The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

5 hours ago, Odd. said:

I believe Hoglander is 2-3 games away from being waiver eligible hence why he’s not being called up for the rest of the year. 

I think being in the AHL was a blessing in disguise for him. He’s really coming out strong and will definitely be a top 9 forward for us next season (barring any unexpected trades).

Agree with this. I was just at a game in Abbotsford and I was stunned at how dominant Hoglander was. He looks far to good for the AHL.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Agree with this. I was just at a game in Abbotsford and I was stunned at how dominant Hoglander was. He looks far to good for the AHL.

It seems as though he’s also maturing a lot. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Nils Hoglander making 70G In the minors. He could easily have a spot on the big club the way he's been playing lately. Tocchet would probably really like his drive.

Hogs will for certain be good n the big club next season. We need his “rat” and super skilled play. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Nils Hoglander making 70G In the minors. He could easily have a spot on the big club the way he's been playing lately. Tocchet would probably really like his drive.

I would think it imperative for Tocchet to have a good look at Hogs' game.  He will no longer be waiver exempt.

So he may not get another chance.  Send Podz down for a while and give Nils some ice time to prove himself.

Podz has already made the team, so let him go to Abby and work on his offence. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/12/2023 at 4:21 PM, higgyfan said:

I would think it imperative for Tocchet to have a good look at Hogs' game.  He will no longer be waiver exempt.

So he may not get another chance.  Send Podz down for a while and give Nils some ice time to prove himself.

Podz has already made the team, so let him go to Abby and work on his offence. 

I may be wrong, but I understood he can only play 1 game.  Play 2 and he can't be part of Abby's playoff run (would then need to clear waivers before getting sent back down)

I am sure Tocchet is getting regular progress reports from Colliton and the Twins 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just hope that he doesn't get stuck in tweener territory like Rathbone (too good for the AHL, but only depth in the NHL). 
If other teams see value in them when we've given them a shot and only see them as bottom-6/ bottom-pair guys, I hope we trade them, possibly even as sweeteners for moving bad contracts.

On 3/12/2023 at 4:09 PM, Muttley said:

Nils actually reminds me of Kuzmenko in his style of play.

On 3/12/2023 at 4:09 PM, Muttley said:

No doubt. But clearly, it's all about waiver exemption. Next year he's on the team, unless he's traded, which would be a mistake in my opinion. 

• Cheers 1

Waiver exemption may be part of it but I think Conner Garland will be moved to make room for Hoglander.

Hoglander is 5 years younger; can fill basically the same roll on the team and also save the team ~ 3.5 to 4 mil in Cap space.Just my opinion of course but I think that is how it will play out this summer

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Waiver exemption may be part of it but I think Conner Garland will be moved to make room for Hoglander.

Hoglander is 5 years younger; can fill basically the same roll on the team and also save the team ~ 3.5 to 4 mil in Cap space.Just my opinion of course but I think that is how it will play out this summer

I hope so. I don't think we'll be able to move garland though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I hope so. I don't think we'll be able to move garland though.

Yeah, his contract is a bit rich for a lot of teams. Most likely just a draft pick coming back if they can in fact, move him. 

Not a fan of having too many smaller and lighter players on the team at one time. IMO, most of the successful playoff teams have some larger players both on the D and in the forward positions.

• Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2023 at 12:34 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

The trick will be how much cap any trading partner will assume for Garland - that may well have been why we were unable to trade him this year. Trades are much more difficult with the cap so tight. Most teams are simultaneously trying to trade their way out of cap problems while they rebuild. It has become hideously expensive rid the team of cap problems.

7 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

The trick will be how much cap any trading partner will assume for Garland - that may well have been why we were unable to trade him this year. Trades are much more difficult with the cap so tight. Most teams are simultaneously trying to trade their way out of cap problems while they rebuild. It has become hideously expensive rid the team of cap problems.

True, but cap hits are slightly less of an obstacle  during the off season. All teams have salary coming off the books and haven’t usually decided exactly how they’re going to spend it yet, so they’re a little more flexible.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 12:34 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

Couldnt agree more. I see Hoglander playing a very similar game to Garlands which makes Garland expendable.  Trade Beau, Garland, Myers (15m in cap savings).