The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

11 hours ago, TheAce said:

read this as well, it shows that even Liberal MP's were questioning things that were going on.....  people can make all the excuses they want, but Canada was very slow to act and political correctness was a key factor in the decision making

I guess I need to see what the alternative would have had to be, shut down all border and ways of entry into Canada mid-January? strand 1 million Canadians abroad? thats the only way we could have "closed" the border to this thing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

After Brazilian president Bolsonaro's statements this week and Trumps insistence on opening the nation asap I am genuinely stunned

Considering the two sources, I am not.....

This is why I take issue with those who defend Trump by pointing out how quick he was to close the border to China. On the surface, it seems like a smart move, but how's that working out for the US?

Over the course of this thread, we've seen several models that show social distancing to be far more important than the closing of borders. Yet, as quick as Trump was to jump on border closure, he was very slow at reinforcing the need for social distancing and went so far as to downplay the severity of the pandemic, for no other reason than to try and make himeself look better. His entire reaction has been one of attempting to deflect responsibility:

200328032656-04-opinion-weekly-column-03

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I've seen other airports, though, that take temperatures before people are sent through.

I'm not sure about "not having authority" - I mean, they surely could put measures in place that "ensured" rather than "hoped" people were deemed safe.  If they have the authority to haul people in because they don't have enough money or a job and are "a risk" I really don't buy that they couldn't also screen better.  That's border security...so maybe my frustration is somewhat displaced.

Grocery stores have lines on the floor and policies in place.  Drugstores.  An airport should be trying harder ... but it is just my opinion.

Saw a post from a woman picking up her daughter and it's very concerning.  

I think this is one of those areas where we need to learn and put the authority and resources in place at our airports for sure. TBH I don't think the people at VYR had the training or resources to do much more, which is a major gap. 

Prevention planning is about #135 on the budget items for most organizations, clearly that needs to change. 

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think this is one of those areas where we need to learn and put the authority and resources in place at our airports for sure. TBH I don't think the people at VYR had the training or resources to do much more, which is a major gap. 

Prevention planning is about #135 on the budget items for most organizations, clearly that needs to change. 

Absolutely agree.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Considering the two sources, I am not.....

This is why I take issue with those who defend Trump by pointing out how quick he was to close the border to China. On the surface, it seems like a smart move, but how's that working out for the US?

Over the course of this thread, we've seen several models that show social distancing to be far more important than the closing of borders. Yet, as quick as Trump was to jump on border closure, he was very slow at reinforcing the need for social distancing and went so far as to downplay the severity of the pandemic, for no other reason than to try and make himeself look better. His entire reaction has been one of attempting to deflect responsibility:

200328032656-04-opinion-weekly-column-03

Remeber it was Iran first, then China, then Europe (but not Great Britian).  It's as if he was banning travel based on vendettas first and pandemic 2nd.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Absolutely agree.

I wonder if there will be stories of VYR employees feeling totally frustrated and useless during this thing? I tend to believe most of us want to do the right things and help all we can but get frustrated by dumb systems and occasionally an inept boss. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess I need to see what the alternative would have had to be, shut down all border and ways of entry into Canada mid-January? strand 1 million Canadians abroad? thats the only way we could have "closed" the border to this thing. 

almost everything any authority ended up doing

could have been done better

i think we can all accept that as reasonably accurate

not sure why at this time the focus is on minor or lesser errors/mistakes

these are evident

feels a bit like nitpicking

or a method for people simply to express their personal unhappiness

unless there have been bigger mistakes made before

that are hampering the current situation

let's deal with these mistakes once we are past the current crisis

i think jimmy has already posted this earlier

i think this is wise

if we can do better in the future by learning from this crisis, great

the current effort and energy needs to be on what we are doing now

and how we can best move forward

not sure why there is not equal or more posting about the good things that have been done locally

there is a lot of support of the clapping response directed to doctors/nurses/etc nightly

less positive commentary towards the key decision makers (those tend to be targets for negative stuff)

the trends look reasonably positive here

so far so good

things could still take a downward turn

but more likely they will not

let's try to stay postiive

and stay safe

social distance and hand wash, disinfect surfaces

get out and enjoy the sun (responsibiy)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

so some current testing numbers just for context. 

South Korea has now tested 394,000 people

(https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/japan-targets-coronavirus-testing-while-south-korea-goes-big-the-us-faces-which-path-to-take/2020/03/28/97e81b44-6eb6-11ea-a156-0048b62cdb51_story.html).

Canada has now tested 205,000 people

( https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19.html)

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/coronavirus-controversial-malaria-drug-hydroxychloroquine-tested-at-bc-seniors-home/ar-BB11OHv4?OCID=ems.display.welcomeexperience

A controversial anti-malaria drug is being trialed as a therapy for COVID-19 at the B.C. seniors' care home at the epicentre of the province's novel coronavirus outbreak.

Global News has confirmed that residents of the Lynn Valley Care Centre are receiving hydroxychloroquine as a part of an international study on the effectiveness of the drug.
Forty-six residents and 24 staff at the facility have tested positive for COVID-19. The drug is being administered to all residents of the virus-stricken building known as "the lodge" at the care home, with the exception of those who opted out of the trial.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6743283/coronavirus-malaria-drug-research/

“Preliminary studies have strongly suggested that hydroxychloroquine can reduce the ability of the virus to replicate,” said Zarychanski. “It’s not known if it has the same effect in humans, but it’s the team’s goal to find out.” The trials began March 26 in Manitoba and Quebec, and similar trials are also underway in the United States. Alberta and other provinces are expected to join within a few days.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6718833/quebec-based-pharmaceutical-company-donates-one-million-doses-of-malaria-drug-for-covid-19-patients-across-Canada/

Boucherville-based JAMP Pharma is donating one million doses of hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) to hospitals across Canada in the fight against COVID-19.  The drug was designed to treat malaria and patients with certain autoimmune diseases, but is now considered a possible treatment for COVID-19 patients with moderate to severe respiratory distress. “We’re certainly not trying to suggest it’s a miracle drug,” said managing director for Orimed Pharma and JAMP Group Biosimilars Bruno Mader, since HCQ hasn’t yet been approved by Health Canada for this use. One preliminary study of HCQ in patients who have contracted the virus is considered promising in the fight against COVID-19. “We have product and we decided that we’d make a contribution to the effort,” said Mader. The company started the process to ship the doses to hospitals across Canada on Monday. Patients who currently use HCQ for other ailments such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus are told they won’t be affected. “We’re considered an essential service,” said Mader. “We still have teams producing and distributing.” 

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Just a thought....you can build all the ventilators and temporary hospitals you want but where are going to get the doctors and ICU trained nurses. 

One move so far has been to get all recently retired doctors and nurses to re-up and join the front lines. That’ll help but I fear it won’t be enough.

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, nucksnavsfan said:

One move so far has been to get all recently retired doctors and nurses to re-up and join the front lines. That’ll help but I fear it won’t be enough.

Have to give those people “double credit/props” for not just coming out of retirement but consider they’ll be also the age group more suspectible in catching the virus from treating those patients.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1