The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

Hogs is a hard working, character, kid who has defensive deficiencies from being rushed. Given his work ethic he will learn, he doesn't have the Jake Virtanen attitude, and definitely has much more hockey sense / hockey IQ.

I think he will have to prove himself in camp, and even if he shows he's improved he's going to start in Abby because he's waiver exempt and they will try and repair the damage done from rushing him, that's what I would do as well.

It may be a small shock to his ego, but given his compete I fully believe he will do down and dominate. They will play him in important top 6 roles, PP and PK and force the defensive positioning into him.

He will get spot call ups this season, to test where his game is at, but not be brought up for a FT role (kind of like what they are doing with Rathbone)....mold him into the player they want.

Then next year, assuming he has shown he's learned, and since he's not waiver exempt, he will be a 3rd/4th liner. And an effective one / different player because of his year in the AHL.

That's my take

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been thinking hogs should be given a little bit for leash. First year he was pretty damn electric. BUT that was a year with only travel within Canada. Last year was the first he had to experience a true NHL grind. Not to mention we pretty much get the most travel always.

It will be interesting to see how the team views him and his progression this year. He was one of the few who didn't improve at all under Bruce. Time will tell but we shouldnt just add him to cap dumps like I've seen suggested

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I've been thinking hogs should be given a little bit for leash. First year he was pretty damn electric. BUT that was a year with only travel within Canada. Last year was the first he had to experience a true NHL grind. Not to mention we pretty much get the most travel always.

It will be interesting to see how the team views him and his progression this year. He was one of the few who didn't improve at all under Bruce. Time will tell but we shouldnt just add him to cap dumps like I've seen suggested

Was he trying to play through a pretty serious injury? He was shut down and had surgery as well.

• Cheers 1

If his skills don't result in a top-6 role, I wonder if it would be a good time to consider trading him (as a sweetener like someone mentioned).

Contending teams don't often have small bottom-6 guys on the wings (Andrew Cogliano is probably a notable exception due to his defensive skills), so if his two-way play isn't up to par then yes we should consider moving him, since Tyler Ennis types don't get very far even with all the heart and determination they have (since playoff battles tend to favor guys with some distinguished asset e.g. speed/ hustle/ size/ tough-to-defend talent).

Hoglander is a 21 year player with 2 NHL seasons. 116 games with 45 points. Seriously? Some fans already have him washed up and want to trade him? As per typical of the Canucks they are trying to teach him the NA pro game in the NHL. No AHL time. Well it is too late for the AHL now as the Canucks would lose Hogs if they tried to send him to Abby. I expect him to come back stronger this fall and hopefully play a 3 line role. I am not saying he cannot be passed on the depth chart but that said I am not close to giving up on this kid. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Hoglander is a 21 year player with 2 NHL seasons. 116 games with 45 points. Seriously? Some fans already have him washed up and want to trade him? As per typical of the Canucks they are trying to teach him the NA pro game in the NHL. No AHL time. Well it is too late for the AHL now as the Canucks would lose Hogs if they tried to send him to Abby. I expect him to come back stronger this fall and hopefully play a 3 line role. I am not saying he cannot be passed on the depth chart but that said I am not close to giving up on this kid. 

Kirby Dach in his 3 NHL seasons is averaging 20 points per.  He just got traded for 13OA.  Yes, the Habs overpaid, but it shows 21 year old players (even as bad as Dach) can have incredibly high value to some teams.  Hogs is clearly better than Dach.  If he’s traded, the return should be very high.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Kirby Dach in his 3 NHL seasons is averaging 20 points per.  He just got traded for 13OA.  Yes, the Habs overpaid, but it shows 21 year old players (even as bad as Dach) can have incredibly high value to some teams.  Hogs is clearly better than Dach.  If he’s traded, the return should be very high.  

Dach was fighting an injury last season. Did you see his play at Worlds before he was knocked out? Dach is an incredible talent. As much as I like Hogs, even up I would grab Dach in a second. 

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Dach was 3rd overall just 3 years ago, has the size etc.

Value-wise they are not close to each other, he should not be a sweatener but does not have the Dach value.

Edited by alucard
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Dach was fighting an injury last season. Did you see his play at Worlds before he was knocked out? Dach is an incredible talent. As much as I like Hogs, even up I would grab Dach in a second. 

Dach HAD a high ceiling, but he’s proving he’s not going to come anywhere close to it.  He’s been in the league three years and is almost certainly a 3C at most.  Hogs is proven he’s a middle six winger.  After this season Hogs will pass Dach.  Dach is going down, while Hogs is going up.  Habs are dumbos. 

• Like 1

Chicago lost their minds at the draft. They sold cheap on everything. 
If DeBrincat only gets you a first, a second and a pick a few years later then it depresses the market for JTM and other big ticket players potentially on the market. 
Going into a rebuild and trading away the 21 and 24 year olds while maintaining Kane and Toews even Benning didn’t do that at the beginning of his tenure. 

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Chicago lost their minds at the draft. They sold cheap on everything. 
If DeBrincat only gets you a first, a second and a pick a few years later then it depresses the market for JTM and other big ticket players potentially on the market. 
Going into a rebuild and trading away the 21 and 24 year olds while maintaining Kane and Toews even Benning didn’t do that at the beginning of his tenure. 

They got value for Dach though, replaced him with a new prospect etc.

They just want to turn the page and they see Debrincat points because of Kane.

Edited by alucard

3 hours ago, alucard said:

They got value for Dach though, replaced him with a new prospect etc.

They just want to turn the page and they see Debrincat points because of Kane.

They saw Panarin's points because of Kane too. I'm curious to see if Debrincat is Panarin 2.0 or if he really was relying on Kane.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 6:12 PM, Alflives said:

If Miller goes for Marino and Kapanen, the Myers (with Hogs as sweetener) could go for a higher round pick.  JR wants to keep us getting better.  No step back.  If Myers + Hogs gets us a second, the JR can add that to Garland for a guy like Crouse.

Out: Miller, Myers, Garland, Hogs

In: Marino, Kapanen, Crouse.

Hogs is the key to make it happen! :lol:

Not sure why everyone thinks Myers < OEL

I have seen Myers cover for OEL many times due to OEL's lack of foot speed. If we can remove OEL from our roster by adding Hoglander into the deal then so be it. 

• Like 1