The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ben Hutton to become UFA

Its up to him now, how much he likes being in Vancouver. This isn't the first time we've decided not to qualify someone and then signed them a few days later to a more favorable contract.

Hutton's problem is timing. If cap went to 83 million this year, 4 million may have been realistic for him, but with it coming in at 81.5, suddenly there's going to be a bunch of players, all in roughly the same range of competency, all looking for new NHL contracts so that they don't have to go play in Europe for less.

I think if he's willing to sign for 3 million, deal probably gets done. If he wants more than that, I think he's going to have trouble finding another team willing to give him that much and he could just as easily wind up taking less to stay in the NHL.

5/6 D are a commodity now, their value will be set by the cap and availability.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I say give Brisebois and Sautner a chance to take his place.  They cost 1/4 of what he does and can likely do as much.  We just don't need Hutton at 4mill+.  I like him more than most, but we don't need him.  We clearly need a top 4 RHD by we don't need Hutton. 

Edler Stecher

Hughes Tanev

Sautner Biega

Brisebois Rafferty

Juolevi(if he is recovered?)

incoming

Meyers/Gardner

Tryamkin

Woo

Rathbone

Don't forget Teves on the left and Chatfield and Eliot on the right. But yes, top 4 RD is certainly a need right now.

If the Canucks don't qualify Hutton, then as much as it sucks to face the possibility of losing an asset, all the power to him to test other teams to see if he can get a more lucrative deal than what the Canucks would be willing to give him.

Losing players by not qualifying them happens from time to time and is one of the risks GMs take when rewarding a player with a contract early.  It doesn't help that arbitration can inflate the dollars even more (though it is otherwise intended to protect players as well).

If the Canucks lose Hutton in FA and gain Burakovsky as a FA (just as an example), then I don't see the whole situation working out too bad.  As for the Canucks' D, while it remains to be seen what management does with existing roster players not named Edler and Hughes (I'm assuming Stecher might actually be considered expendable as much as it would suck to see him moved), replacing Hutton with a less expensive, veteran depth D might actually work out better for the team.  They can insulate their younger D in the NHL and let Juolevi break down the door to the NHL while playing big minutes in Utica.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

If the Canucks don't qualify Hutton, then as much as it sucks to face the possibility of losing an asset, all the power to him to test other teams to see if he can get a more lucrative deal than what the Canucks would be willing to give him.

Losing players by not qualifying them happens from time to time and is one of the risks GMs take when rewarding a player with a contract early.  It doesn't help that arbitration can inflate the dollars even more (though it is otherwise intended to protect players as well).

If the Canucks lose Hutton in FA and gain Burakovsky as a FA (just as an example), then I don't see the whole situation working out too bad.  As for the Canucks' D, while it remains to be seen what management does with existing roster players not named Edler and Hughes (I'm assuming Stecher might actually be considered expendable as much as it would suck to see him moved), replacing Hutton with a less expensive, veteran depth D might actually work out better for the team.  They can insulate their younger D in the NHL and let Juolevi break down the door to the NHL while playing big minutes in Utica.

The cap creates a whole lot of fun and funny situations. Going to be interesting. Teams have some really hard decisions in front of them

When does the whole qualify vs not qualified list come out? I think its tomorrow afternoon, but I could be wrong.

People seem to forget how bad our D has been. He is not a solution to the problem. We have guys in the system that could do just as well as he did and they have much more upside. He tried to make it and was given a good chance to succeed. Things just didn't work out. Time to move on let some of the kids play.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Sticking up for a teammate (Pacquette was the douche that took a run at Petey last season and tried to fight Boeser) 

if Jordie Benn is the replacement? sign me up!

I have no issues with bringing in Benn on the right deal.  He was actually quite solid for the Habs last year. He's also been rather durable. 

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Why is Hutton's arbitration numbers in the $4m+ range?

To my understanding. It's partially due to the big contract Jim gave him last time around combined with his high minutes played. He probably walks which is fine by me. 

Hutton looked like he was going to be amazing we tried to get ahead of the curve and it bit us in the buns. it happens