The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks restructuring scouting department

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-lose-three-from-amateur-scouting-staff?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1562278399

Jim Benning looking to restructure Canucks' amateur scouting department

Despite earning plaudits for the work of their scouts in recent drafts, Vancouver Canucks management is nonetheless making changes to their scouting staff.

Three scouts, Chris MacDonald, Dan Palango and Paul Gallagher, have all been removed from the Canucks’ website in recent days.

Canucks general manager Jim Benning confirmed the departure of the trio on Thursday but wouldn’t go into details.

The last time the Canucks made significant changes to their scouting department was in 2017.

We’re going to re-structure the amateur scouting staff,” Benning said. “We’re going to have new people take on more responsibilities, some guys that have worked for us, that have been in charge of different areas.”

Further details would be announced later this month, he added.

MacDonald left the Canucks to pursue a higher-profile position with another NHL team, but Benning wouldn’t say which team as his hiring hasn’t been officially announced yet. He confirmed both Palango and Gallagher were let go by the club but he wouldn’t elaborate on the reasons why.

Based in Kingston, MacDonald’s most recent role with the Canucks had him scouting in Ontario and Quebec.

Benning said MacDonald’s hiring was a testament to the quality of the scouting staff he and director of amateur scouting Judd Brackett have assembled.

“Other organizations are looking at our people and looking to give them higher opportunities and I take pride in that,” he said.

Both MacDonald and Palango were hired by the Canucks while Mike Gillis was general manager, but that didn’t play into their departures, Benning said. A good portion of the Canucks’ current scouting staff were originally hired by Benning’s predecessors, Gillis, Dave Nonis and Brian Burke.

Still, in Palango’s case, it is perhaps also notable that he worked as a player agent with Gillis’s agency before he became the Canucks’ GM in 2008.

Palango was based in Ontario and served as a cross-checker, taking a second look at players his colleagues had been watching.

Gallagher had been with the Canucks for the past two seasons, after a long career scouting the maritimes and Quebec for the Florida Panthers.

pjohnston@postmedia.com

twitter.com/risingaction

Is this an Aquilini ordered penny pinching move?  Benning said some guys will be taking on more responsibility.  Add that to JB doing double duty, and ???  

I love the team JB has built, but something in me doesn’t trust our owner.  Tell me I’m wrong, and I’m just an old man barking at the moon.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Is this an Aquilini ordered penny pinching move?  Benning said some guys will be taking on more responsibility.  Add that to JB doing double duty, and ???  

I love the team JB has built, but something in me doesn’t trust our owner.  Tell me I’m wrong, and I’m just an old man barking at the moon.  

Quite possible.  As with any business, you have to balance the books.  Cut where you can to maintain a profit.  Maybe this is a pre-cursor to send LE down to Utica.  LE will still be paid $6M in Utica but only relieving the Canucks of $1M in cap space (what I heard on the radio).

• Upvote 1

Over the Canucks history drafting has been, lets put it mildly,just fricken terrible.

These new changes can't be as bad as some of our moves from years gone by,and Mr. Benning seems to have a real ability to pick up some good later round draft picks.

Now if we could only have some real luck at the LOTTO DRAFT,(we have gone the wrong way in drafting order for an unprecendented 4 years in a row)we could be a contender for the Stanley Cup sooner rather than later.

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I can see the resemblance...

2CC18249-915A-434D-85E9-734DA4165B98.jpeg

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I was less worried about amateur scouting than I was about pro-scouting.  Too many incoming NHL guys not being as advertised imo. Vrbata,  Vey,  Etem,  Prust,  Loui,  MDZ, Gags, Schaller, Spooner, ect....

I get that we were desperate there for depth/scoring for a long time and not every guy's gonna work out long-term,  but too many of these guys were total busts imo.  

I dont know.  In previous years the Canucks werent much of a desirable destination, and JB has made it clear he doesnt like icing a strictly all young team.  I think you can definitely make the case that all the vets that have been signed have been character individuals.  Vrbata even was a great signing for his first year at least.  A lot of the guys ebded up being place holders which to be fair, isnt all that surprising given the circumstances

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Alflives said:

your just an old man, catting around. i’m not close enough to the team and operation to really know and i don’t want to speculate. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I am confident they know what they are doing - but it makes me nervous to see them tinkering with something that seems to be working well as it is...

As long as they keep Judd we're fine but i bet benning will let him be the one in on whomever is hired to replace them... 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Is that glowing orange fur turning grey alf?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

I was less worried about amateur scouting than I was about pro-scouting.  Too many incoming NHL guys not being as advertised imo. VrbataVeyEtem,  Prust,  Loui,  MDZ, Gags, Schaller, Spooner, ect....

I get that we were desperate there for depth/scoring for a long time and not every guy's gonna work out long-term,  but too many of these guys were total busts imo.  

I'd argue the bolded players came exactly as advertised.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1