The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks looking to move Jake Virtanen

39 minutes ago, Pears said:

And how many 4C’s have that speed and Beagle’s faceoff and PK ability?

We have to sacrifice somewhere to sign/resign higher priority players.

If we can't find a cheaper replacement then we let Sutter be 4C or find out what we have in Graovac.  

(i didn't say we need to move Beagle... i said we need to move 2 of the group of 4 i listed)

Our PK is way too passive (slow skaters?) forcing us to spend long shifts in our end anyway.

Edited by Jayinblack

7 minutes ago, BPA said:

Would rather develop JV into Motte 2.0.   Would have the wheels to aggressively forecheck and hound the puck.

But...alas.  Don't think it's in JV make up to be that kind of player.

he would have been that by now.

I don't know where the right fit is with Jake.... maybe beside Brady Tkachuk? 

Personally, I think it would be a HUGE mistake to give up on him this early.

Benning expected more from Jake, so did I and every fan, but you know who else I expected more from? Our overpaid veterans that were supposed to be leading this team.

He had himself a breakout year and was on pace for 40+ points prior to the covid lockdown.

Right now, he's worth his contract. I can't say that about many players on this team.

Tell Jake to train with the Sedin's this offseason and come back in the best shape of your life.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Bell said:

To all the Jake haters, sounds like you are going to get your wish.  He wasn't great in the playoffs but in two years we are going to wish we never shipped him out.

There are some Jake haters out there for sure, but I really think that a move would be good for the team and the player.  

I can definitely see him hitting 30 goals on a team like Ottawa or Buffalo or Detroit. 

Jake needs more ice time and to move away from home. 

12 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Benning expected more from Jake, so did I and every fan, but you know who else I expected more from? Our overpaid veterans that were supposed to be leading this team.

He had himself a breakout year and was on pace for 40+ points prior to the covid lockdown.

Right now, he's worth his contract. I can't say that about many players on this team.

Tell Jake to train with the Sedin's this offseason and come back in the best shape of your life.

Jakes biggest problem is Jake. Coach and management are probably at whits end with the kid. All the skill in the world, terrible work ethic... Sometimes you just gotta move on. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Podkolzin will be everything we want Jake to be. Gotta move Jake before Podkolzin gets here. Don't want his lack of intensity rubbing off on Pods.

Doubt it would. but jake is bad for team standards lol 

Edited by Rush17
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tystick said:

I think that worry is simply FOMO. I believe he could still be successful still, but just can't see it being here. Perhaps it's the fact that he's in his hometown. If we can sell a team on Jake and dump Eriksson in the process, then we could lock up our big 3 UFAs with ease. With MacEwen, Lind and Podkolzin all likely being able to replace what Jake is providing now, it would be a smaller price to pay to help improve the team. Even if Jake flourishes elsewhere, it's no guarantee it would happen here.

I'd like to see a situation where we keep him and he does find another level, but I am comfortable at this point to have him be used to shed cap which in turn helps us with our overall team.

Benning has always said that he wants to see this team in the playoffs to further assess the team and make the right adjustments. I don't think Jake has impressed him.

6 hours ago, timberz21 said:

But it's not all about this year or the next one.   How long will Tanev be able follow and compliments Hughes?  Soon it will be Hughes carrying Tanev around.  Therefore, we need to look further down the road and ask our self if we wouldn't be better with a cheaper version of Tanev, even if he's not as good.  Capwise, it might be the way to go.

Well it all depends on term and prices with every deal no? a 3 year Tanev deal is fine...a 5 year not so much. 

I'm not really for moving him, but I'm not against him either. Depends on what deals are out there I suppose. 

I think he could be a valuable piece for us, but at the same time he can be extremely frustrating as a player. Really wanted more from him during the playoffs, even in a bottom six role. 

• Cheers 1

I could see Ottawa being a trading partner.  They have 3 1st Rd picks and 4 2nd Rd picks.  Even if they give up 1 of those seven picks, that can help accelerate their competitiveness.

For better or worse, Jake's regular season performance shows he's at least an NHL player.  He might gel well with someone like Brady Tkachuk who naturally does more of the kind of work Jake was hoped to do.  I think Jake's someone who will get involved physically but he's not the guy to lead others into a fight.  It might be worth a shot for the Senators for a pick that might not otherwise pan out.

They have quite a few RFAs with arbitration rights.  Can't see the Canucks being interested in taking any of those guys back pre-arbitration, but it's an intriguing option if the Canucks can put together a deal that gets Eriksson's (or even Ferland's) full contract over to the Senators.