The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

On 7/30/2022 at 4:27 PM, ak96 said:

This is very compelling to take the vaccine and continue the boosters.

When you convert it on a % basis it equals

0.0763% of unvaccinated need to be hospilized "with" covid

Taking two shots further reduces the risk of hospilization to 0.0486%

And if you do the right thing and protect your community to 2+ boosters it falls to  0.0403%

The risk of critical care is 0.0174% for unvaccinated 

0.0078% for double vaccinated and  0.0059% for 3+ doses.  So taking at least one booster gives you a 0.0019% better chance to stay off a ventilator.  Why wouldn't you help your odds and protect your community to save the vent to someone who actually needs it?

There is no concrete  proof of any vaccine adverse events. So that is 0.0000% with zero side effects so there should be no worries from the unvaxxed who question the science.

Also, what is scarey is the Jaimito BC charts on display doesn't even include the unvaccinated deceased who died with covid.

Since fully vaccinated,  I've only contracted covid twice ,  the unvaccinated crowd must have passed it on much more. The quoted chart shows we need a harsh lockdown till everyone has at least 3 or 4 shots.

Why do we tolerate those who have 2 shots or less?  We can move the needle from  .00174% needing  critical care to .0059%. 

Do I read the numbers right if I say 1 in 10000 would need critical care if they didn't take the vaccine 3+? 

If we take Vancouver it would mean that 66 people don't take up a place in intensive care for months if all were vaccinated 3+. 

Or?

• Cheers 1

On 7/30/2022 at 8:41 AM, gurn said:

I received an e mail last week about my 4rth shot, seems they figure, at my age bracket, it best to wait till just before fall to give me the 4th.

I'm already really, really, tired of the small but growing amount of morons on the web talking about "sudden adult death syndrome, and dropping fertility rates" and it being related to the vaccines

Trying showing some f    in evidence to support your argument, putzes.

I have a friend who I must admit is a complete moron. He's always blaming stuff on the vaccine. Everything like being tired to feeling sick. Like he refused to get the booster and got covid twice now but the says the vaccine gave it to him. Lately he kept blaming this pain in his arm/chest area for like two weeks now on the vaccine. Turns out he's 53, and a painter working 80 hour weeks who has a separated shoulder. :picard:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Holy @#$& boys and girls.  COVID finally got me 6 days ago and I'm still a wreck.  

it took out 5/7 of my employees in one day.

We had a customer in our shop last Tuesday who was coughing.  In 48 hours it hit us all.  

Edited by JustRich
  • Huggy Bear 3

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I see the Pope, media and hangers on had not trouble going maskless during a flight recently? Law for some but not others?

Private plane- different rules? Private car versus bus- different rules?

https://aleteia.org/2022/07/24/pope-departs-for-canada/

"The papal plane, an Airbus A330-202 fitted by the Italian company ITA, will allow the Pontiff to make all of his trips in conditions adapted to his mobility problems – he is expected to appear most of the time in a wheelchair because of his knee pain.

So being vaccinated and wearing mask wearing in indoor situations has an impact.   

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2794964?resultClick=3

Examination of SARS-CoV-2 In-Class Transmission at a Large Urban University With Public Health Mandates Using Epidemiological and Genomic Methodology

Key Points

Question  Is there evidence of in-class transmission of SARS-CoV-2 on a university campus that had mandated vaccination and masking?

Findings  In this cohort study of 140 000 class meetings at a large US university, there were over 850 cases of SARS-CoV-2 infection identified through weekly surveillance testing of all students and faculty on campus during the fall 2021 semester. There were 9 instances of potential in-class transmission identified as identical lineages confirmed by SARS-CoV-2 genome sequencing, and none of these instances were confirmed to be in-class transmission.

Meaning  These results suggest that in-class transmission of SAR-CoV-2 in an urban university with masking and vaccine protocols in-place was negligible.

Abstract

Importance  SARS-CoV-2, the causative agent of COVID-19, has displayed person-to-person transmission in a variety of indoor situations. This potential for robust transmission has posed significant challenges and concerns for day-to-day activities of colleges and universities where indoor learning is a focus for students, faculty, and staff.

Objective  To assess whether in-class instruction without any physical distancing, but with other public health mitigation strategies, is a risk for driving SARS-CoV-2 transmission.

Design, Setting, and Participants  This cohort study examined the evidence for SARS-CoV-2 transmission on a large urban US university campus using contact tracing, class attendance, and whole genome sequencing during the 2021 fall semester. Eligible participants were on-campus and off-campus individuals involved in campus activities. Data were analyzed between September and December 2021.

