years" (or something like that) 

Cool to see him interacting with fans :)

Didn't deny the possibility of going to the KHL....

Keeps in contact with "the defector"....

Eep :o

23 minutes ago, MaxLapierreAwesomeFace said:

He was just on Instagram Live and someone commented "don't go to KHL".

Goldobin chuckled and said anything can happen, that's life. 

Someone asked if he keeps in contact with Tryamkin, Goldy said yes.

Someone tells him to tell Tryamkin to come back, Goldy said "hahaha don't think so, not for 2-3 years" (or something like that) 

Cool to see him interacting with fans :)

That's cool.

I suspect the plan for Goldobin is this -- have him play big minutes in the AHL until Vanek is dealt. Once Vanek is dealt, he'll slot into Vanek's role to end the season. Next season, he'll be waiver eligible (so we can't sneak him in Utica) and that's when he'll get NHL minutes. There'll be more roster spots open next year (Sedins spots + Vanek's + Burmistrov) so he'll likely secure one of those spots.

He's been asked to work on his game away from the puck and I hope he shows some results because offensively, he's very tantalizing.

Also, it would be great to see Nikita in a Canucks uniform in 2 years as opposed to 3 (so that would mean he's back before the lockout) but hard to know, Nikita seems happy in Russia but I wonder if the new coach + better team + better money ends up swaying Nikita to come back sooner than planned.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Quantum said:

That's cool.

I suspect the plan for Goldobin is this -- have him play big minutes in the AHL until Vanek is dealt. Once Vanek is dealt, he'll slot into Vanek's role to end the season. Next season, he'll be waiver eligible (so we can't sneak him in Utica) and that's when he'll get NHL minutes. There'll be more roster spots open next year (Sedins spots + Vanek's + Burmistrov) so he'll likely secure one of those spots.

He's been asked to work on his game away from the puck and I hope he shows some results because offensively, he's very tantalizing.

Also, it would be great to see Nikita in a Canucks uniform in 2 years as opposed to 3 (so that would mean he's back before the lockout) but hard to know, Nikita seems happy in Russia but I wonder if the new coach + better team + better money ends up swaying Nikita to come back sooner than planned.

Sounds right to me....

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Didn't deny the possibility of going to the KHL....

Keeps in contact with "the defector"....

Eep :o

Not denying the possibility of going to the KHL I would see as just choosing to not throw away negotiating leverage with the Canucks. Keeping in contact with "the defector" I see as a big plus, increasing the chances of getting Tram back here. Not sure what you're "eeping" about.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Not denying the possibility of going to the KHL I would see as just choosing to not throw away negotiating leverage with the Canucks. Keeping in contact with "the defector" I see as a big plus, increasing the chances of getting Tram back here. Not sure what you're "eeping" about.

wouldn't be surprised if Goldy inevitably goes back to Russia to play in the KHL. I hope he doesn't, but just saying it wouldn't surprise me. This is why so many NHL teams resist taking Russians so early, cause there's always a chance that they go back to the KHL. but if they're not good enough, they ain't good enough. 

I hope Goldobin gets a chance sometime this year, see if his defensive play away from the puck has gotten better and has improved. I'd be interested to hear from Utica fans whether he's improved with his respect to his play away from the puck. 

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

wouldn't be surprised if Goldy inevitably goes back to Russia to play in the KHL. I hope he doesn't, but just saying it wouldn't surprise me. This is why so many NHL teams resist taking Russians so early, cause there's always a chance that they go back to the KHL. but if they're not good enough, they ain't good enough. 

I hope Goldobin gets a chance sometime this year, see if his defensive play away from the puck has gotten better and has improved. I'd be interested to hear from Utica fans whether he's improved with his respect to his play away from the puck. 

I season in the last 7 where Goldobin played a season in Finland. 2 seasons of OHL hockey. The odds of him opting for the KHL will only go up if his dream of the NHL starts to fade. My hope is that the Canucks start sitting some of their fading vets and have prospects get a few games. It likely happens anyway with injury but I would hope there is a more calculated plan. 

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I dunno, a lot more Russians are starting to move to the CHL earlier for exposure now. So I think we are seeing a bit of a cultural shift as far as Russians bouncing back to Russia. Goldy was drafted outta the CHL and seems to be paying his dues in the AHL. And maybe seeing Jake work his tail off in the AHL might have some other young guys saying "I'll get my chance if I put in the work". Of course if it seems like he isn't getting close he may just leave but that would likely mean he isn't developing anyway so no harm no foul. 

