The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are YOUR top 5 memories as a Canucks fan?

Rate this topic

Roberts

1) First NHL Hockey game - Canucks vs Hawks and Tony Esposito was in net for the Hawks
2) 94 Cup Run and being part of the festivities downtown until it got ugly
3) 82 Cup Run and towel power
4) Pavel Bure scoring 60 goals in a season - then duplicating that effort the following year
5) Canucks trading for Luongo

1) Burke's '94 series winner vs Calgary

2) Adam's '94 series winner vs Toronto

3) Bieksa's winner vs Sharks

4) I was at the game where the Canucks routed the Flames 11-0 years ago. Vernon got chased, Reese got lit up as well. Some Flames fans were crying in the stands, it was awesome.

5) A game vs Washington in the 88-89 season which I attended. Captain Kirk made an insane save diving across the crease (airborne) with his stick extended. Crowd went nuts, still remember it to this day.

• Upvote 1

Luongo's incredible 47 win season in 2007 to drag a team of pylons to the 2nd round.

Sedins winning back to back Art Ross trophies.

Linden's number being retired. 

Burrows goal against Chicago in Game 7 OT of course.

AV losing it when Bieksa got mocked by Fiddler.

Honorable mentions to the Brabarian Cowen and Salo losing a testicle in the playoffs.

• Like 1

1) The Budweiser girl named Sheila outside section 121 during the 2011 playoff run!

2) The Budweiser girl named Samantha outside section 121 during the 2011 playoff run!

3) The Budweiser girl named Barbie outside section 121 during the 2011 playoff run!

4) The Budweiser girl named Mika outside section 121 during the 2011 playoff run!

5) L.E. 1st goal  - against his own team.   The funniest thing I ever saw!!!!!   (and a sign of what was to come !)

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

tragic

tragic

I think OP means your favorite memories.  

Unspecified, and knowing Roberts, who has also seen this very thread each and every year for decades, he’s probably hoping for unscripted or uncanned answers like “1994 cup run”. 

Bure and prime Bertuzzi might be my fav moments/memories. 
Almo trade was another. 

I’m not that young. 
Most of my Canuck memories suck. 
Undoubtably you are what, 25? Grew up with Prez Trophy Canucks teams, and this is your first re-thingy, etc. 

Perhaps when you have as many memories, in another 20+ years, as I have of the Canucks, you will only choose to cite ones that are positive. And good for you when you do. Add it to the pile. 

In my case, I remember crap like when they traded Stern and how Linden ran out in a towel to the hallway to say bye to him, or McSorley whacking Brashear, or trading for Diduck, etc. There are lots of things to pick from. 

So what if I cited a few of them off the top of my head that really galvanized me?  

Some of the things I think of when I think of the Canucks are really sad, pathetic even. I think of the awful moments as much as the great ones and for anyone whose been around the team a while can agree that it’s been mostly bad. 

Canucks Luck, for instance, that’s a thing for anyone’s top 5, wheter they know it yet or not! 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

Here's my personal top 5:

1. Bure OT goal vs. Flames in '94. I was 9 at the game with my uncle both head-to-toe in Canucks gear with the painted face and sign. Went down to the players exits after and got it signed by Quinn, Linden, Adams, Murzyn, MacIntyre, Hunter, and more. 

2. Henrik Sedin 1000th point.  I was at this game too. The fact it was a beautiful goal on Luongo and assisted by #22 & #23 made it even more special.

3. 2008/09 Playoffs vs. Chicago. Can't remember which game it was but it was the one where Luongo made that crazy rebound stick save on Eager. I got the tickets for free and sat next to the legend Jim Robson and his wife Bea in the lower bowl. Not bad.

4.Henrik's 4 point night versus Calgary. Sealed the Art Ross with beautiful hockey.

5. Going a bit off the board with this one, but the game last year versus Colorado where Petey had 5 points. He had an OT breakaway which drew the penalty Pouliot scored on,  but if the ref had a brain he would've given Petey a penalty shot and chance for the hat trick. 

in no particular order

first live game vs St Louis, Blues won and I have hated them ever since

'82 run, got to stay up late to watch every game

beating the leafs in '94 playoffs

Burrows slaying the dragon

Sedin era in general (Art Ross x2, Hart, back to back president's trophies)

Here are mine in no particular order....

1. Burrows slaying the dragon

2. Tiger riding his stick

3. "Greg Adams, Greg Adams....the Canucks are going to the Stanley Cup Final"

4. Being at the game that Gino scored on a penalty shot against the Flames.

5. Trevor Linden - the hockey player and the man.

And too many others to mention.

