The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Minnesota Wild | August 7th, 2020 | 7:45pm PT, SNP | SCQ Game #4

Rate this topic

Roberts

49 minutes ago, stawns said:

More than any other game, it's important for Van to play with discipline.  Play aggressively, but when the whistle blows, let Minny blow their cool and take penalties.  Even if the pp doesn't score, the mins that Minny is shorthanded is just as valuable

Disagree. We won those games because we had bite and push back, we can't change that strategy now. Double down on it. Always gotta stand up for teammates and match the other teams physicality in the playoffs otherwise we're getting run out of the building.

Stay aggressive and keep pushing back boys it's a dog fight LET'S DO THIS :towel:

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

This game is going to show where the level of mental strength the team has.

At times we saw over the season in big moments they wilted against the pressure or lost their composure. At times we saw them rise to the occasion and seize it.  I expect a hungry and desperate Minnesota Wild team, I hope the Canucks can keep their own emotions in check because I feel the Wild will throw everything at the Canucks and do everything in their power to cause us frustration.

Need to stay composed, poised, and ready to dig down a little deeper.

I think the vets we have insulated the kids with are doing a great job of this.   

Really got to give them props so far (Sutter, Beagle, Miller, Tanev, Edler, Pearson, Fanta, etc)

We just can't keep parading to the box like we have (resist that extra shot).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Disagree. We won those games because we had bite and push back, we can't change that strategy now. Double down on it. Always gotta stand up for teammates and match the other teams physicality in the playoffs otherwise we're getting run out of the building.

Stay aggressive and keep pushing back boys it's a dog fight LET'S DO THIS :towel:

I agree that the Canucks can't let up on the aggressive play, though I think it's still always good to try to walk the line between aggressive play that doesn't hurt the team and aggressive play that does.  Myers is taking a lot of penalties but from what I can tell, they haven't necessarily been "bad" penalties.  One was set off by Greenway being penalized too.  Most others are from Myers making Wild players pay for going to the front of the net or just making the Canucks D zone a miserable place to be.  As long as Myers and other Canucks doesn't take any majors (e.g. boarding anyone) or be a factor in sequences that place the Canucks 2 men down for extended periods of time, I'm not overly worried.

What they want to avoid are interference penalties in the O zone or needless goalie interference penalties that aren't primarily from crashing the net hard (e.g. Pearson's penalty on Stalock in the 3rd period of Game 1), etc.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

I said they have to play aggressive, but turn the other cheek after the whistles.  They need to stay disciplined and let Minny unravel.

• Huggy Bear 2
  • Vintage 1

Penalties to stop a goal. Ok, but play better.

Penalties to stop the other team from taking liberties. Ok, but hit them twice as hard back.

Stupid penalties on a line change, or knee on knee or headshots. No. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I said they have to play aggressive, but turn the other cheek after the whistles.  They need to stay disciplined and let Minny unravel.

While I would much prefer not the engage with the silly stuff, until the league decide to ref it out of the game taking the moral high ground does nothing but hinder you, especially in the playoffs when there is a different rule book (rules imho should be the same)

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Aggressive play wins championships. Star players being run with no response leads to more stars being run. Myers owned our crease yesterday and it showed. Minnesota is a scared team right now. 
I will bet that they will come out tonight banging and crashing, trying to throw us off our game. Our choice is to play “disciplined” hockey and hope for the calls or amp up the physicality and show everyone else that we won’t take it. History shows the longer the playoffs go the less calls we will get. I say, respond in kind. Please note I didn’t say to do dumb things and take needless penalties. If they touch Marky, make them pay. If they target Petey, target Fiala and make them pay. If they want to come out and play clean...destroy them on the scoreboard. They can’t beat our skill and we can match them in strength. Their only real chance of winning is a lucky bounce or a perfect game. Let’s keep Fiala crying to the refs and Greenway hiding from Myers, it’s fun to watch our team push others around for a change. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

MIN is going to do what they have to do to stay in the series. I hope the Canucks dispose of them tonight, enough of Hartman, Greenway and Fiala.

