The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I don't know enough about the science behind the rapid tests, but I think if you look at it from a probability perspective (which I will be the first to admit that i'm not that well-read on Prob/Stats stuff either), if the incumbents were to be tested at the beginning of each shift and the end of each shift (plus maybe one in the middle of the shift), that would likely reduce the instance of false negatives.  Additionally, I suspect false negatives could also be a consequence of low(er) viral load, and I would think that as long as the sensitivity of the rapid test was high enough to consistently detect infection while the incumbent is at a viral load that is lower than would result in active spreading, then that could also help minimize the instances of facilities like long term care centres getting hit.

As I paraphrased in a different post (and likely on a different thread), you can't get 100% certainty - if that's the basis of doing or not doing something, then no meaningful response can be made.  The name of the game is reduction, and even if the tests are only 50% effective, that's still a reduction of 50% of possible spreader incidents that would otherwise not have been detected,  thus increasing the instances of spreading by twice the number of avoidable events.

if that were possible, maybe what your saying could be a thing, but as @skategal pointed out there aren't enough tests available for that kind of thing. Maybe this will be a good outcome from covid tho for other things down the road. 

2 hours ago, Stelar said:

Show me anywhere where he has stated to not follow any of the guidelines. Again, I am not a supporter of his but he has not been the problem. He is trying to balance the economic issues with the health issues and Albertans have failed at it. Otherwise our cases wouldn’t be where they are 

I mean the screw you attitude he's encouraged since the day he was elected

I'm actually a little upset now after talking to a friend from Ontario, actually very upset.

This is actually a joke imo, the Province of Ontario has a death rate of 2.8%, here in B.C. the death rate is at 1.4%. But in Ontario they get to celebrate Christmas with their families in other people's households up to 10 people indoor, and 25 outdoor in some areas since the color zones control their province. Yet in B.C. we can't even do anything of that for Christmas, heck even if Ontario went into the grey zone lockdown it still says they can have up to 10 people gather outside, but here in B.C. were not even in lockdown and can't even have people gather outside.... Like seriously this actually makes no sense anymore, why in B.C. is it stricter when it's actually worse in Ontario, why isn't Canada making their restrictions the same as ours? Why are people in B.C. getting screwed more imo. 

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'm actually a little upset now after talking to a friend from Ontario, actually very upset.

This is actually a joke imo, the Province of Ontario has a death rate of 2.8%, here in B.C. the death rate is at 1.4%. But in Ontario they get to celebrate Christmas with their families in other people's households up to 10 people indoor, and 25 outdoor in some areas since the color zones control their province. Yet in B.C. we can't even do anything of that for Christmas, heck even if Ontario went into the grey zone lockdown it still says they can have up to 10 people gather outside, but here in B.C. were not even in lockdown and can't even have people gather outside.... Like seriously this actually makes no sense anymore, why in B.C. is it stricter when it's actually worse in Ontario, why isn't Canada making their restrictions the same as ours? Why are people in B.C. getting screwed more imo. 

Perhaps the people in B.C. are more competent. If I was an Ontarian I'd be wondering why my government is so lax.

Truly, double the mortality rate, but go ahead and have your party. Looks like a choice of economy over  death rate.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

Perhaps the people in B.C. are more competent. If I was an Ontarian I'd be wondering why my government is so lax.

Truly, double the mortality rate, but go ahead and have your party. Looks like a choice of economy over  death rate.

Here in Quebec Xmas is shut down,and they might impose full on lock down during the holidays.

But,folks are going with the flow around here in the red zone. :gocan:

Edited by blaise

US covid-19 death toll was a record 3112 Wednesday

Thu 10 Dec 2020 01:08:02 GMT

Reuters tally

This is a staggering number and with little sign of any drop in new cases, it's tough to see any near-term decline.

There are signs of a plateau in the global pandemic but Denmark, Cyprus and Niger all had record cases today.

Here's a chart forecasting Eurozone and US cases/fatalities from Exante:

Reuters tally

More deaths than on 9/11.
Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

It's not the total numbers they are looking at. It's the rate of increase. The rate of increase in BC recently is staggering. If they do not clamp down hard we will be where Ontario is in no time.

They are being proactive (avoiding a mess) vs being reactive (cleaning up a mess).

