The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

I would say our top four is now set with Hughes, Schmidt, Edler and Myers. The question now is how will our third pairing look. Based on Benning's comments, I feel there will be an internal battle between Benn/Juolevi/Rathbone/Rafferty/Chatfield for those spots rather than looking externally via trade or free agency.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

They lost Stastny, Eakin, Cousins, and Schmidt and gained Pietrangelo.  In addition, they still need to lose more salary to get under the cap.

Not quite sure how taking their #2 dman for a 3rd rounder 2 years from now equates to picking up their crumbs or smells of desperation but you keep doing you.

In my view Theodore stood out in Vegas. 

If we had got him I would be really quiet. 

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Markstrom and Ekman-larsson are friends... OEL winds up putting us on his list of two....

Holtby and Schmidt are friends...Schmidt winds up landing here.

What's with the goaltender gravity?

Thatcher.....who your friends with!?

Alex Tuch...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Timråfan said:

In my view Theodore stood out in Vegas. 

If we had got him I would be really quiet. 

You were really quiet for a while after Dahlen got shipped out and was never heard from again, after SJ threw him away.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Exactly.

This move handcuffs us and keeps us behind a bunch of clubs in the conference.  

What exactly are you talking about?  What does trading for a bonafide top 2 RHD that’s signed to a reasonable contract do to handcuff?  The Canucks do not currently have any stud RHD in waiting and the only ones scheduled for FA status in the next 3 seasons are Hamilton, Subban, or Letang.

Since you’re obviously in full blown whining and complaining mode, why not try suggesting a fix that would put the team ahead of others in the conference.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah that's why I said maybe by the end of the year. He's still a rookie, there will be some bumps in the road. He could be a darkhorse but he's a prospect that's really hard to get a grasp on from a potential standpoint. 

Stecher is more established and is more of a safe bet to be better next season.

stecher is a smurf he got man handled by vegas  juolevi at least has size and good hockey iq

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

There’s only one Pietrangelo and you can’t simply go out and just buy a player like him.

I can guarantee that player isn’t currently in our system either and the rookies we do have are going to have to earn it.

As for being behind Vegas that was always going to be the case no matter who we signed. They’re a cup favourite while we are just approaching our window to contend. The majority of the teams in the league are behind Vegas.

Doesnt mean Schmidt is not a good player and he certainly helps move the needle in the right direction for us.

I can agree that Schmidt is an upgrade. But both his and Myers contracts are long.

• Wat 2

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Markstrom and Ekman-larsson are friends... OEL winds up putting us on his list of two....

Holtby and Schmidt are friends...Schmidt winds up landing here.

What's with the goaltender gravity?

Thatcher.....who your friends with!?

During the COVID break Thatcher would stream NHL on twitch. He is really good friends with Chris Kreider. They train together in off-season. Also good friends with Big Mac and Breezer. They were all playing NHL together. FYI Kreider and Mac are ragers on video games, Kreider even going as far as saying he's almost treating NHL 20 games like real ones.

This was prior to Mac's fathers passing.

Got to ask them a bunch of questions which was cool. Demko are Breezer are funny guys. Demko's player name was Jay Beagle.

Unfortunately Demko stopped streaming but Gaudette still does. He plays COD Warzone with his own friends though.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

During the COVID break Thatcher would stream NHL on twitch. He is really good friends with Chris Kreider. They train together in off-season. Also good friends with Big Mac and Breezer. They were all playing NHL together. FYI Kreider and Mac are ragers on video games, Kreider even going as far as saying he's almost treating NHL 20 games like real ones.

This was prior to Mac's fathers passing.

Got to ask them a bunch of questions which was cool. Demko are Breezer are funny guys. Demko's player name was Jay Beagle.

Unfortunately Demko stopped streaming but Gaudette still does. He plays COD Warzone with his own friends though.

damn.

Now we're talking.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I haven't a problem using our young players and let them get experiance the next season to know how good they can be. 

Now we have 2 players that can play on the right for 12 mill but none of them is what we needed. 

We need a rhd that get us past Vegas. That is what I'm talking about crumbs. This move holds us behind Vegas and is an obstacle finding our own Piateangelo. 

I rather spend 10 mill on one player like Pietrangelo than 6 mill on Schmidt and Myers... 

You seriously think that the reason why the canucks didn't get passed vgk is because of the lack of top RHD?

:lol::lol:

so, when Pietrangelo is injured, you'd rather  2million dollar rhd move up and take his minutes?:blink:

Pietrangelo, Theodore, Mcnabb, Martinez,Holden, Dahlstrom, Whitecloud

Or

Hughes, Myers, Schmidt, Edler, OJ, Benn, Tryamkin( eventually)

See attached image as to why vgk beat the canucks.

Screenshot_20201012-223600_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Thanks. Appreciated. 

The meh part is a genuine response to being this far into free agency, but somehow down a pick, but loaded up with another 6x6 for a sub 200lb Dman meant to replace/upgrade Tanev or Stetcher. 

I get that many fans will be excited by a shiny new toy coming in hot with fancy offensive stats, but do people forget who (which Dman) we scored against on Vegas the most (I think... I just remember being happy whenever 88 was defending against the Canucks because it meant we had a better chance of scoring)? It was this guy. 

It’s an upgrade that came at a minor cost, but also coming during the first few days of free agency where you can typically shop without surrendering picks. I get that it was slim pickings this year, in a sense, but a 6x6?

My first reaction was, meh - ok, it’s a decent player I guess, but... Wtf JB? That’s a lot of money and term for a very unphysical, undersized, and not especially sound defensively-Dman who was part of the reason we won some games against Vegas. This, after loosing two inexpensive decent Dmen who played bigger than they were (Tanev wasn’t physical but could absorb and never ducked a hit making a play).

The contract isn’t all that great. I haven’t read anything in here yet, but I assume there will be some posters ripping on the remaining 6x6. Ripping on the player is probably not happening because if you haven’t noticed, 99% of posters here don’t actually follow hockey outside of the Canucks, and even though most of that 99% just watched this kid for 7 games, how many actually watched him? Lol Probably just as few, otherwise there’d be a whole whack of posts saying we jumped the gun here. I mean it’s not that far from AP term and money. Think about that. Paying stud money for meh. 

I don’t mind the trade. We only gave up (another) 3rd rounder, but my first point is that in a time free agency, why? Well I’m sure JB has his reasons. If we are paying 3rd rounders to take on not-so-great contracts during the first few days of FA, then I’m not sure I like the strategy. And when the player is another softish, I don’t block shots or hit kind of guy, the guy - well, the one D pairing on Vegas which we just dominated in the playoffs, it just doesn’t add up or replace what just walked out the door for the same cost on less term. I guess a guy could have waited another year before finding our next LE. 

In the end, he’s now a Canuck and I trust JB didn’t just make a bad move. I’m happy to have another NHL Dman signed, which is a relief for sure, but this guy isn’t here to play a style I want to watch, so... meh. 

So much for Foote or Savard or whoever. 
Sign Chara and all will be forgiven, JB. 

It's all in how you look at it. The way I see it is he gets plugged in and he gets shown how he kept being victimized when he was on the ice and he becomes a better player. Plus we haven't had much success vs Vegas in the seasons. It would be nice to see someone on our side play them with a massive chip on their shoulder.