The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

Honestly, I don’t like a first being added as well but it’s been 5 years in the tank and we have some pretty nice pieces ready to roll into the lineup.  It’s time to can the “we’re still rebuilding” line of thinking. 

JB obviously going to make some moves to bolster the D heading into this season.  

Miller is a strong player and a full season of Pearson along with Bo, Brock and Pettersson that’s a playoff caliber top 6.

But we are still rebuilding.... That's just the reality of where we are. 

JT Miller is a good player, but not a player that puts you over the top. Tyson Barrie would've been better imo.

Now we have to go full out. Expect a massive contract offer for Tyler Myers. 

1 minute ago, Dion Phaneuf said:

Surprised Benning couldn't land Miller with a 2020 2nd rounder instead of a conditional 2020/21 1st rounder.   This trade could become ugly if the team fails to improve in the standings aka make the playoffs.

Tell me about it.

For the sake of the franchise, let’s just all hope we make the playoffs this season so we can thank the hockey gods we dodged a massive bullet :lol: 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Aladeen said:

Hard work is great... if I was being paid 5 million dollars a year I would work hard too but if Jim traded a first round pick for me he should be fired automatically.

You should work hard regardless of what you get paid.  If you apply for a job and your hired, you should give it your all.  That's a terrible mindset to say, I would work hard too if I got paid 5 million.  You'd never get there by coasting through life.

4 minutes ago, Ronning4center said:

Guys relax.  Over 6' over 200lbs with an edge who can score 50 points ...in his prime locked up for less than 6 mill.  This is absolutely

a good deal for us.  We kept Virt and we kept our second rounder this year.   Do you guys want to suck and rebuild for ever? 

No but I am a strong believer in being patient and stock piling first round picks isn't exactly a bad thing.

9 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Focus on the present sure. 

Benning for the last year has been talking out of his ass saying he's been focusing on the future and isn't gonna sacrifice picks for solutions now. 

What is it man? My faith in Benning has changed drastically today

Probably because he knows he will be fired if Canucks miss the playoffs next year. 

Gotta go for it at some point. 

Edit: don’t mind me I just woke up, saw 2020 first for Miller and panicked. see there is condition on the pick at least and feeling better 

Just pretty surprised. Hope he meshes with the boys and plays great for us

i still think this is a strange trade to make. It’s against he patience messaging Benning and co have preached. We just drafted two high end wingers it’s safe to say in 2 years we will have 2 top 6 wingers from our system.

i just thought if we were gonna make a trade using our first I thought it would be for a top 4 dman probably rhd like Barrie 

I’m really happy we have the lotto protection next year though, and miller is a good player hopefully he’ll take another step this year in a bigger role with our guys.

Our defence is still not good enough so guessing another trade coming or a big FA

signing like Gardiner. Since we are going for playoffs now next year for sure.

seems like ownership must have influenced this trade but wish we could have got a pick for marleau too.

Edited by R3aL
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mpt said:

For incompetence

I admit that if this is the biggest move we make I would have liked to have it involved a dman but I’m on board with the trade.

this team has a legit top six, ceiling and playoff chances.

imo our core needs a taste of the post season to develop to the next level.  I feel this trade could push us there.

go get a dman now Jim.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

my gosh, I can't believe the cry babies on here, you expect Benning should  not give up anything or he is a crap gm. come on, nothing wrong with this deal. so many of you before you found out there was a first involved loved the deal and the player.  I say go benning go!!!!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Good player with a serious Kesler like attitude.  I can see him here for a year then asking to be traded back to an American team. 

Elaborate please on the Kesler bit.

21 minutes ago, Monty said:

Do people here not realize that if a team were to draft a player in the first round, if they were to turn out being a 50 point player, that’s an absolute win?

Jeez. JT Miller is worth a conditional first. He’s in his prime right now, people.

Benning knows he is all done if nux don't make the playoffs this year. 

• Wat 1