The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why do you watch?

Makaramel MacKhiato

Tuning in  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not entirely sure anymore.

The last few years haven't been particularly entertaining, for me anyway. To watch or listen on the radio has actually been rather frustrating over that time frame because personally I haven't understood what the team's end goal is. I hate to say it but I haven't seen and dont see now a Stanley Cup contender in the making...I do hope to be wrong about that someday though.

We've had a fairly dull veteran laden team now for quite some time with mostly unexceptional prospects sprinkled in here and there and the odd reclamation project, which doesn't score much, doesn't defend particularly well, and hasn't been coached very well either. Like, what are the Vancouver Canucks aiming for in the long run? Clearly it isn't the cup. They dont want to tank to stockpile assets, even though they've been terrible anyway - they're not getting much benefit from that. Even though they're right against the cap every year they're incapable of icing a squad which can even play an entertaining game; let's be honest, for the most part they're boring. They lose regularly and they're boring when they do it.

What all this says to me is that this team's end goal at least for now is to try to be a playoff team, most likely a wild card. As if that is satisfactory. To every year pray for health and try to scratch and claw and bore their way into a playoff position. What will that result in? A quick knockout and a middling draft position most likely. If that's the goal obviously it hasn't worked out so far but I think the guys in the office would be satisfied with that if it did. To me that's not interesting, especially for a team that's never won a cup and has only been beyond round 2 of the playoffs three times in 47 years. I dont understand that, if that is in fact the mindset.

The short answer is I really enjoy the game of hockey and I watch all the NHL games I can. I've rooted for the Canucks for almost 30 years because my late grandmother turned me on to the team when I was a little kid, and despite my discontent for them over the last while I've put in too much time now to ever quit. My hockey dream is to watch the Canucks win a Stanley Cup. I hope they can do it in my lifetime.

Boeser is one of those rare players that is exiting to watch. Why does Canucks management always do this to young guys. Are they afraid they might make a mistake ? Must they always try to impede their progress ? Is it that a young guy might out shine the old has beens ? If you have a player that was good in the pre season why sit him out the 1st 2 games. I was hoping we had enough of the Willy D kind of coaching but now I am not so sure.

Even though the Canucks have never won a Stanley Cup I still love that team.

When I was young I walked by a t.v.set and saw a game on and wondered what is this fantastic game.

To me it was and still is the best sport to play and watch, also there are very very few of us that don't just love it when The Canucks or Team Canada win.

Like when Crosby scored the golden goal in 2010,very exciting.

Just give the Canucks a chance at a Cup,one first overall picks in almost fifty years is not asking too much.Give us a level playing field and no, the commissioners son is playing for the other sides team.Then we just might have a chance to excite all of B.C. with our first Stanley Cup.

there was only 1 channel (cbc) up until about 1967. Saturday nite 5 oclock that's all there was. bugs bunny at 4pm then hockey if it wasn't for that.I might not have become hockey crazed and then they built the arena 1970 ,and that was my peewee year. nothing else mattered .NOTHING!!!  6 am practice's a couple of us knew the janitor at the rink ,he would let us in early. after school it was street hockey, organized floor hockey league, hockey cards  esso power play stamps.      hockey hockey hockey !!!!!!!       hockey.

3 hours ago, snucks said:

Boeser is one of those rare players that is exiting to watch. Why does Canucks management always do this to young guys. Are they afraid they might make a mistake ? Must they always try to impede their progress ? Is it that a young guy might out shine the old has beens ? If you have a player that was good in the pre season why sit him out the 1st 2 games. I was hoping we had enough of the Willy D kind of coaching but now I am not so sure.

Relax, i think the reason why he was scratched for the first 2 games was to kind of send him a message that he is still needs to be competitive and doesn't have the luxury of taking nights off. He wasn't that great in the last couple of games in the preseason. I noticed Virtanen got better the last couple of preseason games while Boeser got worse so they are sending the young players a message that you can only earn your spot if you are working hard at it consistently. Boeser will get the next game so there is nothing to worry about. Also I think against the Oilers, they did have to sit out a finesse player and have another checking player instead so the decision to sit out Boeser was two folds. 

Archived