The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

I just got back from Costco Brighton. Would you like a mask? It's not mandatory, but would you like one? I have one in my purse, 50 feet inside the building she's still walking around without a mask. $&!# like this pisses me off, and I'm surprised retailers aren't more demanding of their customers. All the staff is wearing a mask, washing and sanitizing carts, belts, and just about everything else they can do. Entitled and ignorant. I was also at a Royal Bank on Saturday, one of the tellers was on a rant about wearing a mask, she says they fog up my glasses. Meanwhile all her clients were wearing masks. I don't get it!

If you're in England and you want to catch a buzz.....B)

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/13/europe/cornwall-pub-electric-fence-gbr-intl/index.html

Businesses have had to embrace social distancing during the pandemic, and perhaps none more so than an English pub which installed an electric fence to keep thirsty customers at bay.

Jonny McFadden, who runs the Star Inn in St Just, Cornwall, told CNN that he installed the electric fence in front of the pub's bar for social distancing purposes.
"It's a very small pub, the first and last rural pub in Cornwall," he said.
England's pubs were allowed to reopen their doors on July 4, after being closed during the UK lockdown. Social distancing remains mandatory, and customers must hand over their contact details before they enter to help with coronavirus tracking if needed.
McFadden told CNN that the idea to use the fence came as he was preparing to reopen the pub.
"To protect staff and myself and my customers you have to put in the meter [distancing] rule," he said.
McFadden said he wanted "to put some rope, or chain" to make sure customers kept back from staff at the bar but couldn't find suitable equipment.
"I thought, this is not going to keep them [the customers] back," he said. So instead, he opted for the fence to see "what that does."
The fence is not usually turned on, but the sight of it has managed to deter some customers from crowding near staff.
"It's not on but it's got the desired effect that everybody thinks it's on and they keep well away from it. It's the fear factor. It's working very well," McFadden said.

4 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Reminder that it's not just the deaths...

4b04cf9.jpg

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

^^ So glad someone put all the numbers together like that.

special note to athletes- 10 people get permanent lung damage for every death.

Truly f in serious stuff here folks.

Just one small caveat... this assumes every single person gets infected by Covid.  In this instance, that's not out of the realm of possibility.

51 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Just one small caveat... this assumes every single person gets infected by Covid.  In this instance, that's not out of the realm of possibility.

Way back, in the long ago, when this first got going the Canadian government gave an estimate of between 30-70% would get covid.

I just split that down the middle for a rough estimate

Edited by gurn

Really wondering if the BC gov dropped the ball on our re-opening strategy.....

We had such a great start.... . shame if we f..... ed it up the last 2 months.....

B.C. records 62 new COVID-19 cases, two deaths since Friday

21 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Really wondering if the BC gov dropped the ball on our re-opening strategy.....

We had such a great start.... . shame if we f..... ed it up the last 2 months.....

B.C. records 62 new COVID-19 cases, two deaths since Friday

I know the infection rate has risen slightly, but not sure that 20 +/- per day is significantly worrisome as long as the appropriate contact tracing can be done to eliminate community spread.  It's never going to be completely eradicated unless there is an effective vaccine and that may or may not ever come.  

We all need to do our part to limit the risks to ourselves and others, and that probably looks different for different people and different environments.  

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

They only need 70% for herd immunity but why get a C+ when you can go for the A

Edited by coho8888

11 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

They only need 70% for herd immunity but why get a C+ when you can go for the A

Herd immunity may not exist for this virus:

From 6 days ago

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/techandscience/lancet-study-casts-doubt-on-covid-19-herd-immunity-feasibility/ar-BB16rarH

"A Spanish study published in The Lancet journal has cast doubt over the feasibility of herd immunity — when enough people become infected with a virus to stop its spread — as a way of tackling the COVID-19 pandemic."

June 28

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/asymptomatic-covid-19-1.5629172

"

A closer look at people who tested positive for COVID-19 but never developed symptoms has found that such asymptomatic carriers have few to no detectable antibodies just weeks after infection, suggesting they may not develop lasting immunity.

There's growing evidence that a significant proportion of people who test positive for COVID-19 never show symptoms, although it's not clear what percentage of people that is and what role they play in spreading the disease.

A Chinese study published this week in Nature followed 37 people in Wanzhou District in China who did not show any outward signs of the disease, despite testing positive when their respiratory tracts were swabbed and being kept in hospital for observation.

Some key findings include:

• Levels of antibodies against COVID-19 were significantly lower in asymptomatic carriers than those with symptoms during active infection.

• Antibody levels also dropped off far more quickly in people who never showed symptoms, and 40 per cent of them had no detectable antibodies eight weeks after recovery, compared with 13 per cent of symptomatic patients.

• Those with asymptomatic infections tested positive for an average of five days longer than people with symptomatic infections — 19 days compared with 14 days — suggesting that they were shedding the virus longer."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

Herd immunity may not exist for this virus:

From 6 days ago

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/techandscience/lancet-study-casts-doubt-on-covid-19-herd-immunity-feasibility/ar-BB16rarH

"A Spanish study published in The Lancet journal has cast doubt over the feasibility of herd immunity — when enough people become infected with a virus to stop its spread — as a way of tackling the COVID-19 pandemic."

June 28

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/asymptomatic-covid-19-1.5629172

"

A closer look at people who tested positive for COVID-19 but never developed symptoms has found that such asymptomatic carriers have few to no detectable antibodies just weeks after infection, suggesting they may not develop lasting immunity.

There's growing evidence that a significant proportion of people who test positive for COVID-19 never show symptoms, although it's not clear what percentage of people that is and what role they play in spreading the disease.

A Chinese study published this week in Nature followed 37 people in Wanzhou District in China who did not show any outward signs of the disease, despite testing positive when their respiratory tracts were swabbed and being kept in hospital for observation.

Some key findings include:

• Levels of antibodies against COVID-19 were significantly lower in asymptomatic carriers than those with symptoms during active infection.

• Antibody levels also dropped off far more quickly in people who never showed symptoms, and 40 per cent of them had no detectable antibodies eight weeks after recovery, compared with 13 per cent of symptomatic patients.

• Those with asymptomatic infections tested positive for an average of five days longer than people with symptomatic infections — 19 days compared with 14 days — suggesting that they were shedding the virus longer."

Yep, I’m well aware of that.  Following other forum sites, many down south are still advocating for this because they want to go traveling again.

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Yep, I’m well aware of that.  Following other forum sites, many down south are still advocating for this because they want to go traveling again.

Hope they like traveling within the US as it's unlikely any other country will let them in for quite some time given the level of infection rate they are experiencing.  The idea that people can get reinfected within a few months doesn't bode well for their approach.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

So..

Are we allowed to get sick still or is it automatically assumed you have covid if you tell your employer you feel under the weather. I'm not sick - it is a hypothetical 

Nothing is assumed but everyone is advised not to go work when sick.  Whether or not you’ve been exposed.  I know for me, once I’m back to the office for 3 days a week, I’m staying home even if I get a slight sniffle.

• Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

So..

Are we allowed to get sick still or is it automatically assumed you have covid if you tell your employer you feel under the weather. I'm not sick - it is a hypothetical 

How do you get sick?  Viruses. Nobody should be picking any up with the current covid precautions.

That said, I hear you. If someone has food poisoning, allergies a or a migraine, it would suck for anyone to assume you have covid. 

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

So..

Lots of guys at my work still take sick days, generally on Fridays though but I doubt they have covid.....  Our work is pretty good, they will just ask if you have any symptoms and to call and get tested if they feel they need it.