The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning Mentality

Topcheeze86

So JB has not signed a new deal yet...

What are his next moves? 

With him thinkin of his unknown future 

will he sacrafice a prospect or 2 to stay in the pack to keep ownership on his side so he can live another day? 

Or will he run the course potentially not having a job leaving his foundation of drafted and traded talent behind?

you gotta think if JB had a couple years left on his deal he would sit back and stack his picks flipping 1 vet at a time sticking to his future vision for this team 

but until a deal happens hes a wildcard As him and Linden collectively work side by side to each keep there jobs with the organization 

what are your thoughts 

He's already supposedly sold ownership on a full rebuild.  Shielding Benning from ownership meddling is a big part of Linden's job.

I highly doubt our ownership group is stupid enough to consider firing him now that they're starting to see the benefits of his moves.  They had to know better than anyone how bad of a mess Benning inherited.

6 minutes ago, Topcheeze86 said:

What are his next moves? 

will he sacrafice a prospect or 2 to stay in the pack to keep ownership on his side so he can live another day? 

Or will he run the course potentially not having a job leaving his foundation of drafted and traded talent behind?

you gotta think if JB had a couple years left on his deal he would sit back and stack his picks flipping 1 vet at a time sticking to his future vision for this team 

but until a deal happens hes a wildcard As him and Linden collectively work side by side to each keep there jobs with the organization 

what are your thoughts 

lmao!

13 minutes ago, Topcheeze86 said:

What are his next moves? 

what are your thoughts 

I don't think this is a concern to be honest - he's not going to 'sacrifice' the future for this season - has never been his m.o. and don't see that changing due to contract concerns.

Anything else imo would be a sign that ownership is running the team - and there have been no hints of that since the Tortorella era - something they specifically promised not to meddle in when they hired Linden and Benning was brought on board.

If he does move any futures, it will be for other young players that fit in the future plans of the team. 

If this team were to compete this year, it would be on the existing and returning players to mount a comeback - and that is a real steep uphill battle and gets moreso with every day that they don't have the handful of missing/injured roster players to lean on.  Don't see that happening tbh - I think you're realstically looking at a team that is and will continue to fall out of the playoff race over the next month or so, without enough time to climb back in.

I think he'll stick to the incremental approach - perhaps move one or two vets - and continue the transition.

36 minutes ago, Topcheeze86 said:

What are his next moves? 

what are your thoughts 

no-please-continue-to-complain-about-you

my guess is both sides have said that they want a renewal but they haven't nailed down a specific term yet so there isn't that much urgency and they are letting Jim do his job without major distractions. He's got a lot more things right than wrong and really hasn't left the team with any major issues, and his scouting has been so good you have to let him see things through for at least one or two more drafts.

1 minute ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

This is the best organization set up in years, from the President down.  Aquillini has already said he is confident in the job JB is doing.  

the idea that JB would trade away picks to save his job seems pretty ridiculous to me

Reminds me a lot of the Quinn era.  Probably not a co-incidence as Quinn was a mentor to Linden.

Honestly minus the things like not trading up vrbata and hamhuis for picks a few years ago i love what hes doing especially his eye for scouting especially when we dont even need #1 picks based on his diamond in the ruff drafting capabilities i agree they have probably talked about contract and i hope we can lock him up for at least 3 more seasons

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

He's already supposedly sold ownership on a full rebuild.  Shielding Benning from ownership meddling is a big part of Linden's job.

I highly doubt our ownership group is stupid enough to consider firing him now that they're starting to see the benefits of his moves.  They had to know better than anyone how bad of a mess Benning inherited.

46 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Anything else imo would be a sign that ownership is running the team - and there have been no hints of that since the Tortorella era - something they specifically promised not to meddle in when they hired Linden and Benning was brought on board.

I don't often agree with oldnews, but I have a similar question here.

Aquilini did a mea culpa on the hiring of Torts while Mike Gillis was GM, basically taking responsibility for that decision and correcting it with an expensive buyout. 

However, since Linden was hired I am not aware of any credible reports that Aquilini has "meddled". I have seen claims that Aquilini was the driving force behind drafting Virtanen (local interest), that he wants to sign Evander Kane (local interest, and has not happened), that he pressured Benning into pursuing a "win now" instead of a rebuild strategy for the first three years, and one or two other things.

But I have seen nothing that seems like genuine evidence of any of these claims. If anyone is aware of any convincing or even suggestive evidence (instead of just supposition) I would be very interested to see it.

Aquilini takes a fair amount of criticism on CDC and does not get a lot of support. Personally I think he has been an excellent owner. Not only does he spend to the cap (within approximation error) every year, but he spends a lot on non-cap expenses, including paying for a lot of guys in Utica on NHL salaries instead of AHL salaries. I have not been able to find AHL payrolls for this year, but Utica must be close to the highest. The Canucks (i.e. Aquilini) are also known to be generous on lots of other dimensions as well.

