The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

3 minutes ago, OYF said:

All true except no guarantee that OEL would give them any team at all next year. He doesn't need to give them any team as he got full NTC

No. There’s no guarantee. But being handcuffed into taking a bad deal now without saving money in the midst of the pandemic is likely enough motivation to risk it. 

I know I can probably look it up but I feel I'll get much simpler answers here, lol. Is it possible for a team to retain a percentage of a players cap hit only? Or does the retention apply to both the cap hit AND the actual salary?

I feel like Arizona could and would be willing to retain 1-1.5 million in cap hit alone if Vancouver was willing to cover the total actual salary costs. By doing that, and getting OEL at a 6.75 cap hit, it would be a win-win for both sides. ARI gets some salary cap eaten up while savings a lot of money in the long run.

20 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Expecting them to take Eriksson and retain $2m on OEL pretty much guarantees they walk away and possibly look at it again next offseason.  

Arizona has already paid OEL $4m in bonus’s for this season.  If they take Eriksson at $1m for this year and retain $2m they’re up over $6m (24% of the remaining $4.25m owed is just over $1m) So just those components of the trade eat up almost all of the actual $ they’d save this year trading him.  Add in something else other than a pick and the savings for this year is gone.  

At that point they may as well keep the better player for another year and see what his trade list looks like next offseason. 

And I'm fine with that.

1 minute ago, zduck14 said:

I know I can probably look it up but I feel I'll get much simpler answers here, lol. Is it possible for a team to retain a percentage of a players cap hit only? Or does the retention apply to both the cap hit AND the actual salary?

I feel like Arizona could and would be willing to retain 1-1.5 million in cap hit alone if Vancouver was willing to cover the total actual salary costs. By doing that, and getting OEL at a 6.75 cap hit, it would be a win-win for both sides. ARI gets some salary cap eaten up while savings a lot of money in the long run.

It applies equally to the cap hit and the dollars owed. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I doubt they're just sitting around completely ignoring other options and targets. Unfounded fear IMO.

Of course not but this is going to be a game of musical chairs unlike most years. Everyteam has their first options & players looking for good contracts can't wait around. You hear the news about Toffoli & he's the exact example. (not to say he can't come back, but he'll have suitors)

13 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Something along the lines like...i didnt realize players with nmc's get to set deadlines but i guess they do. 

Hah! Actually I think a NMC is exactly what gives them the ability to do that :bigblush:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

True, but having top tier players, particularly defence, is a nice problem to have. 

I suspect AZ's GM is not going to make a trade that doesn't have a splashy return. But he's also created a problem for his team if he doesn't move OEL. Nice way to poop the bed as a new GM :lol:

Your first loss is often your best one, the longer he leaves it the worse it gets for him especially if owners tell him to get shot of the contract. 

he should have held his nose taken the early offer, by trying to squeeze out more he most likely is going to get squeezed 

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

What did he say? 

Quote from the NHL article:

Coyotes general manager Bill Armstrong, speaking after the first round of the NHL Draft on Tuesday, said he understands the approach Ekman-Larsson's agent is taking.

"You know when you have the no-trade clause, you can do what you want," Armstrong. said.  "They can set deadlines too, and there's nothing I could do to control that. That's just something that they wanted to get accomplished, and I guess they did on their end.

"Oliver Ekman-Larsson is a great person. He's our captain. It's a situation where his agent is doing the best for him what he can and he thinks is right, and we're doing what's best for our organization. It's one of those things that will work itself out in the end."

I highly doubt we will get OEL as he would cost more then we want to pay plus would have to give up to much, unless we can cut costs somewhere and have a trade that did not take away to muc from our team

then what line would he be one and not resigning stetcher what left handed d would be on the right side, would maybe take us another trade to sort out our D or free agency

I would love to have him so hope benning can do benning things and get it done

6 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Speculation on 650 that if Marky gets wooed by Calgary, they will then approach Arizona to see if OEL will add Calgary to his list.  Apparently he and Marky are best buddies.

Dude! That would suck for us. Not cool. Calgary would be the best team in Canada at that point.

• Wat 1

8 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Speculation on 650 that if Marky gets wooed by Calgary, they will then approach Arizona to see if OEL will add Calgary to his list.  Apparently he and Marky are best buddies.

You know what, at this point I'm feed up with both the Coyotes and Marky. Both of them can go exile themselves to Calgary for all I care. Time to move on. 

• Haha 2