The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I never realized until tonight that McCann score 1 goal more than EP, yep he scored 40 goals last season. Anyway we did get Gudbranson, oh wait  :sadno:

Thank you JB

Personally, I don't think there's likely a world where he would've seen the success he's had if he had stayed in Vancouver. He was showing some signs of life, but wasn't look a whole lot better than Gaudette did while he was here. Crazy how one turned out and the other didn't.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Personally, I don't think there's likely a world where he would've seen the success he's had if he had stayed in Vancouver. He was showing some signs of life, but wasn't look a whole lot better than Gaudette did while he was here. Crazy how one turned out and the other didn't.

He was 19 years old. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

He was 19 years old. 

McCann and Virtanen were both rushed into the NHL long before either were ready. Personally, I am glad to see the change in philosophy with the new management team and their desire to fully develop them in the AHL or SHL as the case may be.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

McCann and Virtanen were both rushed into the NHL long before either were ready. Personally, I am glad to see the change in philosophy with the new management team and their desire to fully develop them in the AHL or SHL as the case may be.

No surprise we had nobody develop outside of goalies on the farm.  Revamping the scouting system was an VERY important accomplishment by the Jim Benning management team.  Sorely needed as it was needlessly ignored by Gillis.  What Benning failed to do (and failed HORRIBLY) was show the same lack of attention that Gillis gave to the poor scouting department to the farm club.  Drafting well is only one half the equation.  The other half is development.

Extends to the parent club head coach hirings.  Not all players are like Hughes who can develop in spite of whoever is behind the bench.  EP was looking TOTALLY lost under Travis Green.  That's *ALL* on Jim Benning.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2023 at 4:54 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

I think Virtanen would have failed on any team with any development, but McCann showed so much promise. Looking back, I thought Cody Hodgson was destined for greatness and obviously his attitude got in the way. Another guy we gave up on quite quickly was Grabner, he was a flash in the pan sort of guy but drops 34G the season we trade him, and had a few 20+ goal seasons around. We give up on these guys way too soon in the hope to trade them for a quick fix.

Now we're in the same position with Hoglander, Rathbone and Podkolzin. They're so close to being developed properly, let's hope we don't give up on them and trade them. We've just had far too many guys on the fringe of the NHL traded (because we often don't have space for them or haven't made space for them) and they go off to have great careers elsewhere. Forsling and Chatfield are other great examples of guys we just sent away because we didn't develop them properly or didn't want to make room for them.

New management have done a great job of connecting the AHL to the NHL, but the next step is working these guys into the lineup. I think Tocchet is the right guy for this - he's done really well with PDG, but how he works Rathbone into a stacked LD side after acquiring Hirose, or getting Hoglander in amongst an inflated bunch of expensive wingers, will be tricky for sure, and he'll need help from management.

This is where in the past we've just traded them for a veteran or pick, but I'm hoping new management give up on the veteran this time (eg. trade Garland or Beauvillier) and let the younger wingers we've drafted and developed ourselves grow into the roll (eg. Hoglander and Podkolzin).

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Now we're in the same position with Hoglander, Rathbone and Podkolzin.

Both Hogy and Rabo are not longer waiver exempt so decisions will have to be made on their futures with Canucks. Personally; I think Hogy makes the team in the fall as well as Pods but Rabo has a much greater likely hood of either being traded or they may have to risk waiving him and hope he does not get claimed. Unfortunately for Jack, Wolanin may have passed him on the depth chart and Hirose is knocking on the door as well.

4 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Both Hogy and Rabo are not longer waiver exempt so decisions will have to be made on their futures with Canucks. Personally; I think Hogy makes the team in the fall as well as Pods but Rabo has a much greater likely hood of either being traded or they may have to risk waiving him and hope he does not get claimed. Unfortunately for Jack, Wolanin may have passed him on the depth chart and Hirose is knocking on the door as well.

I think this is the problem we have every time around, we have so many plugs in our lineup already that we have no space for the kids, and then they become waiver eligible and we are forced into trading the young kid as opposed to moving the rubbish out of our lineup. 

At wing, we have to make room. It frees up cap, it might even snag us a 3C, but most importantly, we have young guys who can do the job of the other guys for a quarter of the cap hit. Beauvillier and Garland aren't quite old or pylons, but they're not worth 9M of cap space. Hoglander and Podkolzin can come in for 2M and pretty much do the same job (if not better as they improve, whereas I think we've seen Beau and Garland's ceiling).

On defence, it's a bit trickier. I prefer Wolanin over a lot of the guys we already have and think he deserves more of a chance. Hirose was pretty slick too, acquiring him was a real slap to Rathbone's face. He's not tearing the AHL apart and struggles defensively to be fair, but we're not making it an easy transition for him now either. I have no problem going with Hughes, OEL and Hirose at LD, and sitting Jack in the press-box most nights and going on a rotation on the bottom pairing. Personally I'd hope we could acquire a sturdy defensive top-4 defenceman but that really pushes him back. 

In any case, we have to make room to let the kids have a chance, we can't just expect them to beat out veteran NHLers right off the bat, get disappointed when they don't and then trade them. That's what's happened with all these guys in the past and they've gone on to have great careers. 

• Cheers 1

On 5/25/2023 at 3:16 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think Virtanen would have failed on any team with any development, but McCann showed so much promise. Looking back, I thought Cody Hodgson was destined for greatness and obviously his attitude got in the way. Another guy we gave up on quite quickly was Grabner, he was a flash in the pan sort of guy but drops 34G the season we trade him, and had a few 20+ goal seasons around. We give up on these guys way too soon in the hope to trade them for a quick fix.

Now we're in the same position with Hoglander, Rathbone and Podkolzin. They're so close to being developed properly, let's hope we don't give up on them and trade them. We've just had far too many guys on the fringe of the NHL traded (because we often don't have space for them or haven't made space for them) and they go off to have great careers elsewhere. Forsling and Chatfield are other great examples of guys we just sent away because we didn't develop them properly or didn't want to make room for them.

New management have done a great job of connecting the AHL to the NHL, but the next step is working these guys into the lineup. I think Tocchet is the right guy for this - he's done really well with PDG, but how he works Rathbone into a stacked LD side after acquiring Hirose, or getting Hoglander in amongst an inflated bunch of expensive wingers, will be tricky for sure, and he'll need help from management.

This is where in the past we've just traded them for a veteran or pick, but I'm hoping new management give up on the veteran this time (eg. trade Garland or Beauvillier) and let the younger wingers we've drafted and developed ourselves grow into the roll (eg. Hoglander and Podkolzin).

Grabner was waiver elligible when traded from a contender. That's not giving up early, that's running out of time. In Florida he continued his annual tradition of not showing up to camp ready to compete and was claimed off waivers after being cut. Exactly what would have happened here. Would you have preferred losing him for nothing like Florida? There are always bad teams willing to roll the dice on borderline players they can pick up for free.

McCann wasn't given up on at all. We traded a young forward for for a big young d-man. You have to give something the other teams wants to get what you want. Being traded doesn't automatically default to giving up on a player. It was just a trade to fill a need. Did Florida, Pittsburgh, and Toronto "give up" on McCann as well?

Rathbone and Hoglander are waiver elligible this fall. Like Grabner, if they fail to make the team they are highly likely be claimed off waivers. Trading a waiver elligible player isn't giving up too early, it's avoiding losing them for nothing. Those are players that took too long to get to where they need to be. All prospects have a waiver time limit. I don't think either of those two will clear waivers. I fully expect Rathbone to be moved as I don't see him making the team in the fall. Simply put - we have better options. Depending on forward moves in the offseason, Hogs will likely get the preseason to determine his fate. Waivers prevent you from keeping a player forever on the off chance they become something eventually. I do believe both will be NHL players, but you can't simply ignore waiver elligibilty. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

And to think he's only going to get better. I know Tocchet has stated that he wants to use his stars LESS on the PK but that stat is hard to ignore. Not only does he excel on the defensive side on the PK but he's also a threat to score each time he's out there.

1 hour ago, 250Integra said:

And to think he's only going to get better. I know Tocchet has stated that he wants to use his stars LESS on the PK but that stat is hard to ignore. Not only does he excel on the defensive side on the PK but he's also a threat to score each time he's out there.

He may have stated that, but Petey's PK TOI% actually went slightly up under Tocchet.

27 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

He may have stated that, but Petey's PK TOI% actually went slightly up under Tocchet.

I think that was largely due to not having many other options. Bringing in Blueger should help lower Petey's PK time. I still like the idea of Petey playing at least some PK though as his counterattack ability and short-handed goalscoring threat forces other teams' power plays to play more timidly.

30 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I think that was largely due to not having many other options. Bringing in Blueger should help lower Petey's PK time. I still like the idea of Petey playing at least some PK though as his counterattack ability and short-handed goalscoring threat forces other teams' power plays to play more timidly.

Indeed, Blueger will likely be the PK1 guy, but I'd love Petey as the PK2 guy, perhaps with Miller, as long as Miller puts in the effort.

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Indeed, Blueger will likely be the PK1 guy, but I'd love Petey as the PK2 guy, perhaps with Miller, as long as Miller puts in the effort.

Blueger and Mikheyev.  It needs to work or else kiss our PK hopes goodbye.

Not re-signing Pettersson before October is going to be a big mistake.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw
  • Upvote 1