The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Guillaume Brisebois

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I mean sure it's cool and all they keep calling these guys up.  Cool that they get a small bump in pay.  But what's the point of continuing to call people up to simply ride the pine and enjoy a training session here or there without ever playing them?

The guy already up here in reserve is almost always better than the one coming in so he'll go into the lineup, unless there's a specific distinction such as LD/RD or C/W.

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

I like this call-up for the Canucks .  I watch all the Comets games and he has been one of the best all round Dman in Utica.  I have always thought he is a player like Tanev.

Agreed.  I also think JB really likes his guys game.  Too bad he's not a rd.

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, linden17 said:

What’s so hard to understand? You always need an extra Defenceman that you don’t dress just in case. Every single pro team does it. It’s not rocket science that when a guy goes down you call one up. 

Really anyone questioning this hasn't played any of the big four sports in their entire life.  Even in elementary school.  Especially   high school this happens if your team is competitive enough and going for a regional or provincial/state title.   The best players play, their is a distinct pecking order.  One two guys that are almost there travel with the team, practice with the team - and wait for their shot - which they sometime get with no injuries anyways at that level but still mostly just watch the games..  It's not rocket science - just look at the depth chart ...

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Benn

32 hits

38 games

Fantenburg

48 hits

27 games

That hit statistic is as useless as +\-, half the people keeping track of that stat aren't even sure what constitutes a hit and that stat varies from each rink.  And physicality is not limited to body checks - for a Defenseman that means moving bodies in front of the net and sticking up for teammates.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

My hope for Brisebois is that he enjoys his time up with the team, and gets some meaningful practices in with them. As well, if he does see some ice time, that he doesn't get injured in the process.

My hope for Benn is that he sees this opportunity to play like a man possessed and makes it impossible for them to take him out. Be solid positionally and make every hit count, and ensure it hurts the opposing player. Some are doing so, like Virtanen and MacEwen. More need to.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

That hit statistic is as useless as +\-, half the people keeping track of that stat aren't even sure what constitutes a hit and that stat varies from each rink.  And physicality is not limited to body checks - for a Defenseman that means moving bodies in front of the net and sticking up for teammates.  

Regardless of that statistic - Benn has not only lacked physicality in the 'hits' category - he wan't really a 'net clearing presence' either, he's been slow and indecisive with the puck, and he hasn't fit into the up tempo game nearly as well as Fantenburg.   Benn has been a disappointment if there is one on this roster this season.  He lost his spot for good reasons.

If he's back in the lineup I hope the sit has lit a fire under him, because as it's been, he's a downgrade on Fantenburg whether you like his hypothetical physicality or not.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

My hope for Brisebois is that he enjoys his time up with the team, and gets some meaningful practices in with them. As well, if he does see some ice time, that he doesn't get injured in the process.

My hope for Benn is that he sees this opportunity to play like a man possessed and makes it impossible for them to take him out. Be solid positionally and make every hit count, and ensure it hurts the opposing player. Some are doing so, like Virtanen and MacEwen. More need to.

No better way to get right into that mindset against a division rival in a playoff game atmosphere now down the stretch.

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

No better way to get right into that mindset against a division rival in a playoff game atmosphere now down the stretch.

Exactly. Calgary will be playing with some desperation in light of losing their top defenseman for a few weeks. Hamonic, Lucic, Rinaldo, Tkachuk all raring to go, knowing that the Canucks have been inconsistent physically. It's the best opportunity for Benn to make his presence felt. And the opportunity for Horvat, Miller, Pearson, Myers, Edler, Stecher, Roussel, and others to get in gear and make a mark (both literally and figuratively).

4 hours ago, Squamfan said:

lol why cant they call up rafterty . if Ollie had his stats he would have been up a long time ago

because benning and his staff don't make roster decisions by looking at stats on hockeydb. he has commented that rafferty still needs to work on his defensive zone play quite a bit, and the group (benning, rj, cull, green) have decided brisebois was the option. 

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I mean sure it's cool and all they keep calling these guys up.  Cool that they get a small bump in pay.  But what's the point of continuing to call people up to simply ride the pine and enjoy a training session here or there without ever playing them?

a tiny little 10x bump in pay ...

besides, practicing with NHLers for a week or 3 means more to a young player's development than playing another 5 ahl games. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

What about the guys already here sitting in the press box not playing at all while waiting for these injuries? 

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Hell yeah! Really hoping he can transition alright. We could use another Dman with some offensive upside. Especially with a right handed shot.

Im gonna take him in my fantasy draft next year if he’s still available so I’m banking on the guy haha

If he can put up 35-40 points a year and be a PP guy on the second unit we will be golden. Got high hopes for the guy. Hopefully he can transition to the big leagues with ease.