The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Think Green is crippling Pettersson with a dump and chase style

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

Just now, Hectic said:

but they're so much fun though 

We chased away the past content creators and replaced those threads with this stuff. 

Look at the Forum now. 

What is being discussed? 

Its never been so dull. Even the petting threads are flat. 

I am aware what a counter to this comment comment might be, but there’s no denying that this forum is a morgue, despite winning, etc, as if that what made this forum interesting for the past few decades. 

The fun in any of these threads is the shots we take at bold, early predictions, etc. I get that too. 

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

These Chicken Little, premature threads are a bad idea every season, yet people bite. 

At some point maybe it will stick.  I know your conservative when it comes to praise - maybe this time it’s happening? They do deserve the praise the way we’ve played - most impressive personally the way Myers and Edler handled one of the supposedly best player in the league in Barkov.    Yeah it’s early yet, your one of who I would consider level headed posters.   Every time I see your handle I like it - read Proberts book and identified with most of it - at some point you need to get off the fence and make a stand though.   I have.  And it’s an awesome feeling.  

Whats it going to take?  They’ve made me a believer - as a long time fan I’m pretty sure (of course maybe I’m wrong) that right now we are witnessing history. Jump on the bandwagon!   Worst case scenario we lose a bunch of guys and don’t make the payoffs (and get a lottery ticket) best case we win the cup.  Sure it’s probably somewhere in between.   

In the meantime enjoy it.   I sure am.   No more Sedins.  No more Naslund.  And I’m not trying to troll everyone - it’s absolutely refreshing.   Go Horvat and go EP/Hughes/BB and I’d wage one of the deepest teams we’ve ever had.   No way injuries will matter much this year. Our depth is maybe as good as it’s ever been.  

Predicted we’d make the playoffs - and we are just getting started.   Excited to see what managed can do with a competitive hockey team for the first time in a while.    

22 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Of course you use it as an option.... one of many.

But you also work to carry the puck into the zone, because gaining the zone in possession is a better option... no wasted time trying to regain possession with forecheck.

And you use creative plays, with the wingers switching sides, the center moving to a wing to confuse the defensive coverage... or players lining up one behind the other, first guy gains the zone with the puck then drops it to the second guy and heads to the net drawing the defense to him and leaving room for the new puck carrier.

All these are normal systems in the NHL, most good teams use a variety of entries. 

The problem with Green's style is that it emphasized the dump and chase over everything else... which makes it easier for the opposing defense, they are always looking for the dump in, they are positioned to retrieve the puck.

The good news is this last game versus Florida the team started to use zone entry in possession again... not sure if that was player initiative or Green took them off the leash.

Hope they continue that... because every team needs a variety of offensive options to throw at the opposing team's defense.

Yeah, you dump it in when the defense is lined up at the blueline waiting for you, but if you're a well coached team, in most cases Dump and Chase is not the first option.

it's not beer league hey?  You can't just dipsy doodle your way around the ice.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

We chased away the past content creators and replaced those threads with this stuff. 

Look at the Forum now. 

What is being discussed? 

I am aware what a counter to this comment comment might be, but there’s no denying that this forum is a morgue, despite winning, etc, as if that what made this forum interesting for the past few decades. 

The fun in any of these threads is the shots we take at bold, early predictions, etc. I get that too. 

umm ... someone teach this dude how to read a calendar. 

that said, in spite of the fact that forums in general are antiquated and millennials prefer the vapid and immediate gratification of twitter instead, this place will start to fill up by the end of the year once the casuals hop back on the bandwagon because a friend of theirs told them the team was doing good and has some new swedish kid who apparently is pretty fun to watch. 

• Haha 1

On 10/31/2019 at 9:41 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Look at the Forum now. 

What is being discussed? 

I'd wager part of the problem is a lack of anything particularly controversial/divisive to argue about as well at the moment. The team's playing well, all the trades and signings are producing for the most part etc, etc

There's a few try-hards still screaming in to the wind but I think most of us simply pat them on their digital heads with 50% humour and 50% pity as we go along our merry way.

giphy.gif

At some point though, Benning's going to have to make some moves to clear out the log jam of middle 6 F's, trade a guy like Stecher or Tanev (or let the latter walk) etc and there will be controversy and discussion once again!

12 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

So crippling.

Crippling his way to an art ross, hart, selke and lady byng.  Oh and a jack Adam's.

Crippling lol

Don’t forget the Calder.  Hughes might win / or be a finalist ... then we can pretty much brag to whomever we want about having one three consecutive years 

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Don’t forget the Calder.  Hughes might win / or be a finalist ... then we can pretty much brag to whomever we want about having one three consecutive years 

boeser probably would of won it if he didn't get injured too :( 
still though, calder finalists in 3 straight years, 
its gotta be some sort of record.. 

4 minutes ago, Laheys Liquor said:

boeser probably would of won it if he didn't get injured too :( 
still though, calder finalists in 3 straight years, 
its gotta be some sort of record.. 

Im not so sure about that. Barzal totaled 85 pts in 82 games. 

Boeser was on pace for 72 pts. As good as boes was barzal was a little better in that rookie year.