The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens sign Tyler Toffoli

2 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

I bet you markstrom will win a Vezina in Calgary.  

I don't get the people saying the Markstrom contract sucks.  Look at the contracts of other #1s in the league,  Markstrom at 6 million is a damn good deal.

I think the Markstrom contract is fine, but Demko has always been our goalie of the future, so I was fine letting Marky go because his cap hit hurts for the future petey and hughes contracts.  If we had no Demko, I'd sign Marky to that deal in a second.

Edited by FireGillis
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

How do you know they aren’t working on something else’s OEL or nothing hey? If that was they case I’m JB would have just overpaid then 

I don't and I hope I am wrong. But this off-season has been terrible so far. Now if JB works his magic and bring in a young RHD, and I am more than happy to eat crow for what I posted.

2 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

....weren't we a winning team before the Toffoli trade? Pretty sure we were in the playoff race the entire season, not just the last 17 games of the season. 

Demko replaces Marky, supported by Holtby, no biggie. A wash.

Virtanen, Leivo, Lind, Hoz, all can help fill Toffoli's spot, heck that spot wasn't even his anyways. More than enough forward depth to cover his departure.

The only one so far that hurts us is losing Tanev. He's the only one we have not covered the loss for. But there are options out there via trade and UFA. You have to think Benning has some contingencies in place.

It's not as grim as it seems!!

I forgot about Leivo.  He was playing well just before injury. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Because Benning is actually planning for what he has to deal with not just this season but in the season(s) where Hughes & EP contract's have to be extended.  It essentially means short-term pain for long-term gain.  Most GM's only think about the short-term as their job security depends on that.  Disagree with what Benning all you want, but he's acting on the team's best long range interests and not HIS own short-term interests.

Can't have too many players on longer term deals.

We have so many contracts expiring over the next 1-2 years though. The only players signed after Hughes and Pettersson get their extensions are Horvat, Miller, Myers and Ferland on LTIR. Why wouldn’t we want to have a Top-6 winger signed to a 4 year deal at a less than expected AAV, as most fans were thinking Toffoli would come in at around $5M and not the bargain $4.25M.

Just now, Me_ said:

When you have Demko...

And Vezina recipient Holtby...

I mean...

I don't know what you're getting at here.

Holtby has been declining past 2 seasons.  He was a legitimate stud though.  But Samsonov stole his job and was lights out last season.

Demko has had double hip surgery before the age of 23.  

To choose Demko over Markstrom was not what I would have done but he definitely has the potential to he a top tier goalie in the NHL.  Its just a riskier choice.  Especially after spending 7 years developing Markstrom just to let him walk to a division rival right at the beginning of his prime

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

One trade for a defencemen changes everything and we continue to grow this team 

Exactly.

Things seem dire right now but we only really need to replace Tanev and get maybe a small upgrade to our bottom pair and we can be as good as last season. 

And that’s without even accounting for some surprises in training camp and improvement from young core players.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

Geez... what price to ditch bad contracts would have been too much in context of all of this.  Could we trade for a Toffoli equivalent for a 2nd round pick?  Couldn't we have gotten rid of Sutter for a 2nd round pick and signed Toffoli at that price to achieve the same thing.

If we had have gotten anything for Virtanen and not been facing anarb case for $3 million we could have signed Toffoli at that price. plus have space for a D man.

So far it has been a disaster of an offseason so far.  We have enough money for one player and we badly need 3 important pieces.

It absolutely would have been possible to trade Virtanen for a low return or even send out Baertschi with him as a small cap dump and get nothing back.

Then we could have signed Toffoli and Stecher for a combined $6 million (or less to stay where they are comfortable and had a good fit)... we still would have had money left over for another good player.

I can't see anyone on the team being at all happy with completely destroying any forward momentum when they were all so excited about what they did in the playoffs and were eager to get back at it.  No one can be less impressed than Horvat who has to swim upstream for another season or two with no legitimate top 6 players on his wings.

As much as Benning had leverage in the OEL trade negotiations, every other GM has that much leverage over him right now, knowing he has no options but to find a way to somehow create a reasonable NHL roster before the season starts.

He can prove us all wrong, but the onus is on him to actually do it as he hasn't effectively done anything yet this offseason aside from not overpay for a couple guys... but not been unable to replace them even though there have been many bargains out there.

Benning has been working relentlessly looking to clear cap space - LeBrun says no stone has been left unturned.  There are no takers.  Can't force a team to take players they don't want.  

Why would a team take Virtanen and Baertschi at over 6M when they can get a free agent like Toffoli at 4.25M?  

Edited by mll
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ruilin96 said:

I don't and I hope I am wrong. But this off-season has been terrible so far. Now if JB works his magic and bring in a young RHD, and I am more than happy to eat crow for what I posted.

Fair. I think most of us are disappointed at losing some these guys. But they are also getting NTC NMC. I guess the way Jim operates is changing.

I hope we do too man I hope we do 

2 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

....weren't we a winning team before the Toffoli trade? Pretty sure we were in the playoff race the entire season, not just the last 17 games of the season. 

Demko replaces Marky, supported by Holtby, no biggie. A wash.

Virtanen, Leivo, Lind, Hoz, all can help fill Toffoli's spot, heck that spot wasn't even his anyways. More than enough forward depth to cover his departure.

The only one so far that hurts us is losing Tanev. He's the only one we have not covered the loss for. But there are options out there via trade and UFA. You have to think Benning has some contingencies in place.

It's not as grim as it seems!!

The problem is that even if we can find a Tanev replacement and "break even" heading into next season, we were barely a playoff team last year. And now we'll be going into the season without our MVP of the last two seasons.

1 hour ago, captainhorvat said:

We couldn’t offer him that? WTF U DOIN BENNING???

I wouldn't be surprised if the fact JB asked everyone to wait while he figured out he OEL deal that never happened may have left a bad taste in a few players mouths. Sucks but that's the price we pay I guess...

33 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Totally, same here...i'm not sure what is happening!? But the only obvious thing from all of this is that he does not want long term contracts on the team. He wants to be able to protect his young guns come expansion draft, and also have the cap to sign them? Who knows, maybe something else is brewing?

I that is exactly right. GMJB is making sure that 2 years out he has all the cap space and flexibility to sign some big contracts.  I have no problem with refusing to sign 2nd line wingers to 4 yr deals, much though I like Toffoli.  Play the long game and wait for bargain deals when cap strapped teams have to shed cap space and salary. 

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, Frigid said:

The Canucks need to take a step back this year. As much as people want to keep rolling on last season's playoff surprise, the multitude of bad contracts mean the team has to hang low in order to re-sign our key talent moving forward. The best way to get money off our books is to hang tight and let money expire because the flat cap has obliterated the trade market. Benning has been instrumental in bringing in huge assets while also handcuffing the team to overpaid questionable assets. Moving forward, money needs to be moved off the books before money can be added back on again.

I think the biggest contract that needs to be moved off the books is Bennings lol. Once the team has cap space, he’ll end up shelling out millions to bottom six forwards and bottom pairing defensemen. 

• Wat 1