The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Greater Vancouver Poll

Ms.Glitter

Your favorite town in Greater Vancouver  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I’m sure everyone is partial to either where they live or where they’re from. Me, I love mountains, rivers and forests. But having the option to easily go to the city, the interior, the okanagan or the USA. So definitely not the north or the island. Loved Kits when I lived there, but that was in my younger days when I enjoyed the night life. :-) 

• Thanks 1

Surrey. Its centrally located between all the other cities. You can do whatever you want wherever you want.

langleys 10 mins away

deltas 10 mins away

maple ridge 25 mins away

burnaby 20 mins

new west 15 mins

richmonds 20 mins

vancouver/s  30 mins

tswassen 15 mins away

abbotsford 45 mins away

mission 50 mins away

whistler 2+ hours

bellingham's 25 mins away

seattle less than 2 hours

Edited by internationalhippy
  • Like 1

No love for POCO in here haha... good thing I am just across the border in Coquitlam which is the best municipality in my bias view. 

lots of mountains and lakes. ocean inlet via port moody at rocky point.. it is basically in the same area. skytrain accessible. plus many areas are still slightly more affordable than port moody or burnaby.

• Cheers 1

Maple Ridge is right next to the mountains, A bunch of Lakes, campgrounds and Alouette Lake in particular. Hell ever since the bridge opened the lakes/campgrounds have been packed so y'all like it here too in the summer. We also live on a ridge and look down upon you all from across the Frazer heh.

We also had Roosters(Pitt/Ridge) which was a good stomping grounds as a young adult. A lot of people from Mission/Abby/Langley/Coquitlam would go there. Oak and Thorne in Langley wasn't bad either though. People who own Oak and Thorne bought Roosters. Can't beat the nightlife downtown Van though.

Not a lot of stores though which is a drawback. Coquitlam Center is the closest mall and Costco is in PoCo. Best nearby breweries are in Moody. We got some good restaurants though. Ridge isn't far from Mission and Abby too and they got a bunch of good/secret spots for cliff jumping that I won't disclose..

Overall Maple Ridge is an excellent summer/outdoorsy town but lacks a good shopping center and skytrain. It is expanding though eastwards from 240th and on. A lot of undeveloped land here.

When I move out I'll probably look at places in Coquitlam though. Skytrain is a huge plus and it is right next to the mall and a lot of good stores. Coquitlam is kind of in the middle/top of everything.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, gurn said:

pointless as everyone already knows the answer is "none of the above".

I just like making polls, I think it's fun.  I get to hold my own elections online.   People are sharing interesting things about the local neighbourhoods etc.

Edited by Ms.Glitter
  • Upvote 1

Steveston and New West in terms of hidden gems for visiting (the Quay and Garry Point, plus the quaint little village are quite beautiful on summer days, and before the fire that destroyed it I quite like the Waterfront Park in New West.  Nice to stop by there, take in the view and chill in a hammock or play some volleyball).

Side note, I honestly only realized where Port Moody was this month haha.  Always thought it was out in like Chilliwack area but then had to do business out there and Googled and realized it was closer than Coquitlam haha (shout out to Coquitlam too for Korean food).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

Yeah, never lived in Port Moody full time but it’s the most desirable spot to me. Hiking trails and lakes nearby, short drive into Vancouver, restaurants and breweries abound, etc.

I've lived in Suter Brook since 2018 and its such a great little village-vibe. Breweries are walkable, lakes are a 10 minute drive, Skytrain to Vancouver, and still feels small/safe, etc.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

This was an article from years ago....they wanted to develop "Garry Point" (before it was even named as such).  The plan was to permanently close off public access and make a superport. The west dyke was also going to be closed off/no access!  (I'd run there every night for years when I was young...it was such a special place to me...I had no idea how close we came to losing it!).

Dad was the Steveston fisherman friend of Harold Steves referred to here (they grew up together).  Harold got a lot of resistance from council that scoffed at the idea that anyone would ever use a park or trail in that location.  Said it was ridiculous (back then it was a cannery/fishing town).  Boy were they wrong....it's the gem of Richmond now and a huge tourist draw.  The cherry blossoms in spring are amazing!  

I didn't even know about any of this until I saw Harold one day (recently) when I was going for a walk and saw him.  We always would have a little chat and he askd where I was going and when I said Garry Point he said "you can thank your Dad for that".  ???   I didn't know what he was talking about, so he told me. 

I had no idea.  When I searched the archives of the paper I found this article.

So now when I'm up there I always stop and think of how grateful I am that my Dad really cared ... this was his/our back yard for decades.   The west dyke is now officially a sensitive wildlife protection area as well...all started by Dad's observant eye when he noticed stakes with pink ribbons and knew that meant trouble!  Was all going to be pushed through rather quietly before anyone even realized what was happening!  Whew, dodged a bullet.  My favourite place on earth, I used to always see my Grandfather up there..walking counter clockwise to everyone else!

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We also had Roosters(Pitt/Ridge) which was a good stomping grounds as a young adult. A lot of people from Mission/Abby/Langley/Coquitlam would go there. Oak and Thorne in Langley wasn't bad either though. People who own Oak and Thorne bought Roosters. Can't beat the nightlife downtown Van though.

Roosters... the memories.. How can you go wrong with Thursday night $1 coronas and Budweiser (for the price of course). A lot of fun times in my younger days there for sure.

Edited by Ronaldoescobar

1 minute ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Roosters... the memories.. How can you go wrong with Thursday night $1 coronas and Budweiser (for the price of course). A lot of fun times in my younger days there for sure.

It was the spot for people who were too far from Vancouver and still wanted that nightlife feel. Fun wild times that I look forward to again once COVID ends. Maybe a little more tame than I was before though haha. Hopefully whatever the new owners do they keep some of those aspects Roosters had.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Is there anywhere in the Lower Mainland that has GOOD traffic? 

Just different degrees of what's bearable I think.

I love the Vancouver Regional District.

It's just too crowded. 

Yeah, Highway 1 in Abby can get pretty bad during rush hour, but I find that the city roads are a little more bearable. Basically gets worse the further west you go. I also have a soft spot for Abbotsford, having been born and raised there.

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I've lived in Suter Brook since 2018 and its such a great little village-vibe. Breweries are walkable, lakes are a 10 minute drive, Skytrain to Vancouver, and still feels small/safe, etc.

Great spot. I’ve always felt it reminded me a bit of a suburban Yaletown, and that’s the spot I think of when I say Port Moody is the most liveable. You’re a lucky/smart guy for getting a place there.