I have never heard him criticize a player publicly or put public pressure on management. And, considering that the Canucks had arguably the worst two-season performance in the NHL in the last two seasons despite being a cap team, he has been extremely supportive and patient.

Yes, I know he has a lot of money, but compared with other owners he looks pretty good to me.

2 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Aquilini did a mea culpa on the hiring of Torts while Mike Gillis was GM, basically taking responsibility for that decision and correcting it with an expensive buyout. 

However, since Linden was hired I am not aware of any credible reports that Aquilini has "meddled". I have seen claims that Aquilini was the driving force behind drafting Virtanen (local interest), that he wants to sign Evander Kane (local interest, and has not happened), that he pressured Benning into pursuing a "win now" instead of a rebuild strategy for the first three years, and one or two other things.

But I have seen nothing that seems like genuine evidence of any of these claims. If anyone is aware of any convincing or even suggestive evidence (instead of just supposition) I would be very interested to see it.

Aquilini takes a fair amount of criticism on CDC and does not get a lot of support. Personally I think he has been an excellent owner. Not only does he spend to the cap (within approximation error) every year, but he spends a lot on non-cap expenses, including paying for a lot of guys in Utica on NHL salaries instead of AHL salaries. I have not been able to find AHL payrolls for this year, but Utica must be close to the highest. The Canucks (i.e. Aquilini) are also known to be generous on lots of other dimensions as well.

I have never heard him criticize a player publicly or put public pressure on management. And, considering that the Canucks had arguably the worst two-season performance in the NHL in the last two seasons despite being a cap team, he has been extremely supportive and patient.

Yes, I know he has a lot of money, but compared with other owners he looks pretty good to me.

I don't know about Aquilini being an excellent owner, but at least we're not stuck with Melnyk! 

3 minutes ago, JamesB said:

On balance, we could do a lot worse.  Look at Melnyk to see what a truly terrible owner is like.  Especially like owning our own farm team.  I just think an extra layer between the owner and the GM makes it easier for the GM to do his job.

I still don't get how some fans and media members still think our management is inadequate.

I think it was yesterday, Tony Gallagher was saying that this is a poor management and calling the team a "hot steaming pile of poo" and how it's sad that a team with a 40 goal scorer isn't able to do better (guessing he thinks a rebuild is done with one player?) and that the team is going nowhere. Also, he talked about how the treatment of Rodin will affect players wanting to sign here because Rodin is gonna tell everyone about his experience and no player will want to come here... laughable lmao

This is the best management we've had in a long time and the best set of kids ever.

1 minute ago, MrCanuck94 said:

I still don't get how some fans and media members still think our management is inadequate.

I think it was yesterday, Tony Gallagher was saying that this is a poor management and calling the team a "hot steaming pile of poo" and how it's sad that a team with a 40 goal scorer isn't able to do better (guessing he thinks a rebuild is done with one player?) and that the team is going nowhere. Also, he talked about how the treatment of Rodin will affect players wanting to sign here because Rodin is gonna tell everyone about his experience and no player will want to come here... laughable lmao

This is the best management we've had in a long time and the best set of kids ever.

It’s the best set of kids for sure.  I think Rodin would only say nice things about our team.  He even got a contract for this current season, which was unexpected.  If there is concern it’s with the Russian players.  

The deal is going to get done. Even Aquilini cryptically alluded to it in a recent interview. No signs of displeasure with Benning.

Mission isn't accomplished from what Benning inherited. Imo, once the Sedins and Edler are gone, it's solely JB's team, only then can you accurately judge where Benning put the team post NTCs.

If this team isn't trending upwards in playoffs by the time all of the old core is completely gone, that would be justification for firing. 

Looks good with Boeser, Pettersson, Juolevi, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, Goldy, Demko ... 

These guys come into the lineup and we can't make the playoffs ... off with his head!!!

59 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

The Crypt Keeper is slowly consuming himself from the inside out.  He himself is a salty pile of poo.

1 hour ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Speaking of the steaming dung pile, when is that fool going to be run out of town.   He really doesn't have a clue and all he's good for is stirring the dung.

2 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Ugh Gallagher is the oldest crock thats only around still because Sportsnet swiped a bunch of other guys. The guy has no idea what he's talking about anymore, drives me up the bloody wall.  Rodin was injury prone after that knee injury.  The fact they even let him attempt a second year here where he clearly showed he had no place on the team eventhough they hoped he could be that SEL player a couple years previous. 

2 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

The whole Rodin affair has damaged Benning so badly that none of Nilsson, Vanek, MDZ, Gagner, Chatfield, MacEwen, Wiercioch..... were willing to sign here....:rolleyes:

Gallagher would get outsmarted by the average dinosaur.

Archived