The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

You seem to think Tampa's trade options were limited. This wasn't a Kesler scenario where they had one team to talk to. That's where the wheels fall off the "but they were cap strapped" theory. 

They traded a good player at a decent cap hit that any team in the league would love to have. No ntc in play to limit his movement, meaning every team could bid on him. Cap strapped or not they would have got full value for him. The bargain hunters would have been out of the trade talks quickly leaving teams serious about acquiring a good player. 

He's not the only top 6 player available on the market. We didn't have to make this trade. At the point the bid went this high they should have been out and looked elsewhere. Again, I hope this turns out well and that we are getting a legit top 6 guy that gels well with our team. His production doesn't scream top 6 but he was on a deep team and he produced at a better rate with the NYR. What's done is done hopefully it works out.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Fact of the matter is, JB is a bad trade evaluator as he was with this deal.

Except that's not a fact. At all. What if the pick Tampa gets is 12th and they draft the next Hugh Jessiman? What if it's 1st overall and they draft the next Patrik Stefan? 

Sorry but declaring a winner of this trade now is a fool’s game. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

It’s not an amazing deal like CDC is hyping it up to be, but it’s not a bad deal either. Looking at the Subban trade and looking at this, just doesn’t look good.

I can see us making the Playoffs in 2021 though.

A 9m cap hit with 3 years remaining (including a ntc) is tougher to move when the player is 30 and coming off a year that didn't come close to living up to the deal. Miller on the other hand is just entering his prime and his deal could prove to be a bargain in our top six.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Generational.EP40 said:

I love the player.

It doesn’t mean I want my team paying an unreasonable price for said player. If that’s the case, I like Marner. Let’s give Toronto 5 1st round picks for him lol.

See what I mean? It’s okay to like the player but not like the trade value we gave up :) 

Don’t you think it’s time for our young core to have truly good support players, and have the best team possible to compete for a playoff spot?  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Except that's not a fact. At all. What if the pick Tampa gets is 12th and they draft the next Hugh Jessiman? What if it's 1st overall and they draft the next Patrik Stefan? 

Sorry but declaring a winner of this trade now is a fool’s game. 

Also who knows what other teams are offering to bid on JT?  Tampa may have other offers but Nux targeted him.  Judging by what Green's comments, they see how well he can fit with the top 2 lines which they desperately need. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I kinda feel like the Canucks should be calling on lil Joe Pavelski. Yes he's old but on a short term $$ deal say 2 years I feel like he is the type of mentor we need for this young core. He can still produce at a high rate as well. He comes off the books just as we need to re up Pete and we insert Podkolzin. 

Miller Pete Boeser 

Pearson Bo Joe 

Roussel Sutter Virtanen

Baer Beagle Goldobin

depth

Granlund Gaudette(M) Leivo 

Colorado, Florida, NYI, and NJ all make far more sense for Pavelski if he leaves the Sharts.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

I love the player.

It doesn’t mean I want my team paying an unreasonable price for said player. If that’s the case, I like Marner. Let’s give Toronto 5 1st round picks for him lol.

See what I mean? It’s okay to like the player but not like the trade value we gave up :) 

Unreasonable according to who?  

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Lets face the facts. This is not a move that a rebuilding org does. This is a move made by a club that thinks they are ready to go for it. TJ Miller is a good player. None of us can argue this. All we can argue about is the value paid.  The deal is done so it now becomes water over the bridge. 

I think they have one choice. They must go for it and in a big way. They should keep Sutter and Tanev. Hope that Baer can play and then throw some money at the defense and another forward. Stick as many players as they can in the farm for depth and give her hell for two years. Forget about keeping cap space clear for Petey and Quin. Lets just go all in for two years and if we fail then start a new rebuild. 

Maybe they will do the next one right.

Yea I don’t get this.

Why was he opposed to trading 10th for Barrie if he did the Miller trade anyways? Always flip-flopping between rebuilding and wanting to win. He’s never really been set on either and his trades and signings have showcased that. 

Doesn’t stick to a plan. Seems to just make it up as he goes.

6 minutes ago, Baggins said:

You seem to think Tampa's trade options were limited. This wasn't a Kesler scenario where they had one team to talk to. That's where the wheels fall off the "but they were cap strapped" theory. 

They traded a good player at a decent cap hit that any team in the league would love to have. No ntc in play to limit his movement, meaning every team could bid on him. Cap strapped or not they would have got full value for him. The bargain hunters would have been out of the trade talks quickly leaving teams serious about acquiring a good player. 

Exactly. I don't understand the assumption that TB was handcuffed in this situation. Most likely scenario is that there were a lot of suitors, so Benning had to pony up to get him.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Damn, you really are a stalker 

@StealthNuck I need a restraining order from him pls (like srsly)

says the guys that's been 'confused' by about 30 of my posts in this thread .

play that contrived victim card - your use of the word "stalker" isn't trivializing what actual stalking is, at all.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

A 9m cap hit with 3 years remaining (including a ntc) is tougher to move when the player is 30 and coming off a year that didn't come close to living up to the deal. Miller on the other hand is just entering his prime and his deal could prove to be a bargain in our top six.

Like canuck73 said time will tell. Hope he pans out, just don’t think it’s a great deal.

• Cheers 1

Miller    Petey        Boeser

Baer     Bo            Pearson

Sutter    Beagle     Leivo

UFA      Gaudette   Virtanen

Roussel       Motte   Granlund

UFA           UFA

Edler          Tanev

Stecher      Hughes

Hutton        Saunter

They really need to move out Loui and his full cap hit.

Spooner Schaller will hurt.

10 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

Still hate it.

Tampa was the desperate team yet this feels like Benning was the one that caved/got outplayed.

I don't see why we couldn't continue to draft and develop like we had been doing since the Boeser pick. Let the players organically figure it out, keep drafting high, and when there is tangible proof that the team has turned the corner, make this type of deal. We are still a bottom 10 team and Aquilini's comment saying "the dark are over" indicates this team thinks the rebuild is over after 2-3 years when it clearly is not.

Why cant it be over? Team could be on the rise. Thrs no blueprint for a rebuild. All organizations are different. Some rebuilds can take off quickly some dont. Clearly management feels that with a few more adjustments on D this team will be on the rise. Ill trust thr expertise on the team more thn a bunch of morons on this board.

8 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Well brace yourself. All signs point to Benning going full out for Tyler Myers. I'm expecting another bad contract.

Say it aint so. I will choose not to believe any of this until it happens.