The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Golden Knights -SUN AUG 23 7:30PM PACIFIC - NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS

Rate this topic

xereau

Here is another example of MacLean of saying terribly inappropriate things, being made to apologize, and not really apologizing:

CBC’s Ron MacLean issues 'clarification' over 9/11-NHL playoff comparison

ELLIOTT PAP, VANCOUVER SUN  05.10.2012

CBC’s Ron MacLean issues 'clarification' over 9/11-NHL playoff comparison

CBC's Hockey Night In Canada broadcaster Ron MacLean.

IAN KUBA / GETTY IMAGES

VANCOUVER — Usually it's the bombastic Don Cherry putting his foot in his mouth on Hockey Night In Canada, but now straight man Ron MacLean seems to have been infected, too.

Prior to Wednesday night's puck drop between the Washington Capitals and New York Rangers, MacLean compared the hockey players to 9/11 first responders. Naturally this didn't go over very well, prompting MacLean to issue a clarification on Thursday.

Here's the essence of what he said during his intro to the Caps-Rangers contest, won 2-1 by Washington: “It's crazy to compare what the emergency responders did during that time but a spirit has to start somewhere and, as you enjoy this series between the New York Rangers and Washington Capitals, you can't help but be struck by the players and the way they've played these games. They are like police officers, they are like firefighters. You can't fight fire with ego ... the pain these men have faced, the price they keep on paying, the hearts they keep on lifting.”

MacLean was apparently reaching for some dramatic comparisons but they were inappropriate and fell flat. The Twitter universe, as it is wont to do, reacted quickly, among them New York Post hockey columnist Larry Brooks, who tweeted: “Ron MacLean, seriously? One of the most idiotic television segments of all time.”

In any case, MacLean felt compelled to issue a statement Thursday on what the message he was try to convey.

“I, like everyone on the planet in his or her lifetime, saw beyond the horror [of 9/11], the single greatest testament to the strength of the human spirit in the efforts of the first responders,” he said. “We never know if we'll have that spirit. The bravery, the resilience.

“As I made clear, the hockey games in no way compare. However, sports has proven a worthy training ground in nurturing the qualities which beget that spirit. To say he plays like a firefighter or a policeman would instantly conjure the traits an athlete most desires, especially in New York and Washington. There could be no higher praise of a player, no greater choice of a role model.”

Obviously MacLean felt no apology was in order and, hence, didn't offer one. This, of course, prompted more twitter reaction.

“Does Ron MacLean's explanation statement come with English translation? I needed footnotes or something to understand it,” said Toronto-based columnist and sometimes TSN panelist Steve Simmons.

“Twitter's courage right now in making fun of Ron MacLean's non-clarifying statement is inspiring,” wrote Postmedia national sports columnist Bruce Arthur. “I wish I had something to compare it to.”

MacLean’s next appearance on Hockey Night will be Saturday when the Rangers and Capitals play Game 7 in their second-round Eastern Conference series. Needless to say, his intro will be highly scrutinized.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, John.Tallhouse said:

Anyone else missing the boys as much as I am 

5E91A2F4-11E2-4415-B4EF-A3A77612E128.jpeg

I noticed Chris Cuthbert say "x seconds left" with minutes left in both of the last two wins, and John Garrett immediately popped in my head both times :lol:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I get that, read again I was being a bit silly. I mentioned it in the response that I know it is about the 'Knights' part.

My point was that they are different leagues. But they are both hockey teams and on the same continent.

I guess that's why the Newcastle Knights rugby team can get away with it, different sport and country.

Same reason why you can get American ‘champagne’ or American ‘clotted cream’

which is neither champagne nor clotted cream as they dont recognise European PDOs whereas I believe Canada does.

also trademarks are often have to be registered at each country/supranational level 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, drdeath said:

I noticed Chris Cuthbert say "x seconds left" with minutes left in both of the last two wins, and John Garrett immediately popped in my head both times :lol:

He definitely does the '100 seconds left' countdown for most if not all games. 

Cuthbert has been really great, even if he gets Canucks players mixed up every now and then.

• Upvote 1

A couple whiles ago we had an impromptu evening where the crowd continued singing Don't Stop Believing well past the dj cut/faceoff. He tried to force a repeat performance way too many times over the next few weeks, but it never took off like the original and I wondered if anyone had the first video take. If I remember correctly Shorty stopped the call to let us listen. I've been unsuccessful with Youtube searches.  

10 hours ago, Odd. said:

Vegas is going to be scary. Size, speed, skill, defense, depth, they got everything.

Though unlike the Wild or Blues, they're more of a high-impact team. Speed, speed, speed, and more speed which can open up a lot of things offensively. 

Canucks in 7. 

I think our skill will expose the sub-par goaltending they have been getting in the bubble and most of the season.

Sure I'm bias but Lehner at 905% or MAF at 880% doesn't strike fear in me.

Plus the way Marky is playing right now, I find it hard to think he will lose four games.

9 hours ago, John.Tallhouse said:

Travis Green : “I think you asked me if I was worried about our bottom six scoring, like I said, I wasn’t” 

what a beast 

I seriously question anyone's hockey IQ who craps on Green.

Every pundit has had nothing but praise for him all year and he's the perfect age to coach a younger team and it's obvious the boys love him. 

8 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

Honestly i don’t wanna see any of those oh I think canucks did great against the Blues but will probably lose to Vegas type, regardless it’s a good learning experience and exceeded expectations type objective bull crap. 

Canucks have Hughes, Pettersson and Markstrom. Probably three of the top 15 players in the league. Remember what Chicago did to us about 10 years ago? Yes, I see our current team somewhat similar to that hawks team with a young Kane, toews, Keith.

Honestly, Canucks in 5 or 6. stop trying to be objective. We are Canucks fans and we are here to win this. 

Yup this "just happy to be here crap isn't how I was brought up" I want to win and nothing else. If we had won our games in hand before the pause we would only have been 4 points back, even tho they went 15-5 before the pause. Before that we were often ahead or very close points wise.

13 hours ago, John.Tallhouse said:

“It Doesn't Feel Pity, Or Remorse, Or Fear, And It Absolutely Will Not Stop, Ever, Until You Are Dead!”

It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear, and absolutely will not stop, ever, until your offensive game is DEAD.  

fixed it. Lol.