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I season in the last 7 where Goldobin played a season in Finland. 2 seasons of OHL hockey. The odds of him opting for the KHL will only go up if his dream of the NHL starts to fade. My hope is that the Canucks start sitting some of their fading vets and have prospects get a few games. It likely happens anyway with injury but I would hope there is a more calculated plan. 

Absolutely 100% agree!!!!  Goldy should be up sooner, rather than later.  Maybe he could give Daniel/ Gagner/Burmistrov breaks for a few games on the coming road trip?  The team will be back east, so it should be able to work.  

51 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Between him and Cull, sounds like Goldy's in good hands.

Agreed, excellent comments coming out of Utica. I would hope that people would see that he simply wasn't NHL ready yet...and there's nothing wrong with that. He's developing exactly where he should be and can hopefully get himself in a good position to come up here later this year and STAY up here when he's actually ready.

2 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Next season

Baertchi Horvat Boeser 

Goldobin Burmistrov VIrtanen 

Granlund Sutter Dorset 

Eriksson Gaudette Gagner 

I like your lineup, but don't be surprised to see Daniel and Henrik back for one more season, and if they will sign for 3 - 3.5 each, I think they still bring a lot of experience to a fairly young core.

Also, don't be surprised to see JB make a big push to get Evander Kane here in free agency, we've been too active in general discussions. If we go after him, I expect Kane to cost about 6 - 6.5 million per, 6 year term.

If both these things happen, next year is going to be a really interesting training camp with Pettersson, Dahlen, Goldobin, Burmistrov, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich and Juolevi, all fighting for roster positions and making decisions difficult for Green and JB.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I like your lineup, but don't be surprised to see Daniel and Henrik back for one more season, and if they will sign for 3 - 3.5 each, I think they still bring a lot of experience to a fairly young core.

Also, don't be surprised to see JB make a big push to get Evander Kane here in free agency, we've been too active in general discussions. If we go after him, I expect Kane to cost about 6 - 6.5 million per, 6 year term.

If both these things happen, next year is going to be a really interesting training camp with Pettersson, Dahlen, Goldobin, Burmistrov, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich and Juolevi, all fighting for roster positions and making decisions difficult for Green and JB.

I disagree. The Sedin's are done after this year unless they start playing a hell of a lot better. They have not looked good this year at all. They show some glimpses of their old selves but they're mainly a liability out there.

16 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Next season

Baertchi Horvat Boeser 

Goldobin Burmistrov VIrtanen 

Granlund Sutter Dorset 

Eriksson Gaudette Gagner 

I like this line up a lot. One change could be if Gaunce has a good year, I wouldn’t be surprised to see JB ship Dorset out and replace his role with gaunce. Gaunce won’t drop the gloves like Dorset, but he can’t play that crash and bang shut down role

23 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

I like this line up a lot. One change could be if Gaunce has a good year, I wouldn’t be surprised to see JB ship Dorset out and replace his role with gaunce. Gaunce won’t drop the gloves like Dorset, but he can’t play that crash and bang shut down role

We must be thinking of different Gaunces...

Edited by 73 Percent

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

We must be thinking of different Gaunces...

Yeah I agree.  Gaunce is strong on his skates, but doesn't use his size how he should.  Certainly doesn't hit anywhere close to the level of Dorsett.   Really, I see Burmistrov as being the guy out when Gaunce comes back.  Not because he's been horrible, but Gaunce needs to play.  If I was coach though, I'd keep Gaunce in Utica for 10 games or so, or less if there is an injury and he could be called up.

As far as the Sedins are concerned - if we have room for them (to which I am unsure) I would be ok with them signing another year, but not at 3-3.5.  And really, they've made so much money in their career if they did re-sign, I could see them doing it for peanuts just to remain in a mentor role and to show their loyalty to the team once again. With that said, I totally expect them to retire.  With the amount of ice time they are getting and the reduced role, I don't think they have any bad feelings about it but I bet it is weighing on them heavily that they just aren't the same out there and just aren't as engaged. Prior to signing I know there was speculation they wanted to go back to Sweden so I'm sure that's still something that is coming up now more than ever for them.

16 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I like your lineup, but don't be surprised to see Daniel and Henrik back for one more season, and if they will sign for 3 - 3.5 each,

Just don't see it happening. This year's the retirement tour IMO.

• Upvote 2