• Cheers 1

so many to choose from but...

5. Geoff Courtnall overtime game 5 Calgary... the goal that brought back hope.

4. Trevor Linden overtime game 6 Calgary.... we might win this yet!

3. Greg Adams 3rd period tying goal game 7 vs Calgary. With about 5 minutes left the whole province erupted with cheers as the game was now tied.

2. and 1.  Bure's goal game 7 and Burrows goal game 7... both amazing times and on to greater things.

Greg Adams goal in game 1 vs the Rangers was another... right away i thought, "wow we are going to win this thing"

Game 1 and Game 2 vs Boston... same thing it could have gone either way but after 2 games i was like "ok now we lead the finals by two games this time, now we are going to win this thing" lol

• Like 1

Ok I will play.

5.  Game two Stanley Cup Final 2011...we win and I'm over the moon...didn't think we had it in the bag but was dreaming about it for sure.   This COULD have become number one on the list but the memory is powerful enough to make the list regardless.

4.  Coming home late from work game 7 Final 1994...it was already 4:30 and the game was starting but still had a ten minute mountain bike ride to get home to watch it...never pedalled so hard in my life and the only time I cried because of hockey...I missed the first couple of minutes. 

3.  First game ever live. Circa 1992-93 ish Pacific Coliseum and I splurged for front row seats in the corner.   Played WNP and we won, three fights...was on cloud nine for a week or so.  

2. Game 5 againt TO...1994.  We won on to the Stanley cup final...I believed it was destiny by then, the entire run was magical.

1.  Game 7 CAL 1994... went camping in the Cowichan area, was pre-arranged and had the VCR set to record the game.   Listened to the entire game on radio with best buds at the time, thought we were alone as hadn't seen another soul for a day or so...Bure wins it in OT and our cheers were echoed maybe 500 feet away in the bush by another group who was doing the same.  The joy was palpable. 

Honourable mention(s).   All the times my little brother would be hunched over his ghetto blaster listening to the games in the garage circa 1991-93ish...his enthusiasm made me forget my first love the 80's EDM Oilers/Gretzky.   I was also over the moon when they won their last cup in 1990, watched every game that playoffs (for the Canucks too) that was televised. 

Also 1989 first round Canucks pushing hard for a run of their own.  Otto kicked it in!  For sure that was the best rivalry we've ever had.  Fight filled games right past 94....makes the CHI one look trivial in comparison.  

• Upvote 1

On 2/10/2020 at 12:01 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Unspecified, and knowing Roberts, who has also seen this very thread each and every year for decades, he’s probably hoping for unscripted or uncanned answers like “1994 cup run”. 

Bure and prime Bertuzzi might be my fav moments/memories. 
Almo trade was another. 

I’m not that young. 
Most of my Canuck memories suck. 
Undoubtably you are what, 25? Grew up with Prez Trophy Canucks teams, and this is your first re-thingy, etc. 

Perhaps when you have as many memories, in another 20+ years, as I have of the Canucks, you will only choose to cite ones that are positive. And good for you when you do. Add it to the pile. 

In my case, I remember crap like when they traded Stern and how Linden ran out in a towel to the hallway to say bye to him, or McSorley whacking Brashear, or trading for Diduck, etc. There are lots of things to pick from. 

So what if I cited a few of them off the top of my head that really galvanized me?  

Some of the things I think of when I think of the Canucks are really sad, pathetic even. I think of the awful moments as much as the great ones and for anyone whose been around the team a while can agree that it’s been mostly bad. 

Canucks Luck, for instance, that’s a thing for anyone’s top 5, wheter they know it yet or not! 

You should read the latest THN ... 50 moments of suffering both Buffalo and Vancouver...100 (ok 98 because of the lock-out) year and of suffering between the two and the top 25 moments each that really suck.   You named a few.   No franchise has been through as much as us. At some point the Hockey Gods need to take pity on us right?   Now with soon to be 32 teams ... I'm starting to wonder if I will ever see a cup. 

• Upvote 1

1. 2011 Burrows OT goal over Chicago in Game 7

2. 2011 Bieksa OT goal over Sharks to advance to the SCF

3. Matt Cooke game-tying goal with 5.7 seconds left against Calgary in Game 7 (2004)

4. Meeting most of the Canucks players when hockeyville was in North Saanich

5. Pettersson's first NHL game