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

https://www.nanaimobulletin.com/business/victoria-area-quality-foods-launches-innovative-new-cart-cleaning-device/#:~:text=The Clean Cart is the,and go about their shopping.

Just saw this on the news...amazing.  I hope they get them everywhere!

Quality Foods advertising manager, Regan Beaulieu, (left) and president, Noel Hayward, (right) stand in front of the Clean Cart on its first day of testing, Nov. 12. (Jane Skrypnek/News Staff)

Quality Foods advertising manager, Regan Beaulieu, (left) and president, Noel Hayward, (right) stand in front of the Clean Cart on its first day of testing, Nov. 12. (Jane Skrypnek/News Staff)

Victoria-area Quality Foods launches innovative new cart cleaning device

The Clean Cart uses far-UV light and is the first of its kind in Canada

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Starting Thursday, shoppers at Quality Foods in View Royal can take part in testing a piece of innovative COVID-19 technology.

The Clean Cart is the first of its kind in Canada and uses far-UV light to kill 99.9 per cent of viruses on shopping carts. Now, when customers enter Quality Foods, they can grab a cart, push it into the cleaning cube, wait for the light to turn green and go about their shopping.

"It’s the cleanest you can get a shopping cart,” president of Quality Foods, Noel Hayward, said proudly. While most grocery stores have been diligently sanitizing shopping cart handles between each customer, the Clean Cart cleans every single part of the cart. Hayward also emphasized that the far-UV light is completely safe. “It can’t penetrate your skin or your eyes so it’s very safe and very fast,” he said. To be exact, it takes 20 seconds for each cart to be cleaned. For customers who like to bring reusable bags, they can clean those too by leaving them in their shopping cart while it sits in the Clean Cart. “We’ve also been told that you could – if you were really concerned about germs – come back and run it through again with your groceries after you’re done shopping,” store manager, Roger Prive, said. Eventually, they would like to set it up so customers can run their strollers through too, Prive added. For now, the grocery store is looking for feedback. Prive said they will soon have a survey up on their website and social media where people can let them know what they think. Creators of the Clean Cart, PCL Construction and Sterilray, have been working on the device for over six months now and will be working to get it into grocery stores across North America.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

It’s hard to fathom the US death rate each day.  3000 is like one of those mega cruise ships sinking every single day.  The numbers in the US are staggering.

We should feel lucky that we have strict guidelines right now in BC, because the alternative gets worse fast.

I live in a community of about 6000 people.

Every two days...we all would be gone...hard to fathom is right. 

• Vintage 2

19 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

It's not the total numbers they are looking at. It's the rate of increase. The rate of increase in BC recently is staggering. If they do not clamp down hard we will be where Ontario is in no time.

They are being proactive (avoiding a mess) vs being reactive (cleaning up a mess).

Ok so B.C. does all this work to be proactive, but allows the ones not being proactive to still come and travel here to help spread it so we can still stay more proactive, while they still don't. So what's the point in being so proactive then?

• Wat 1

10 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Ok so B.C. does all this work to be proactive, but allows the ones not being proactive to still come and travel here to help spread it so we can still stay more proactive, while they still don't. So what's the point in being so proactive then?

Horgan pro-actively invited all Albertans to come to BC last summer and holiday here.....  wow.......

52 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

It’s hard to fathom the US death rate each day.  3000 is like one of those mega cruise ships sinking every single day.  The numbers in the US are staggering.

We should feel lucky that we have strict guidelines right now in BC, because the alternative gets worse fast.

1500+ Died on the Titanic. 

That's like two Titanic's a day. 

32 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

It's not an exact science. The point of being proactive is to prevent us duplicating the circus to the south of us. You want Vancouver to turn into L.A.?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

32 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's a good reminder not to let this thing get away from us over the holidays or we could be in REAL trouble in the new year.   Numbers are on the cusp of exploding.

So the vaccines will go to health care workers and care homes first (batches).  Then phase two in late December/early January people 80+ and into March-April other groups of health care/front line workers, teachers, etc.  By September everyone who wants to should be vaccinated.  We're just entering the back stretch...keep your safety protocols in place people.

The best part of it, is that the most vulnerable population (everyone over 50yrs old) will be vaccinated before summer and by then, the COVID-19 infection #s will be dwindling fast and the death rate very low. I believe I heard Horgan say something about the summer being much more sociable.:gocan: