The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Do you think we should have vaccine passports to go to other countries then? Or other provinces?

I think it was Horgan (maybe another premier though) who supported vaccine passports but only for foreigners and didn't feel Canadians should get them.  I was like "little bit of a double standard there bud"

PS: I do somewhat support the idea of vaccine passports being someone who will be vaccinated myself.  But I am not giving my kids the shot any time soon.

No, I wouldn't either, I'd go to a facility that's providing them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Do you think we should have vaccine passports to go to other countries then? Or other provinces?

I think it was Horgan (maybe another premier though) who supported vaccine passports but only for foreigners and didn't feel Canadians should get them.  I was like "little bit of a double standard there bud"

PS: I do somewhat support the idea of vaccine passports being someone who will be vaccinated myself.  But I am not giving my kids the shot any time soon.

Other countries for sure, and foreign people coming here.  Not too sure about interprovincial travel though.  

1 hour ago, Russ said:

So how do we get schools back to normal if kids don't get vaccinated?  Grade 6 immunizations are going on in my school today, what's the difference?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

So how do we get schools back to normal if kids don't get vaccinated?  Grade 6 immunizations are going on in my school today, what's the difference?

I think they are planning on getting the kids vaccinated in the summer prior to returning to school.  Need to get the adults vaccinated first.

10 minutes ago, BPA said:

I think they are planning on getting the kids vaccinated in the summer prior to returning to school.  Need to get the adults vaccinated first.

The poster said no way he's getting his kid vaccinated, so if that's a prevailing sentiment, how do we get schools running normally?

1 hour ago, stawns said:

The poster said no way he's getting his kid vaccinated, so if that's a prevailing sentiment, how do we get schools running normally?

hopefully they continue with mass testing and his kid will get rooted out when he/she gets sick. Its irresponsible but its something we have to live with. 

3 hours ago, stawns said:

My kids 3 and 1. Going to wait for more info well before I would consider vaccinating them when the time comes.

And I said "any time soon" not "never" so way to twist my words. 

Edited by Russ
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Russ said:

My kids 3 and 1. Going to wait for more info well before I would consider vaccinating them when the time comes.

It is looking like approval for children as young as around 4 will get approval late this year or early next year.  By then, participants in the phased trials last year would have been fully vaccinated for a full year and many of the early 12 to 15 year old children will have been fully vaccinated.  That should provide a wealth of data when it comes to approving vaccinations for younger children.  Hardly something a rushed job, experimental vaccine would look like.

EDIT:  just providing some info.  Not being critical of your position.  Vaccines for your children probably won't be available until next year.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/05/20/998533237/fauci-says-he-expects-vaccines-for-younger-children-by-end-of-year-or-early-2022

Fauci Says He Expects Vaccines For Younger Children By End Of Year Or Early 2022

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds

11 minutes ago, Russ said:

that's fair

1 hour ago, Mj2345 said:

What’s going on in Manitoba? They recorded 603 new cases today, I believe it’s their highest daily count since the pandemic started.

Maybe the Albertans mad about their lockdown are going there, now that they aren't suppose to come here. ;)

Edited by BCNeil
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mj2345 said:

What’s going on in Manitoba? They recorded 603 new cases today, I believe it’s their highest daily count since the pandemic started.

Probably thought, "Things are ok now"

Rather than "It's getting better, but still need to be careful".

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, johngould21 said:

On my walk yesterday, I came across a fellow who I've casually spoken to often, having seen him on the trails many times over the past few years. He had just arrived back in Burnaby after taking a trip to Fort St John to visit his daughter and son in law. All I heard was how much a sham the John and Bonny show is over the travel restrictions. He's been vaccinated, he says, but I somehow don't know if he was. Passport, hell no! As I walked away, I said to my friend, you and I have stayed home for the most part, haven't visited our grandkids, or had them over to our place since this began. We have visited on our deck, and in our home with the windows and doors open, and stayed apart while doing so, and wear masks. I was so pi*&ed with this guys entitlement. This is what we're up against folks, and this is why the border should never be open until we're at 75% or better, and some sort of proof of vaccination is provided at our border. 