Exposures  Participation in class and work activities on a campus with mandated vaccination and indoor masking but that was otherwise fully open without physical distancing during a time of ongoing transmission of SARS-CoV-2, both at the university and in the surrounding counties.

Main Outcomes and Measures  Likelihood of in-class infection was assessed by measuring the genetic distance between all potential in-class transmission pairings using polymerase chain reaction testing.

Results  More than 600 000 polymerase chain reaction tests were conducted throughout the semester, with 896 tests (0.1%) showing detectable SARS-CoV-2; there were over 850 cases of SARS-CoV-2 infection identified through weekly surveillance testing of all students and faculty on campus during the fall 2021 semester. The rolling mean average of positive tests ranged between 4 and 27 daily cases. Of more than 140 000 in-person class events and a total student population of 33 000 between graduate and undergraduate students, only 9 instances of potential in-class transmission were identified, accounting for 0.0045% of all classroom meetings.

Conclusions and Relevance  In this cohort study, the data suggested that under robust transmission abatement strategies, in-class instruction was not an appreciable source of disease transmission.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

On 8/2/2022 at 2:25 PM, JustRich said:

Holy @#$& boys and girls.  COVID finally got me 6 days ago and I'm still a wreck.  

it took out 5/7 of my employees in one day.

We had a customer in our shop last Tuesday who was coughing.  In 48 hours it hit us all.  

Sounds like our office last spring. It hit 5 out of 6 people in a span of two weeks.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/08/10/bc-covid-wave-latest-peak/

There had been dire warnings they would potentially break B.C.’s health care system, but the BA.4 and BA.5 variants of COVID-19 don’t appear to have had that effect.

A group of independent COVID-19 modellers, made up of various experts, says it looks like the most recent wave of the pandemic has peaked...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I dare say a lot of people are now just ignoring it, going about their lives and just staying home for a few days.  Nobody is reporting positive tests taken at home anymore and the general feeling among most people I speak to is pretty minimal in regards to the levels of fear or worry

20 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Doesn't help any that BCCDC's guidance is to self-isolate until 5 days after testing if no symptoms present.  Problem is, if it's circulating within the household, chances are there's transmission back and forth, and even if there are no symptoms and it's > 5 days since testing positive, there's no guarantee that you're not still contagious/virulent.  Very short-sighted guidance by the BCCDC.

Case in point: my wife's colleague mentioned that her husband got it a couple of weeks ago (the colleague's main complaint was that they had to cancel a trip).  He was in self-isolation, but they share a house with other extended family members who live in a separate suite downstairs from them.  Ventilation being what it was, the downstairs occupants pretty much all caught it last week.  Now it's being transmitted to members of the family upstairs.  And the colleague doesn't have the sense of responsibility to self-isolate herself from the office, "because the BCCDC doesn't require it".  :picard:

My wife is freaking out every day and testing herself (and same with me) regularly to make sure we don't end up inadvertently transmitting it to her other elderly / high-risk family members.

Good friend of mine works for bc liquor store.  Was positive isolated, her parents came to stay with her to take care of her.  They went out to peachfest, did all the local events and festivities here in penticton during that week, brought food back etc.  She was mortified but they refused to listen.

They were supposed to take care of her, but instead basically exposed hundreds if not thousands over a 5 day period.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

That's just... wow.  :picard:

Hopefully most of it was outdoors events?  The dilution provided by windflow and possible disinfecting actions by UV radition might help mitigate their unbelievably selfish act.

Peach fest in Penticton is almost all outdoors.  But the parade, 5 days of concerts in the parks.  It's shoulder to shoulder and there's zero possibility if they had/have it at all or were exposed to it that they wouldn't have passed it on to someone

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

On 7/30/2022 at 7:41 AM, gurn said:

I received an e mail last week about my 4rth shot, seems they figure, at my age bracket, it best to wait till just before fall to give me the 4th.

I'm already really, really, tired of the small but growing amount of morons on the web talking about "sudden adult death syndrome, and dropping fertility rates" and it being related to the vaccines

Trying showing some f    in evidence to support your argument, putzes.

Where is the evidence showing it’s not caused by the vaxxs?!?!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

I guess the 100's of thousands of participants in the clinical trails might be a starting point. 

Edited by JM_
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Burden of proof is on the person making the claim.  If I claim I went out on a date with Caroline Cameron, people are going to be requesting proof, and me suggesting there is no proof that I didn't isn't going to convince anyone.

• Cheers 2