The Canucks NEED the first goal. They got the first one in the last two games and won both. If they have to chase the game and try to catch up to the Wild, then it could be trouble. The Wild D can shut it down when they need to. Start fast and aggressive, get that first goal, and then get MIN frustrated. Go Canucks Go! 

• Like 1

Hartman should be watched CLOSELY....guy's a dangerous loose cannon.  He's on a mission to hurt Petey because he got embarrassed trying to play him fair and square.

Predatory hit here in my mind...puck's right there but he has zero interest in it.  I don't think we should "play nice" when this crap's happening.  Loved JT's response as he told Crackhead Bigfoot "NO".

image.png

image.png

image.pngimage.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

So I decided to look up the refs for tonight's game and they are Dan O'Rourke and Marc Joannette.  I think they are actually the same person.  Look at their stats as refs...they are almost identical from first game reffed to PP per game to home win %.

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Hartman should be watched CLOSELY....guy's a dangerous loose cannon.  He's on a mission to hurt Petey because he got embarrassed trying to play him fair and square.

Predatory hit here in my mind...puck's right there but he has zero interest in it.  I don't think we should "play nice" when this crap's happening.  Loved JT's response as he told Crackhead Bigfoot "NO".

image.png

image.pngimage.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I might be in the minority here but I think Hartman actually let up on that particular play.  Hartman had a b-line on Petey and was put in a vulnerable position when Koivu's stick got tangled in his skates.  To me, Hartman actually changes his body angle when he sees Petey flop over which made the hit look bad but less dangerous than it could have been.  Granted, if Petey had been upright, then he would have been smoked as Hartman was coming in very fast and Petey was a bit away from the boards.  Unless there was a charge however (which I can't tell), I wouldn't necessarily have seen that as a dirty hit even if the puck was otherwise available.  It's the same kind of play of removing the player physically from the play (not necessarily dangerously mind you) that I would expect a Canuck to make on a Wild player.

Hartman's been a decent depth player and had a good run with the Blackhawks and Predators before signing in Minny.  He's been a reasonably effective pest during his career. That being said, I really hope he doesn't develop a Marchand/M. Tkachuk "intent to injure" type reputation from this series as to this point in his career, I haven't found him to be that kind of player.  Still, he's been a guy that does play close to the edge and he's clearly been tasked with trying to engage Petey physically so yes, Petey and the rest of the roster need to be very aware of when he's on the ice.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I might be in the minority here but I think Hartman actually let up on that particular play.  Hartman had a b-line on Petey and was put in a vulnerable position when Koivu's stick got tangled in his skates.  To me, Hartman actually changes his body angle when he sees Petey flop over which made the hit look bad but less dangerous than it could have been.  Granted, if Petey had been upright, then he would have been smoked as Hartman was coming in very fast and Petey was a bit away from the boards.  Unless there was a charge however (which I can't tell), I wouldn't necessarily have seen that as a dirty hit even if the puck was otherwise available.  It's the same kind of play of removing the player physically from the play (not necessarily dangerously mind you) that I would expect a Canuck to make on a Wild player.

Hartman's been a decent depth player and had a good run with the Blackhawks and Predators before signing in Minny.  He's been a reasonably effective pest during his career. That being said, I really hope he doesn't develop a Marchand/M. Tkachuk "intent to injure" type reputation from this series as to this point in his career, I haven't found him to be that kind of player.  Still, he's been a guy that does play close to the edge and he's clearly been tasked with trying to engage Petey physically so yes, Petey and the rest of the roster need to be very aware of when he's on the ice.

I disagree.   And am convinced this factors in:

Hartman (undisclosed) exited Tuesday's game versus the Canucks in the third period, Sarah McLellan of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports.

Hartman went into the boards in a tangle with Canucks center Elias Pettersson

The "goal' of the game is to get the puck in order to score.  He has no interest in it here...clearly.  I do think he may have let up a bit...I believe that was likely more for his sake than Petey's though.