TOTALLY with you on this. I  have not seen my elderly mother in almost 2 years and she is, sadly, slowly failing. She lives in another health authority at the coast.

I have followed every single bloody protocol in order to do my part....and in order to protect others from ME.

And then, people I know well have flouted the PHOs.....done EXACTLY as they've pleased, thumbing their noses at requests from government....jumping the queues for vaccinations...... had company come from Alberta....... have rolled their eyes at me when I refuse an invitation to a birthday party being held indoors..

I am so &^@#ing sick of self-entitled assholes who seem to think that they have no responsibilities in this. Either to themselves or to others...and not even strangers, but members of their family who may not be so healthy or without comorbidities.

I fully support a vaccine passport....100%....but it needs to be full proof and unable to to faked...OMG...now we're back to something in the vaccine that they could scan us for that will say if we've been vaccinated or not...cue the conspiracy theories! :o:lol::ph34r:

Keep our borders closed until we are at LEAST 75% vaccinated as is the country of origin from which visitors would enter. AND they must show proof of vaccination... BOTH doeses.

We're ALL tired of this pandemic.....but it is absolutely disheartening to watch people refusing to do their part so we can all get out of this as quickly and safely as possible. If nothing else, it truly has been a study in human nature, this past 14 months....People I would never have thought would (or could) act so selfishly have proven that they can....and others have gone way over the top to ensure that they and those they love remain safe and COVID-free.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

I fully support a vaccine passport....100%....but it needs to be full proof and unable to to faked...OMG...now we're back to something in the vaccine that they could scan us for that will say if we've been vaccinated or not...cue the conspiracy theories! :o:lol::ph34r:

Keep our borders closed until we are at LEAST 75% vaccinated as is the country of origin from which visitors would enter. AND they must show proof of vaccination... BOTH doeses.

Yes, some sort of proof that can't be faked.  With substantial penalties to any faked documents.  For foreigners trying to enter Canada, lifetime ban.  For Canadians huge fines and void their passports.  I guess the government will still have to figure out which vaccines will count?  Will Chinese or Russian vaccines count?  

I think 75% is a good number before we open up.  But it might be a bit high to expect that from other countries.  America will never get that high.  India will never get that high.  

I don't know how well that would go with the USA.  Telling them we are interested in opening the border, but for us travelling there only.  I think as long as they have both doses it will be fine.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Cerridwen said:

TOTALLY with you on this. I  have not seen my elderly mother in almost 2 years and she is, sadly, slowly failing. She lives in another health authority at the coast.

I have followed every single bloody protocol in order to do my part....and in order to protect others from ME.

And then, people I know well have flouted the PHOs.....done EXACTLY as they've pleased, thumbing their noses at requests from government....jumping the queues for vaccinations...... had company come from Alberta....... have rolled their eyes at me when I refuse an invitation to a birthday party being held indoors..

I am so &^@#ing sick of self-entitled assholes who seem to think that they have no responsibilities in this. Either to themselves or to others...and not even strangers, but members of their family who may not be so healthy or without comorbidities.

We're ALL tired of this pandemic.....but it is absolutely disheartening to watch people refusing to do their part so we can all get out of this as quickly and safely as possible. If nothing else, it truly has been a study in human nature, this past 14 months....People I would never have thought would (or could) act so selfishly have proven that they can....and others have gone way over the top to ensure that they and those they love remain safe and COVID-free.

Well said, and much better than I could have said it, thank you!

4 hours ago, Russ said:

I've got a 3yo and 1yo too... the 1yo is nursing, so our hope is she is getting some antibodies from my wife (who has had her vaccination)... the 3yo is also drinking pumped milk.  There have been studies done already where antibodies have been shown to be present in breast milk upto 80 days after the mother received the vaccine. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/vaccinated-mothers-can-transfer-coronavirus-antibodies-through-breast-milk-studies-suggest-1.5380478

Edited by HKSR