The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, ForzaTikare said:

Seems about right :)  Nothing big Missed and nothing exagerrated

This is what Peter Forsberg is saying 

"Elias is doing things at the ice what just a few in the history can, i dont know what he isnt in the olympics but maybe the team sweden GM thinks he doesnt have the physics to play against some of the best players in the world"

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/P3oByb/foppas-hyllning-till-stortalangen

Foppa! 

On 2/7/2018 at 3:05 PM, stawns said:

I would normally agree with you, but I'm seeing the same trend in the playoffs as I do in the reg season.  Little to no body contact and a much lower intensity than there used to be.  Sucks for fans of what hockey used to be, great for guys like EP and all the other little guys that seem to be dominating these days.

We heard that one before then 2011 happened 

Edited by TimberWolf

20 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Generally I'd agree with you, but watching Anaheim the past couple rounds in the post-season tells me there is still some 'old-school' hockey to be played if you have both the coach and personnel to do so.  They have absolutely no problem making the other team pay a price (both the clean way and the questionable way) to get a win out of them in the playoffs.  Is this style of play trending down as the kids say - probably, but it's not completely dead yet. 

The Oilers had a pretty physical run last year as well. 

On 07/02/2018 at 10:11 AM, aGENT said:

*On top of Horvat and Boeser.

FWIW, most teams don't have six, legit 'top 6' players in their top 6. Damn near impossible to find/acquire and even harder to fit under the cap.

They generally have 4+/- legit, play driving, top 6 guys and a couple good, hard working, complimentary 'middle 6' guys on their top lines.

I agree, and its also about chemistry. Sometimes really skilled guys play better when they have a hard working crash and bang type player who can create room for them to do their thing, so chemistry can play a big part when forming lines. Sometimes players look good on paper but when you try them in real life they don't work out. Maybe Pettersson takes our top line and Boeser goes on line 2. 

Pettersson Horvat Lind

Dahlin Gaudette Boeser 

Edited by kenhodgejr

On 2018-02-08 at 8:41 AM, ForzaTikare said:

Seems about right :)  Nothing big Missed and nothing exagerrated

This is what Peter Forsberg is saying 

"Elias is doing things at the ice what just a few in the history can, i dont know what he isnt in the olympics but maybe the team sweden GM thinks he doesnt have the physics to play against some of the best players in the world"

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/P3oByb/foppas-hyllning-till-stortalangen

Really awesome to see recognition from the man the legend himself - and I like how he addressed the olympics too

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Only elite, not franchise?! Time to go back to the bunker and lay low in the basement for the next five years.

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Only franchise, not generational?! Some Canucks fan you are. This is Elias MF Pettersson we’re talking about! ;) 

Elite and franchise can be the same thing. However, Pettersson won't be a generational player but who knows??Gilbert Perrault, Peter Stastny, Steve Yzerman and Joe Sakic weren't generational players like Gretzky and Lemieux but they were definitely franchise players. Wouldn't surprise me seeing Pettersson developing into one. 

The only prospects in Canucks history buttons ever really praised from my memory are:

Boeser

Demko

Gaudette

EP

so far he's 1/4 and looking like 4/4 of all 4 being impact players for us.

Edited by R3aL

Just now, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

The more experience he gets at wing the better for his long term development and his likely deployment with us for starters next year...

EP / Bo / BB or vica winger's is what I'm thinking to start ( or as close too the start as BB came this year...Greener's shenanigans...)

I don't see it that way at all.

• Upvote 2

@Rollieo Del Fuego, brought this over from the Lind thread. Because it was worth commenting on here!

The big difference between Hischier & Petterson (my observation) is the all out speed NH has to offer.  Its game breaking! Which includes making plays at speed. EP is not there...  

But a substantial number of smaller differences go to EP? They probably share vision and game sense offensively?  As good as NH is, EP has the dangle. A better shot? Physical traits like reach! Inexhaustible endurance. A motor he uses to play passing lanes, hawk pucks, check, back check, fore-check. I'm essentially suggesting he's the better 2 way / defensive player, EP?

And its worth mentioning that, while NH has that ability to break teams with his play at pace, EP has that magical ability to slow a game down. He has no problem handling a puck under pressure, he's evasive, protects the puck, holds people off with his balance & reach, then makes plays as they open when guys cannot handle his dangles and ability to hold guys off...  

Very Sedin like, even more so?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

@Rollieo Del Fuego, brought this over from the Lind thread. Because it was worth commenting on here!

The big difference between Hischier & Petterson (my observation) is the all out speed NH has to offer.  Its game breaking! Which includes making plays at speed. EP is not there...  

But a substantial number of smaller differences go to EP? They probably share vision and game sense offensively?  As good as NH is, EP has the dangle. A better shot? Physical traits like reach! Inexhaustible endurance. A motor he uses to play passing lanes, hawk pucks, check, back check, fore-check. I'm essentially suggesting he's the better 2 way / defensive player, EP?

And its worth mentioning that, while NH has that ability to break teams with his play at pace, EP has that magical ability to slow a game down. He has no problem handling a puck under pressure, he's evasive, protects the puck, holds people off with his balance & reach, then makes plays as they open when guys cannot handle his dangles and ability to hold guys off...  

Very Sedin like, even more so?

That's pretty much the way I see it...thanks for posting that.

I do think EP's straight ahead speed is above average...it's his edge-work and core-strength/balance that needs the work....5 more Lbs. of muscle with half of that in his stomach...and he should be good to compete for the Calder...same as BB this year.